Want to know the best place to bug out?

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: Want to know the best place to bug out?

Post by grenfell »

itsybitsy wrote:Anyone whose first post is smattered with talk of escaping from marauding pirates by diving to the depths of the ocean in the submarine they just happen to have on hand (with the corresponding sound effects of 'yarrrggg') really hasn't thought through either the ethos of prepping or their reasons for joining this forum.

Now, I'm off to hoist my Jolly Roger. Avast!
I found it interesting to read his introduction and first post together . In the submarine one he makes reference to piracy as you say and in his introduction he talks about taking supplies from "easy targets" so one can only assume his submarine would be flying the Jolly Roger itself . :?
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Bosworth wrote:I think we are being very disrespectful to someone who took the trouble to think through a scenario and post some thoughts to us for comment. A collection of posts that looks and feels like bullying is a pretty poor way to generate creative debate. It's a small step from here to shouting down any alternative thinking on any topic.

I would encourage you to read the thread again from the top and ask yourselves how it would feel if you were the OP or how it would look if this was your first visit to this wonderful site.
Well, maybe we were a bit disrespectful to the idea of a homemade submarine as a long term bug-out/survival vehicle.

With that in mind, i have taken inspiration from it. I will be changing my name to Stromberg and will be on Kickstarter soon in the hope of building my dream:
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (8.2 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
unsure

Post by unsure »

yorkshirewolf wrote:Can i ask Deeps - why is the periscope up when it's underwater? :lol:

:lol: it not a periscope , its a snorkle . :lol:
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

yorkshirewolf wrote:
Bosworth wrote:I think we are being very disrespectful to someone who took the trouble to think through a scenario and post some thoughts to us for comment. A collection of posts that looks and feels like bullying is a pretty poor way to generate creative debate. It's a small step from here to shouting down any alternative thinking on any topic.

I would encourage you to read the thread again from the top and ask yourselves how it would feel if you were the OP or how it would look if this was your first visit to this wonderful site.
Well, maybe we were a bit disrespectful to the idea of a homemade submarine as a long term bug-out/survival vehicle.

With that in mind, i have taken inspiration from it. I will be changing my name to Stromberg and will be on Kickstarter soon in the hope of building my dream:
I see your undersea base and I raise you....

Mwah ha ha ha ha.
Lyonic

Post by Lyonic »

Just wanted to say thanks to Bosworth as I'm kind of a gentle giant and shy away from conflict often. I get that its pretty insane to try and build a submarine etc but the idea of survival at sea seems interesting. Now by no means can i afford a big boat hehe but in sure you must have seen a few stories of people surviving at sea for extended periods, sometimes in only a liferaft.

I think because I have such fear of other people and what they are capable off i would not feel comfortable being alone in the woods or something. I guess the fact that the majority of you fellas seem pretty grounded only reinforces the idea for me; in that the less people consider it the more viable it seems. i do alot of fishing and i know that scent carries well in the water. If i put the guts on a treble something will come to me, because the ocean does not waste..

I did like the drawn picture though hehe!

Just to expand a little, I am not talking about a deep dive travel miles etc kinda thing. Its more an expandable platform that has limited dive capabilities. If only to take you off the horizon long enough for something to pass. Given enough time you wont have to be so vigilant i would bet and most civilization is on the coast or kn rivers. If you can rekky something with a few hundred feet of water between any possible dangerous people i don't know what's safer.

Would love to hear some pros and cons and maybe some expansion from you guys. I have been watching you for a while and you are full of good advise and seem like a nice bunch.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Okay, I wasn't around for the last lot - you're right, Lyonic, peeps on here are a good bunch, and you really tickled their fancy with the idea of a submarine.

Taking you off the horizon (out of the equation?) long enough for something to pass, thats interesting. I'm still with the subtext of what everyone is really saying, that its probably impractical, but I love this kind of thinking project.

So why not a boat? One thats big enough to hide behind a lump of rocks somewhere? I can't remember where you are, but you're fairly isolated, aren't you? So offshore in an isolated area would be more do-able. http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sal ... 0,000.html (a boat is a retirement fantasy of mine, can you tell :mrgreen: )

You'd still need somewhere to come back to ... and as a hopefully grounded person, there are other things far more likely to happen than this sort of total event.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Lyonic wrote:Just wanted to say thanks to Bosworth as I'm kind of a gentle giant and shy away from conflict often. I get that its pretty insane to try and build a submarine etc but the idea of survival at sea seems interesting. Now by no means can i afford a big boat hehe but in sure you must have seen a few stories of people surviving at sea for extended periods, sometimes in only a liferaft.

I think because I have such fear of other people and what they are capable off i would not feel comfortable being alone in the woods or something. I guess the fact that the majority of you fellas seem pretty grounded only reinforces the idea for me; in that the less people consider it the more viable it seems. i do alot of fishing and i know that scent carries well in the water. If i put the guts on a treble something will come to me, because the ocean does not waste..

I did like the drawn picture though hehe!

Just to expand a little, I am not talking about a deep dive travel miles etc kinda thing. Its more an expandable platform that has limited dive capabilities. If only to take you off the horizon long enough for something to pass. Given enough time you wont have to be so vigilant i would bet and most civilization is on the coast or kn rivers. If you can rekky something with a few hundred feet of water between any possible dangerous people i don't know what's safer.

Would love to hear some pros and cons and maybe some expansion from you guys. I have been watching you for a while and you are full of good advise and seem like a nice bunch.
Would an island not do then ? I'd step away from the submarine idea mate, they're very complex and expensive toys, how would you get it to sink and more importantly how would you get it back to the surface, and how would you keep it there if its designed to sink. How would you know when to come back up unless you have some kind of way of knowing that danger has passed and how long could you stay submerged. All in all, not practical.

I hope your 'gentleness' has been extended to the 'easy targets', its nice to be nice. :D
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

While a home made scuba submarine is easy enough to buld, something big enough to live in is a different thing.
First off to escape the force of a bad storm you need to go down a hundred feet or so, thats a lot of water pressure, you need a solid pressure hull big enough for you all your stuff, your air and your power and fuel (thats a fair bit of space) You'll need an engine of some sort to power a compressor so you can refill the air bottles for breathing air and to "blow" the boyancy tanks to surface. Also remember it's not so much air thats the problem, the build up of CO2 will kill you long before the air runs out unless you have some sort of "scrubber" (no jokes please) to remove it.
Thats before you get to actually moving the thing around, then you need an engine rudder, maybe dive planes, some means of seeing where your going under water, remember all this has to withstand the water pressure (around 45lb per square inch at 100 ft)
For moving under water you need electric motors and batteries, and a way of controling it all and recharging the batteries
You'll also need some way to make fresh water, a desalination plant of some sort to get water while at sea for long periods.
I appluad the idea, I really do, but as a home build I think it's a bit ambitious, even the Navy with it's resources had problems with early submarines, heck even these days the can still go missing.
The water idea is a cracker, personally I think I'd look for a deserted island, theres loads off Scotland or if your boat will get there Asia theres around 300 uninhabited island in the south China sea. Failing that a really quiet bit of coastline somewhere.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Loads of deserted islands off Scotland , well yes because there's no power ,no fresh water, no edible vegetation , nothing grows and you have to tie yourself to the rock so you don't get blown away .

Their deserted for a reason ..... oh and are probably owned by someone too. Who long gave up on them as they are of no use .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

poppypiesdad wrote:Loads of deserted islands off Scotland , well yes because there's no power ,no fresh water, no edible vegetation , nothing grows and you have to tie yourself to the rock so you don't get blown away .

Their deserted for a reason ..... oh and are probably owned by someone too. Who long gave up on them as they are of no use .

J
You'd need a desalinination plant for a sub so the same difference, you cant grow stuff on a sub either. People lived on many of the islands as crofters years ago, better bet than sitting on the sea bed hoping your home made sub will surface.