Winter Preps

How are you preparing
gadgetguy
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Winter Preps

Post by gadgetguy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:29 am

This week i shall be starting my winter preps.

1. I will be adapting my vehicle kit to provide more warmth,extra gloves hat winter sleeping bag and extra duvet jacket.Ice scrapers and deicer added, new tyres on order,not winters just need new tyres it's a Defender so will cope with a lot on standard rubber.

2. I keep 3 cell maglights,i have eight in handy locations around the house,for powercuts ;) ,i need to go around these and check batteries and see if there are any signs of corrosion on the terminals,they don't get used much and the batteries will last a couple of years easily.

3.Order in 500kg of coal this will add to the 500kg i got in August,in reality this will last for the next two years as we only use the coal fire in the"good"room occasionally,but last year i gave my Brother in law 200kg of coal and two cubic mtrs of logs as he was struggling with bills and could not heat his house :roll: ,he never thinks ahead.

4.i need to add 40ltrs of petrol to my store for the generator.

5. Check on the calour gas bottle situation i have five bottles for the BBQ and the portable coleman twin burner and grill,so swap out the empty ones for new.

This isn't a full winter prep but some things to be getting on with.

Whats everyone else doing for their winter preps :?:

User avatar
MissAnpassad
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Winter Preps

Post by MissAnpassad » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:18 pm

gadgetguy wrote:I will be adapting my vehicle kit to provide more warmth,extra gloves hat winter sleeping bag and extra duvet jacket.Ice scrapers and deicer added,
I would swap the duvet jacket for a wool jacket instead, because damp duvets aren't warm to wear, and they need constantly to be fluffed up especially in those kind of damp climates as you guys live in.
I had to google what a deicer was, as we don't have them here in this subarctic climate (that says a lot about the product). It seems like a waste of money, buy a tarp instead and cover your car with it when you have been out driving, then it won't get iced at all. And if you do get iced, just turn on the heat in the car on the "window mode" and the ice will lose in a couple of minutes. You should have a tiny blow torch (what ever you call them, it´s those you can use in the kitchen when you want to caramelize Crème brûlée and stuff like that) if the lock on the car door gets frozen, it can happen if it gets below -15 degrees Celcius.

My winter prepping? Same as all years, as we always have bad winters. A lot of firewood, woolen clothing etc, but I do need to buy some new winter boots as last years broke when i stepped on some rusty nails.

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 4979
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Winter Preps

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:25 pm

gadgetguy wrote:
4.i need to add 40ltrs of petrol to my store for the generator.

Not sure if you know its illegal to store more than 30 in a domesitc residence without a licence... unless its "in use"

http://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/enewsl ... orage.aspx
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

gadgetguy
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Re: Winter Preps

Post by gadgetguy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:04 pm

MissAnpassad wrote:
gadgetguy wrote:I will be adapting my vehicle kit to provide more warmth,extra gloves hat winter sleeping bag and extra duvet jacket.Ice scrapers and deicer added,
I would swap the duvet jacket for a wool jacket instead, because damp duvets aren't warm to wear, and they need constantly to be fluffed up especially in those kind of damp climates as you guys live in.
I had to google what a deicer was, as we don't have them here in this subarctic climate (that says a lot about the product). It seems like a waste of money, buy a tarp instead and cover your car with it when you have been out driving, then it won't get iced at all. And if you do get iced, just turn on the heat in the car on the "window mode" and the ice will lose in a couple of minutes. You should have a tiny blow torch (what ever you call them, it´s those you can use in the kitchen when you want to caramelize Crème brûlée and stuff like that) if the lock on the car door gets frozen, it can happen if it gets below -15 degrees Celcius.

My winter prepping? Same as all years, as we always have bad winters. A lot of firewood, woolen clothing etc, but I do need to buy some new winter boots as last years broke when i stepped on some rusty nails.

I will stick with my synthetic duvet,not planning on getting it wet.

The de icer is part of my preps and works fine here,it's not always convenient to cover the vehicle in a tarp but helpfull sometimes. I drive a defender so turning up the heat to window mode is like kicking an asthmatic smoker in his nether regions :lol: The locks are fine as I keep them properly lubricated. The problem with defenders is the door seals freezing and locking you out.
Last edited by gadgetguy on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gadgetguy
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Re: Winter Preps

Post by gadgetguy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:04 pm

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
gadgetguy wrote:
4.i need to add 40ltrs of petrol to my store for the generator.

Not sure if you know its illegal to store more than 30 in a domesitc residence without a licence... unless its "in use"

http://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/enewsl ... orage.aspx
Thanks YA yes well aware.

User avatar
yorkshirewolf
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 pm

Re: Winter Preps

Post by yorkshirewolf » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:25 pm

Winter tyres on order, got some last year on the van and they made a huge difference in the snow/slush.

Talked my dear wife into getting a decent parka winter coat rather than a stylish one, -that was a hard sell!

Emergency camping gear is in the van year round, saves storing it in the house and will be a lot more useful having it handy in a breakdown or bad traffic jam. -though i have added a travel kettle and brew kit.

Got winter boots out of storage (Danner Fort Lewis) to check them over and give them a polish.

pretty basic stuff really, but it's nice that most of the big stuff is done.

User avatar
Deeps
Posts: 5795
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: Winter Preps

Post by Deeps » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:46 pm

yorkshirewolf wrote:Winter tyres on order, got some last year on the van and they made a huge difference in the snow/slush.

Talked my dear wife into getting a decent parka winter coat rather than a stylish one, -that was a hard sell!

Emergency camping gear is in the van year round, saves storing it in the house and will be a lot more useful having it handy in a breakdown or bad traffic jam. -though i have added a travel kettle and brew kit.

Got winter boots out of storage (Danner Fort Lewis) to check them over and give them a polish.

pretty basic stuff really, but it's nice that most of the big stuff is done.
You must share your secret sensei.

User avatar
yorkshirewolf
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 pm

Re: Winter Preps

Post by yorkshirewolf » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:00 pm

Deeps wrote:
yorkshirewolf wrote:Winter tyres on order, got some last year on the van and they made a huge difference in the snow/slush.

Talked my dear wife into getting a decent parka winter coat rather than a stylish one, -that was a hard sell!

Emergency camping gear is in the van year round, saves storing it in the house and will be a lot more useful having it handy in a breakdown or bad traffic jam. -though i have added a travel kettle and brew kit.

Got winter boots out of storage (Danner Fort Lewis) to check them over and give them a polish.

pretty basic stuff really, but it's nice that most of the big stuff is done.
You must share your secret sensei.
Ha ha, Not sure i have a secret. more down to blind luck and military type clothing apparently being in fashion this year!

Also, i wrote our car off in January in the snow and ice, and she had to stand for ages in the cold while wearing her fashionable smart coat while i stood there warm in my wool pea coat and hat! Ok, i could have been chivalrous and given her my coat, but i'd specifically told her before we went out to put on a warmer coat and her reply was "what for, we'll be in the car?" so i let her get cold.

Tough love and all that! looks like it had an effect though!

User avatar
Deeps
Posts: 5795
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: Winter Preps

Post by Deeps » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:27 pm

yorkshirewolf wrote:
Deeps wrote:
yorkshirewolf wrote:Winter tyres on order, got some last year on the van and they made a huge difference in the snow/slush.

Talked my dear wife into getting a decent parka winter coat rather than a stylish one, -that was a hard sell!

Emergency camping gear is in the van year round, saves storing it in the house and will be a lot more useful having it handy in a breakdown or bad traffic jam. -though i have added a travel kettle and brew kit.

Got winter boots out of storage (Danner Fort Lewis) to check them over and give them a polish.

pretty basic stuff really, but it's nice that most of the big stuff is done.
You must share your secret sensei.
Ha ha, Not sure i have a secret. more down to blind luck and military type clothing apparently being in fashion this year!

Also, i wrote our car off in January in the snow and ice, and she had to stand for ages in the cold while wearing her fashionable smart coat while i stood there warm in my wool pea coat and hat! Ok, i could have been chivalrous and given her my coat, but i'd specifically told her before we went out to put on a warmer coat and her reply was "what for, we'll be in the car?" so i let her get cold.

Tough love and all that! looks like it had an effect though!
Mrs Deeps is still a work in progress, since she's been coming to the football with me (must be about 10 years now) she's learned to love toastie jackets (and gloves, scarves, hats etc), but there are plenty of occasions where she won't wear them because she's too 'street' or cool or whatever. That's very much on her, like you I tend not to pander to her vanities. :lol: I'm a hard man, grrrr. In fairness, she is slowly coming round, dogs demanding walked has also helped.

poppypiesdad
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:48 pm
Location: Area 11

Re: Winter Preps

Post by poppypiesdad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:28 pm

. The problem with defenders is the door seals freezing and locking you out.[/quote]


Quick tip , wipe the seals with baby oil helps them stop freezing shut , and washes out of clothes if any gets on them

j
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.

Post Reply