Ignorant Sheeple.

How are you preparing
sniper 55

Re: Ignorant Sheeple.

Post by sniper 55 »

I never tell people what I do, my family obviously know, and a few close friends have guessed I suspect. One figured it out after he got us both stranded in deep snow some years back (long story) Another caught on after noticing I always have a torch, stuff to make a fire etc, he's now sort of started to carry bits and bobs himself.
Jaeger48

Post by Jaeger48 »

My family comes from farming common ties during the great depression. My grandparents grew up in the depression, my parents learned to be prepared for adversity, and they've instilled that in me. My family is well prepared. I'm more worried about what would happen if the unprepared would try to take advantage of my parents now that they are older.
jansman

Post by jansman »

One of the chaps mentioned likes oriental food. So I took him some pak choi and mitsuna greens from my polytunnel as I have more than we will eat. His first reply was, " have you grown this?" Then, "Why? Its cheap enough to buy" followed by , " if its not from a shop, I dont fancy it!"

This is a fella who lives in the gym and only eats 'organic' etc.

One wonders at the future of mankind.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Oh the " cheaper to buy" comment I've heard so many times along with " if you count all the work involved then it's just not worth it" . I've also experienced the latter too. My sister in law has commented about preferring shop brought vegetables because the ones from the garden are "grown in shit" :roll:
digi

Post by digi »

my kids love the fresh from the garden veg, nothing beats that sort of freshness. Knowing you grew it yourself also adds to enjoying it more
redskies

Post by redskies »

jansman wrote:One wonders at the future of mankind.

This one doesn't. Royally and screwed are the words that come to mind, and we'll do it to ourselves!
Beardman

Post by Beardman »

I'm hearing a lot of the things in this thread.

A chap I know at work was a little down on his luck a while back as his Mrs had lost her job (there's an element of prepping there, but I didn't say anything as he was obviously struggling). Now I'm a pretty understanding bloke and he confided in me how worried he was that after paying the mortgage/bills etc he wouldn't have much left for anything else like clothing/food etc (again, not prepared).

Now I grow all my own veg and usually I have more than I need. Knowing he has 2 kids I brought him a bag of mixed veg just to help him out. Would you believe his wife wouldn't use some of it as it 'wasn't the proper shape like in the supermarkets'!

Gladly he is back on his feet and we have chatted a bit and lets just say he is more prepared now should something like this happen again. Still won't a carrot unless you can put a spirit level plush against it mind :roll:
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

jansman wrote:One of the chaps mentioned likes oriental food. So I took him some pak choi and mitsuna greens from my polytunnel as I have more than we will eat. His first reply was, " have you grown this?" Then, "Why? Its cheap enough to buy" followed by , " if its not from a shop, I dont fancy it!"

This is a fella who lives in the gym and only eats 'organic' etc.

One wonders at the future of mankind.
I would not worryJansman , It is called Natural Selection or Darwinism.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

grenfell wrote:Oh the " cheaper to buy" comment I've heard so many times along with " if you count all the work involved then it's just not worth it" . I've also experienced the latter too. My sister in law has commented about preferring shop brought vegetables because the ones from the garden are "grown in shit" :roll:
I get that about my chickens. Why bother - all that work - eggs are so cheap to buy - what about bird flu- etc etc. So most of them are told that I like them, they're pets, think big budgies. :) But it does annoy me that they think I'm stupid - but guess who they'll think of if no eggs are in the shops and it annoys me that I have to lie, I hate lying and I do have to, they're usually the last people I want to know what supplies I have or why.
Sparkyy

Post by Sparkyy »

Ive had this often about my fires, we have central heating all smart phone controlled fancy pants stuff but the second we have a power cut it heats the house about as good as licking the walls would yet they still don't get it :roll: the fires just keep going they're much nicer to look at than the underfloor heating or radiators and miles cheaper to run you can also cook dinner or boil water on the fires during a power cut good luck resting your coffee pot on the radiators. I'm not as into it as a lot of you guys with veg gardens and animals etc purely because of time (work etc) we do have a few months worth of food stocked though at all times. Similar to everyone else I don't talk to most about it because I got sick of trying to explain having a sensible approach to brain dead sheeple.