Want to know the best place to bug out?

How are you preparing
yorkshirewolf

Re: Want to know the best place to bug out?

Post by yorkshirewolf »

poppypiesdad wrote:I can't believe everyone is being so negative ,it's sounds like a great plan , me myself being 6 miles from the nearest part of the coast and 159m above sea level will definitely be building one myself , in pink ,with windows but no periscope, now got to go fire up the welder ..........

I might just bury it until the sea level rises then float away, kind of a bunker sub .
There's only one problem i can see.... -make sure the pink paint isn't emulsion. :D
RomTownTon

Post by RomTownTon »

poppypiesdad wrote:I can't believe everyone is being so negative ,it's sounds like a great plan , me myself being 6 miles from the nearest part of the coast and 159m above sea level will definitely be building one myself , in pink ,with windows but no periscope, now got to go fire up the welder ..........

I might just bury it until the sea level rises then float away, kind of a bunker sub .
Bunker-sub! Genius! You could hide the periscope amongst some shrubberies...
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

I think we are being very disrespectful to someone who took the trouble to think through a scenario and post some thoughts to us for comment. A collection of posts that looks and feels like bullying is a pretty poor way to generate creative debate. It's a small step from here to shouting down any alternative thinking on any topic.

I would encourage you to read the thread again from the top and ask yourselves how it would feel if you were the OP or how it would look if this was your first visit to this wonderful site.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

...and having just taking my own advice and read the thread again I noticed that this was the chap's first post.

What a welcome.

What are his skills?
What experiences does he have?
What learnings can he share about stocks and preps?
What scenarios does he see likely and why?

I guess we'll never know because he is unlikely to ever come back.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bosworth wrote:I think we are being very disrespectful to someone who took the trouble to think through a scenario and post some thoughts to us for comment. A collection of posts that looks and feels like bullying is a pretty poor way to generate creative debate. It's a small step from here to shouting down any alternative thinking on any topic.

I would encourage you to read the thread again from the top and ask yourselves how it would feel if you were the OP or how it would look if this was your first visit to this wonderful site.
Your post has been noted, and as a moderator , I respect it unreservedly. As a rank and file member I have been here a long time, and on the old website before that. Therefore I can say that I have seen a few folks come and go.

I can truthfully say that this topic has to be one of the most 'out there' I have seen! The moderation team could not believe that it was anywhere near serious either. As you know, we do not tolerate conspiracy theories, nor outlandish ideas. There are reasons for this.

The world at large sees preppers as nutters. Lets not beat about the bush. Nutters. Tuesdays Jeremy Vine show on BBC Radio 2 attempted to perpetuate that idea once again. Imagine if they had the original post of this thread? They would make mincemeat out of preppers and this site too. The moderators see, and delete, many posts that you do not, so that we can conduct sane discussions. That way, if a journalist does join this site ( and believe me we vet many), they will not think we are racing whackos.

The OP is what the mod team call a 'drive by', we get many. We spotted this one immediately. However, as I said, your post has been respectfully noted.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laRyswIO_-g

I cant help but have visions of Compo in the bike powered submarine in the canal in last of the summer wine...

First worry would be getting out of it should it spring a leak and what happens to all your preps...

its stability in bad weather,

and you really dont want it to resemble the feat of the K-141 Kursk :shock:

and how do you plan on keeping warm...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote:
Bosworth wrote:I think we are being very disrespectful to someone who took the trouble to think through a scenario and post some thoughts to us for comment. A collection of posts that looks and feels like bullying is a pretty poor way to generate creative debate. It's a small step from here to shouting down any alternative thinking on any topic.

Your post has been noted, and as a moderator , I respect it unreservedly. As a rank and file member I have been here a long time, and on the old website before that. Therefore I can say that I have seen a few folks come and go.

I can truthfully say that this topic has to be one of the most 'out there' I have seen! The moderation team could not believe that it was anywhere near serious either. As you know, we do not tolerate conspiracy theories, nor outlandish ideas. There are reasons for this.

The world at large sees preppers as nutters. Lets not beat about the bush. Nutters. Tuesdays Jeremy Vine show on BBC Radio 2 attempted to perpetuate that idea once again. Imagine if they had the original post of this thread? They would make mincemeat out of preppers and this site too. The moderators see, and delete, many posts that you do not, so that we can conduct sane discussions. That way, if a journalist does join this site ( and believe me we vet many), they will not think we are racing whackos.

The OP is what the mod team call a 'drive by', we get many. We spotted this one immediately. However, as I said, your post has been respectfully noted.
A 'drive by' submarine in fact... :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Oh bloody hell, Bosworth, talk about a sense of humour failure. Anyone whose first post is smattered with talk of escaping from marauding pirates by diving to the depths of the ocean in the submarine they just happen to have on hand (with the corresponding sound effects of 'yarrrggg') really hasn't thought through either the ethos of prepping or their reasons for joining this forum.

Now, I'm off to hoist my Jolly Roger. Avast!
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

itsybitsy wrote:
Oh bloody hell, Bosworth, talk about a sense of humour failure. Anyone whose first post is smattered with talk of escaping from marauding pirates by diving to the depths of the ocean in the submarine they just happen to have on hand (with the corresponding sound effects of 'yarrrggg') really hasn't thought through either the ethos of prepping or their reasons for joining this forum.

Now, I'm off to hoist my Jolly Roger. Avast!
Maybe I'm just taking it personally because I thought it was actually quite a good idea :) Well, the getting out to sea bit, perhaps not under the sea...
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

jansman wrote: Your post has been noted, and as a moderator , I respect it unreservedly. As a rank and file member I have been here a long time, and on the old website before that. Therefore I can say that I have seen a few folks come and go.

Thanks for the response and the sentiment. I do not envy your role - impossible to achieve mutually exclusive objectives! Perhaps delete the whole thread if it ticks those boxes you describe? I of course defer to your greater visibility and experience of these matters.