What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
Wulfshead

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by Wulfshead »

This week I will be working on a project long in the planning but shunted into this weeks schedule by the turn of fate.
I had been wanting to start on a build of a dryer/smoker and to that end I had asked my friend to pick me up a large empty gas canister when he is out and about.
As the curse of DIY is still going on we were smashing up our old double glazing and getting it ready for the aforementioned friend to take it down the dump with us.
I then noticed the old fridge we had left out for the scrap metal man to pick up. He had already taken the compressor off it but seemed not interested in the main body of the fridge.
So I chucked the fridge back out into the back garden ready for tomorrow (Wednesday) to begin the project proper.
I can't use my workshop as my son is still squatting his music studio in there and has a fit if he thinks metal filings have attacked his amp electrics and guitar pickups lol.
Now as sword forging is put on a hold while his equipment is in my workshop I seem to have a coal forge outside without work to do.
I shall use my coal forge as the wood burner side of the smoker and I will be spending today (Tuesday) doing a bit of study on designs and how to turn them into something that suits my stuff.
It's things like length of flue liner so the meat gets an even smoking without to much heat to over cook the meat that I need study.
I can do all the fabrication outside of my workshop which pleases my son :lol:
I justified my project to my wife by saying that we bought 500 o2 absorbers so it would be good to have some use for them :lol: :lol:
The dear Mrs Wulfhead don't need much convincing.
So that's my plan for this week, study, buy bits and build a smoker/dryer

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

A sunny day here; so I reproofed my tarps. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Wulfshead good luck with the smoker, sounds amazing.

Andy good news on my roof - my insurance company did return my call first thing this morning, and because of your post I mentioned the "I don't know if the damage even exceeds my excess" and they don't automatically log every call as a claim, so I still haven't made one. So I phoned the builder who did my repointing a few years ago, and they've already sent their roofer round to get a quote to give to him to give to me, and he's coming round tomorrow about the fence and the side gate. Result :D

I make lots of tea for builders - they always remark on how well I look after them :D

It did make me think about how the housing stock would decay if the economy seized up, like with the banking crisis or a pandemic or something.
MissPrep

Post by MissPrep »

Cheese:

You are supposed to use unhomogenised whole milk for most cheeses, you can buy it pasteurised in Tesco, Waitrose & Sainsburys. As far as I know Asda don't seem to do it, but I could be wrong.
Ideally it should also be unpasteurised but I think you'd need to be friends with a farmer or own a cow to get that.

I've made cottage cheese (using live yoghurt with a recipie from the Lakeland soft cheese book), mascarpone & ricotta so far with the Sainsburys milk (Sainsbury's Jersey Milk, Taste the Difference 750ml for 75p) & they've all turned out nicely.
I only made small quantities of each though so didn't work out that expensive for me to experiment.

Tesco Finest Channel Island Milk 1L is the Tesco one (£1 for 1 litre)

Waitrose Duchy Organic traditional whole milk unhomogenised is the Waitrose one & the cheapest as the 4 pint bottle works out at 81p a litre.
I have to do a £60 order from Waitrose to get it delivered so don't use them often.
defender130

What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by defender130 »

Wulfshead if you have a look at Horizon smokers

www.horizonbbqsmokers.com

I saw a couple of models of there's last year in the big bass pro store in Orlando and was very impressed with there build quality and design

There is enough information on there website to get an idea of what's worth being in a design for a smoker

The heavier guage steel the better the heat retention, offset smoke box design looks good and with there special baffle plate allows even cooking, it's just small holes for heat at the fire box end and larger ones at the other end but a clever idea to get even heat to the stuff being smoked

I am pretty certain with the dimensions and all photos of the model I wanted I can work out the dimensions I didn't have and will be building one as soon as time allows

You may get a few pointers of there site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

defender130 wrote:Wulfshead if you have a look at Horizon smokers

http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com

I saw a couple of models of there's last year in the big bass pro store in Orlando and was very impressed with there build quality and design

There is enough information on there website to get an idea of what's worth being in a design for a smoker

The heavier guage steel the better the heat retention, offset smoke box design looks good and with there special baffle plate allows even cooking, it's just small holes for heat at the fire box end and larger ones at the other end but a clever idea to get even heat to the stuff being smoked

I am pretty certain with the dimensions and all photos of the model I wanted I can work out the dimensions I didn't have and will be building one as soon as time allows

You may get a few pointers of there site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers Defender, all info welcomed and thanks for taking the time to offer that link for considerations :D

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

MissPrep wrote:Cheese:

You are supposed to use unhomogenised whole milk for most cheeses, you can buy it pasteurised in Tesco, Waitrose & Sainsburys. As far as I know Asda don't seem to do it, but I could be wrong.
Ideally it should also be unpasteurised but I think you'd need to be friends with a farmer or own a cow to get that.

I've made cottage cheese (using live yoghurt with a recipie from the Lakeland soft cheese book), mascarpone & ricotta so far with the Sainsburys milk (Sainsbury's Jersey Milk, Taste the Difference 750ml for 75p) & they've all turned out nicely.
I only made small quantities of each though so didn't work out that expensive for me to experiment.

Waitrose Duchy Organic traditional whole milk unhomogenised is the Waitrose one & the cheapest as the 4 pint bottle works out at 81p a litre.
I have to do a £60 order from Waitrose to get it delivered so don't use them often.
You can also make cheese with your Easiyo. If you don't have the instructions I will dig out my book.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Defender,
Just finished going over that site in the link you sent me and it seems I'm pretty good to go.
I just need some 100 mm dia pipe and the same diameter short flu connector and I'm ready to start fabricating.
I live in an area where Ash trees seem to be everywhere, I'd like to smoke with Oak but they are a bit hard to find as wind fallen and even off-cuts from saw mills cost the earth.
My next mission is find out which wood to smoke with that won't cost as much as a small nations yearly budget :lol:

Thanks again,
Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

MissPrep

Post by MissPrep »

Decaff wrote:
You can also make cheese with your Easiyo. If you don't have the instructions I will dig out my book.

Please do Decaff - I only have instructions for making yoghurt with mine, so I'd love to know more.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Decaff wrote:
MissPrep wrote:Cheese:

Thanks for this ladies, much appreciated
Knowledge is power