What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by Deeps »

Captain Darling wrote:I looked for a volunteer ranger position with National Trust this week and ended up applying for a new career choice and, if successful means me having to leave the army.

Hope they can wait a year :-S...
You should be able to go early if you've got a job lined up, I've known guys leave the Navy with only a couple of months notice. Another mate was effectively going to give less than a months notice when he was going to join the Police but it didn't happen in the end. These guys had done their 22 so maybe cut a bit more slack. Speak to both the resettlement people and your Divisional Officer (or whatever the equivalent). Good luck with it mate.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Got a bit of a bargain at the local COOP they had 3 pack onions @10p, works out I got a little under 5kg for 60p. Might pop back tomorrow and get some more. :D Was handy, I had just about run out of dehydrated Onions.
Last week they had 200g +100g free jars Nescafe for £3. The COOP is rapidly turning into a preppers paradise. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:Got a bit of a bargain at the local COOP they had 3 pack onions @10p, works out I got a little under 5kg for 60p. Might pop back tomorrow and get some more. :D Was handy, I had just about run out of dehydrated Onions.
Last week they had 200g +100g free jars Nescafe for £3. The COOP is rapidly turning into a preppers paradise. :D
I'll be putting a batch of onions on this afty Brambles, depending on if Her Maj has remembered to get herself a bottle of vino on the way home we'll have to take a wee trip to a supermarket. More onions maybe the order of the day. :D
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Good stuff Brambles! What a bargain :P
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I have a coop within walking distance, and I'm going there on Friday ... I wonder! Onions R Us :)
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Well it's been a mixed day today, we are having a short break in the lakes for the last couple of days the wife, 2 nieces and myself. I decided to attempt yet again to bring the wife round to our way of thinking. I bought a couple of tins of beans and sausages yesterday and while driving back to the hotel I asked if anyone was hungry. The nieces are 10 and 5 so are ever open doors where food is concerned. i pulled into a layby and dove into my GHB.

Minutes later the kids are tucking in to bowls of hot food, and loving it. The wife however was complaining about it been dark and refusing to get back in HER car with muddy boots on :roll:

I asked if she could see the benefit of it, she said yes but it was a lot of work, I even asked her opinion on if I'd forgotten anything, just a carrier bag for the rubbish says she. Damn I used mine on monday then she converted it to a rubbish bag so it never got put back. So since monday I haven't had one on me first time in god only knows how long.

The kids however were well impressed and the eldest now wants a little kit around purse size, so thats one convert at least.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

aldhelm wrote: just a carrier bag for the rubbish says she. Damn I used mine on monday then she converted it to a rubbish bag so it never got put back..

Send her an invoice for 5p :twisted:

Ordered myself a Mig welder today got some work to to on mrs andy's car and ive been hankering after one for a good few years now... :mrgreen: (how is this a prep.... break something made of metal... then try and mend it :ugeek: can see me hunting a big gas bottle to make a stove out of soon :tinfoil
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
defender130

What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by defender130 »

Have you gone for a normal gassed mig or a gas less one with the stupidly expensive wire ?

If a normal one and you need gas then look for your nearest depot for either Adams gas or Hobbyweld

Both of these do a smaller bottle (4ft high x 6inches dia) which you pay a deposit on and then have refilled when needed, unlike the bigger gas companies where they charge a stupidly high yearly rental on the bottle on top of refills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

defender130 wrote:Have you gone for a normal gassed mig or a gas less one with the stupidly expensive wire ?

If a normal one and you need gas then look for your nearest depot for either Adams gas or Hobbyweld

Both of these do a smaller bottle (4ft high x 6inches dia) which you pay a deposit on and then have refilled when needed, unlike the bigger gas companies where they charge a stupidly high yearly rental on the bottle on top of refills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone for gas mig as it's able to weld thin steel unlike gassless. just got a 10kg co2 & 5% Aragon mix. Local gas man is doing us initial charge of £91 deposit incl first fill and 31 per refil on hobby weld and no rental (another no rental place wanted.......... £75 deposit! then £45 per fill :shock: ) i asked our old engineer for ideas of places so got warned about rental. welder seems to work very well although perhaps the 0.6 mm wire was a little too thin least the 5kg should last me a err while
Last edited by Yorkshire Andy on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Half term next week so some free time on my hands.
Job 1) I need to sort out my allotment - the shed roof now has two holes in it and as the ground has been so boggy, its been pointless even trying to get down there. I have planned this years crops so I need to start to prepare the ground and fix up the raised beds from winter's damage. If I can, fix the shed roof and remove anything water damaged from in the shed. If not it will have to wait for hubby as he is taller than me!
Job 2) rotate and check the tinned food in the kitchen and under our spare bed.

So nowt exciting, just regular stuff.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)