Stress testing yourself

How are you preparing
digi

Re: Stress testing yourself

Post by digi »

Plymtom wrote:how to be on your guard whilst relaxing and letting your hair down :(
I spend many many hours at airports, both in the public side and air side, swapping between the 2 countless times a day, relaxed but always aware that there could be an 'issue' as any moment, and keeping on the lookout for anything that doesnt seem right.

3 months ago, swansea was playing football at home, and me and the mrs were in swansea center just bumbling around, seeing the sites, in the rain lol. as we approached the main enterance of the shopping center / bus station, still 100 yards away, i noticed a large black suitcase, alone, next to a bin. there were 2 or 3 people close to the entrance, so took a mental note, and carried on. 40 minutes later, we passed the same place again, the case was still there, but the people who were around the entrance were not. this cases owner was obviously nowhere to be seen. I went into the bus station to find the info desk was closed, so went into the costa coffe shop there, to enquire if there was any security around. I asked to speak to the manager, and explained what ive typed above and if any security was around, the manager said 'someones probably just forgotten it' and walked off. I know theres going to be a LOT of people filling the station shortly, so i go to the large tesco next to the bus station, and straight to the security guy there, and explain it again. He got straight onto his radio, leaving his post, before asking me to point it out, and thanking me saying he will get straight onto the police.

I know there wasnt an explosion, as it would have been in the news, but, i also dont know what happened after this. It could have been someones clothes accidentally left behind when rushing for a coach. It could have been 15Kg of nails and ball bearings with 5Kg of fertilizer in the middle of it.

I saw it there, it looked out of place, so i reported it. Its possible to be on guard and relax at the same time :)
23pioneer

Post by 23pioneer »

5 kids
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

digi wrote:I know there wasnt an explosion, as it would have been in the news, but, i also dont know what happened after this. It could have been someones clothes accidentally left behind when rushing for a coach. It could have been 15Kg of nails and ball bearings with 5Kg of fertilizer in the middle of it.

I saw it there, it looked out of place, so i reported it. Its possible to be on guard and relax at the same time :)
I've done the same sort of thing in the past, digi - a big suitcase at Golders Green coach station in London, in my case, I just phoned 999. They asked me to describe it, without going near it, asked if there were any electronics or wiring coming out of it. Happened again on the tube a few years later, tho that time I used the emergency phone system on the platform (and the phones have video liniked to them! I hadn't known that!). False alarm in both cases, I think, though not a hoax by me, of course.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I came across a similar case some years back in Paddington station at the height of the IRA bombing, I told the police in the station, one walked over to the case and without any warning just picked it up and opened it, lucky for him and the rest of the people in the busy station it was just clothes, how stupid can you get.
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

Hi
Think the stress testing is always good ,main thing is the planning reduces the anxiety hopefully, and we perform better. I always when on the move keep my wits about me ,just everyday life .
DT
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

Some of you will have heard of Col Jeff Cooper, he came up with a colour code for situational awareness, It has been taught to many people over the years & if you want to be one step ahead of the crowd its perhaps worth adopting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Coop ... color_code

This is of course tailored for the countries like the USA where you can carry a concealed weapon, but with a little adaption you can use this system to trigger different actions aimed at your self preservation.

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
grandad

Post by grandad »

sniper 55 wrote:I came across a similar case some years back in Paddington station at the height of the IRA bombing, I told the police in the station, one walked over to the case and without any warning just picked it up and opened it, lucky for him and the rest of the people in the busy station it was just clothes, how stupid can you get.
Was present at an incident many years ago when i was a plod biker,called to suspicious package in a busy area and having evacuated local buildings and closed road awaiting bomb squad(45 mins away in liverpool) a local plod decides to put his size ten through the package to,in his words,stop the overeaction ! the package had batteries,nails,marbles etc all over the gaff! he was of inspector rank and a compete mr manering,told you so,idiot.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

grandad wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:I came across a similar case some years back in Paddington station at the height of the IRA bombing, I told the police in the station, one walked over to the case and without any warning just picked it up and opened it, lucky for him and the rest of the people in the busy station it was just clothes, how stupid can you get.
Was present at an incident many years ago when i was a plod biker,called to suspicious package in a busy area and having evacuated local buildings and closed road awaiting bomb squad(45 mins away in liverpool) a local plod decides to put his size ten through the package to,in his words,stop the overeaction ! the package had batteries,nails,marbles etc all over the gaff! he was of inspector rank and a compete mr manering,told you so,idiot.
Back in 1981 met bomb squad officer Peter Gurney had just been to the location of the death of his friend Ken Howorth by an IRA bomb and was going to try and defuse a similar bomb near bye when a senior met officer asked him why he wasn't wearing a tie. This in the middle of a major incident involving the death of a squad member and with still devices left to defuse.
You have to wonder how some people reach a senior rank.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

sniper 55 wrote:
grandad wrote:
Back in 1981 met bomb squad officer Peter Gurney had just been to the location of the death of his friend Ken Howorth by an IRA bomb and was going to try and defuse a similar bomb near bye when a senior met officer asked him why he wasn't wearing a tie. This in the middle of a major incident involving the death of a squad member and with still devices left to defuse.
You have to wonder how some people reach a senior rank.
Join the Right Gardening club mate.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.