Winter Car preps

How are you preparing
gaba

Winter Car preps

Post by gaba »

well as of today i crashed my car due to a lot of surface water and dangerous roads, and this got me thinking,
what preps do i have place in my car and what preps do you have in your cars due to the upcoming winter
like, what do we have if we are stuck in grid lock because of snow or if our route is covered unpassable due
to the weather, just wondering if we can learn from each other to prepare for winter,

for example i have in my car

my bob
a large first aid kit
a gas stove and kettle (for those grid locked times)
took kit
spare tires
tow ropes
and torches

what do you guys have ? i would really like to hear because after today i really feel unprepared, any ideas ?
Deeps

Re: Winter Car preps

Post by Deeps »

There are a few threads on this already if you have a rummage.
gaba

Post by gaba »

Cheers, i will take a peak

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
digi

Post by digi »

as well as the usual spare tyre, jumpleads, bulbs / fuses, i also carry a 30L backpack, which contains

4x emergency space blankets
10 pairs hand warmers
4 pairs thermal gloves
4 thermal hats
4x pocket size packs tissues
a large, but basic, first aid kit
foldable shovel
2x heavy duty rubble sacks
a 1 person emergency orange survival bag
15 in 1 multi tool
compass
metal water bottle with karabina
4x 10 hr glow sticks
sewing kit
LED light, that can also flash high intensity pulses
paracord
2x lighters
fire steel and striker
cotton wool balls
4x ffp3 dust masks

im sure theres a few other bits in there, ill have to get it out and have a rummage. attached to it is also a paracord bracelet with emergency whistle, fire rod and striker, which would be put on my wrist as soon as i carry the bag

The car (and van) also has 12x 500ml bottles of water, that gets used in rotation each month and the center console contains a resqme window punch / belt cutter and metal yawara stick
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Decent tyres ( how much tread is left on yours out of curiosity) and what make type and size are they? I ensured when I replaced mine I went for A rated wet grip

Will soon be switching to winter tyres

I have a led mini led amber light bar high VIs waterproof trousers and jacket a 6 set of road flare led units

Fak
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
gaba

Post by gaba »

Wow thats quite a bit, cheers for that sounds pretty comprehensive

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

I've got a first aid kit, space blankets, parka jacket at the mo... Once snow starts coming down as I'm rural I will include 2 bottles of water and a shovel. Mobile phone is the best one to have as help is never far away!

In the area I live I'm quite confident someone would come to my aid if I were stranded, country people are much more helpful of strangers than city folk and I'm never more than 5 or 10 miles from the nearest town or village as the South East is the most densely populated part of Britain. So worst comes to worse I can walk to the nearest place if I need help.
Jaeger48

Post by Jaeger48 »

An extra wool blanket is always good. You can use it for ground cover if you're replacing a tyre or if it's cold and you have to wait out a gridlock jam.
Hedgie

Post by Hedgie »

I picked up some 6" - 6 hour glow sticks today from the local newsagents for 50p each - was selling them with the Halloween stuff.
Adding them to my car bag just in case.
On the Naughty Step . . . Again!
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I saw couple of lads on the other side of the motorway the other day, their car had broken down and there was a horrible storm raging. They dutifully stood up the embankment waiting for recovery (I presume) and it made me wonder what I would do if I broke down with my wife and kids in the car.

I've added this onto my wish list, it will keep the kids and lady wife nice and dry and warm, and they'll be high viz. Might get it next month.

http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/walk-hi ... Gwodr4ABVA

I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.