Winter Car preps

How are you preparing
sniper 55

Re: Winter Car preps

Post by sniper 55 »

Those are great, we used to carry the 2 person ones, (1 per every 2 people), there isn't a huge amount of space inside, but I've spent many hours on the top of heavly snowed Pen-y-fan sitting in one (many times) they soon snug up nicely. Ok they wont be the most confortable night you've ever spent, but you'll be still alive in the morning, they also fold up small and are light.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Thought i'd add to this rather than start as new topic as it's all relevant.

Had a nice little prep today make my life easier in the car.

We have a relatively new car with keyless ignition, you have a fob but no key and it just goes in your pocket and uses a radio signal to tell the car you're there and to start when you push the button. I'd heard that the batteries in the fobs don't last too long so when we got the car in August I replaced both fob batteries.
-But, also got a spare to leave in the car 'just in case'

Imagine my happiness this morning when the car wouldn't start after pressing the button, but after a few minutes of fiddling, new battery must have given a stronger/better signal and car started!

So as well as all the usual prep stuff in the car, i'd say at least one spare keyfob battery is a must! :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

yorkshirewolf wrote:Thought i'd add to this rather than start as new topic as it's all relevant.

Had a nice little prep today make my life easier in the car.

We have a relatively new car with keyless ignition, you have a fob but no key and it just goes in your pocket and uses a radio signal to tell the car you're there and to start when you push the button. I'd heard that the batteries in the fobs don't last too long so when we got the car in August I replaced both fob batteries.
-But, also got a spare to leave in the car 'just in case'

Imagine my happiness this morning when the car wouldn't start after pressing the button, but after a few minutes of fiddling, new battery must have given a stronger/better signal and car started!

So as well as all the usual prep stuff in the car, i'd say at least one spare keyfob battery is a must! :D
Check your handbook most have a hidden key blade in the fob and a start location in the dash. Know when I washed a ford key fob holding it against the bit of trim in the dash let me start it
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
piglet

Post by piglet »

I drive a lot, and as well as all the usual things people have already listed...I have in my vehicle, should I ever have to sit upon the embankment of a motorway in bad weather, a couple of different types of fold up seat (depends how long the wet grass might be at the time)
And also, one of those large fisherman's umbrella's to hunker down under.
ain't settlin'
HBP

Post by HBP »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Decent tyres ( how much tread is left on yours out of curiosity) and what make type and size are they? I ensured when I replaced mine I went for A rated wet grip

Will soon be switching to winter tyres
Winter tyres are great if you live anywhere that doesnt get gritted very often. In the snow they make a huge difference.

If we get the cold weather predicted this winter, they will be incredibly useful.

I was just looking on eBay and found 4x new winter tyres to fit my VW, mounted on new steel rims, for £260 delivered which I thought was pretty good. Just swap the wheels over every spring and autumn!

I also always have (summer or Winter):
A cheap tarp
Heavy Duty bin bags
Thickest and longest pair of jump leads I can find
A decent jack with a wooden pad to stand it on
A good wheel brace
A good quality big scale road atlas (doesnt need batteries or a signal)
A notebook with contact numbers and insurance policy/break down membership numbers
Duct tape
Cable ties.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

HBP makes a good point about jumper leads, I'd had some for years worked fine.....until I bought a diesel van, it seems a diesel engine needs more juice to get it started, so buy a heavy duty set, it wont make any difference if you've a petrol engine, but I couldn't start the diesel until I got proper ones.
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

I would recommend you to get those all season tires instead of the winter ones, as the winter ones aren't made for driving on a road that don't have snow or ice on it. They will really mess up the asphalt and wear down quickly. You don't have that many days of snow in the UK.
HBP

Post by HBP »

MissAnpassad wrote:They will really mess up the asphalt and wear down quickly. You don't have that many days of snow in the UK.
Bear in mind that uk winter tyres are not studded so don't damage the roads. They are just a compound made for colder weather and have sipes for better grip.
Last edited by HBP on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HBP

Post by HBP »

sniper 55 wrote:HBP makes a good point about jumper leads, I'd had some for years worked fine.....until I bought a diesel van, it seems a diesel engine needs more juice to get it started, so buy a heavy duty set, it wont make any difference if you've a petrol engine, but I couldn't start the diesel until I got proper ones.
Yep, Diesel engines are a lot higher compression and will draw a lot of current when starting. Even more so in winter. I have seen cheap jump leads just melt so bigger is better.
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

HBP wrote:
MissAnpassad wrote:They will really mess up the asphalt and wear down quickly. You don't have that many days of snow in the UK.
Bear in mind that uk winter tyres are not studded so don't damage the roads. They are just a compound made for colder weather and have sipes for better grip.
They must still be made from softer rubber, and if it isn't cold enough, they aren't hard enough to withstand the friction of asphalt.