Pleased i have candles!! putting together a power cut pack

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Pleased i have candles!! putting together a power cut pa

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Phone power bank.... Or a car phone charger so you can charge phones / tablets to keep the younger family members happy ;)

Few board games?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I've got a hand warmer that works off a charcoal stick, you light the end of the small stick, and then it goes in a lined tin (bit smaller than a tababco tin) bung it in an inside pocket and you'd be supprised the heat it gives off. There used to be for fishermen etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BCB-Guardsman ... SwR0JUOUnX
undomesticdiva

Post by undomesticdiva »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Phone power bank.... Or a car phone charger so you can charge phones / tablets to keep the younger family members happy ;)

Few board games?
luckily only me and The Bearded Wonder in the house, so no littles to keep entertained, shall definitely look into board games though, charity shop down the road has loads, and jigsaws too :)
undomesticdiva

Post by undomesticdiva »

sniper 55 wrote:I've got a hand warmer that works off a charcoal stick, you light the end of the small stick, and then it goes in a lined tin (bit smaller than a tababco tin) bung it in an inside pocket and you'd be supprised the heat it gives off. There used to be for fishermen etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BCB-Guardsman ... SwR0JUOUnX
great idea! although i am on a budget, so may have to shop around. My only issue is the charcoal and possible carbon monoxide being given off when it's lit :(
undomesticdiva

Post by undomesticdiva »

Arzosah wrote:It needs a minute in a microwave, but the heat from these lasts a long time: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microwaveable ... Tbz9y0lDmA

Do you have a little camping stove? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTABLE-GAS- ... SwgQ9Vs5w-
i actually made myself one of those from a pillowcase and a bag of rice haha :)
not much use with no power though lol :)
redskies wrote:A corded phone. The lines will keep working after the power goes out as long as you're not using the uncorded freedom thingies. We keep a corded phone so my mother can ring and ask if we've blown away!

I splurged last year and bought a calor gas heater. And when we had four days of no/dirty power, it was worth its weight in gold. Usual safety rules apply.

And we've just had an LPG cooker put in, paying particular attention so we got one that we can light with matches in the event of power cuts. No more cooking on camping stoves!
i've already got on thank goodness, i'm so pleased we have it otherwise we would have had no heating still lol :)
We do have a gas oven but it isn't connected yet as we can't afford to get it installed :(
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

undomesticdiva wrote:
great idea! although i am on a budget, so may have to shop around. My only issue is the charcoal and possible carbon monoxide being given off when it's lit :(
To be honest, burning anything indoors might lead to CO problems.

Buy a battery powered CO detector, they only cost 10 to 15 notes and the powerpack lasts for 7 years(I spend more on batteries for the smoke alarms) so its a cheap way to save your life
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
undomesticdiva

Post by undomesticdiva »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
undomesticdiva wrote:
To be honest, burning anything indoors might lead to CO problems.

Buy a battery powered CO detector, they only cost 10 to 15 notes and the powerpack lasts for 7 years(I spend more on batteries for the smoke alarms) so its a cheap way to save your life
Already have them installed around the house, but tbh i'd rather not put myself in a situation where they would be needed :)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I dimly remember that now you mention it, still good advice for everyone (even if I say so myself :oops: )
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
undomesticdiva

Post by undomesticdiva »

heh. have i made you blush? ;)
junmist

Post by junmist »

If you have room to store things, how about a hay box to keep food/liquids hot. A colour gas heater (one on wheels so you can move it from room to room), or if you don't fancy that a large dog or a couple of smaller ones :lol: Cats won't do as they keep their body temperature to themselves dogs on the other hand like to be generous and share there body heat.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle