Winter Car preps

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Winter Car preps

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

MissAnpassad wrote:
HBP wrote:
MissAnpassad wrote:They will really mess up the asphalt and wear down quickly. You don't have that many days of snow in the UK.
Bear in mind that uk winter tyres are not studded so don't damage the roads. They are just a compound made for colder weather and have sipes for better grip.
They must still be made from softer rubber, and if it isn't cold enough, they aren't hard enough to withstand the friction of asphalt.
They last fine I've been running them since about 2007 and only needed 3 sets I fit them when the temp gets below about 7 degrees on a regular basis I'm using Norwegian made vredestein which constantly score well in the German ADAC tests

Newer advanced such as multiple compound mean michalin have just releases a all year round winter tyre

http://m.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimate?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
catch22

Re: Winter Car preps

Post by catch22 »

I carry a fair bit of kit in my navara due to my work being mobile.

The best items I have are a split charge circuit with leisure battery (will also start the truck) and mains inverter. In winter I carry cooking equipment and a cabin heater.

My latest purchase for less than £25 is my emergency puncture repair kit and a 12v inflator. In bad weather I'm not chaging the wheel, im plugging and I'm off.

Catch22