What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by jansman »

Arnieh, put in plenty of shelves, and make 'em wide enough!To maximise space work out and measure how tall a can of beans is between shelves, so there 's no wasted wall-space.
Regarding rotation, I just make sure everything gets taken from the left, and shunted along for new stuff to go in on the right. I like simplicity.
Any non-tins like pasta, rice, etc go into sealed buckets or bins to make 'em vermin proof. On that point, keep a tray or two of rat poison down along the walls,and check regularly-if it is disappearing, you gotta problem! By doing this I have never, ever had an infestation.
Finally, be discrete, and don't draw attention from neighbours. I have a curtain inside the door, so my neighbour cannot overlook the door from her raised patio. Hope that helps.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
modernwisewoman

Post by modernwisewoman »

pseudonym wrote:
arnieh wrote:I to have had a tidy up on the prepping front it has all gone off the boil of late what with one thing and another, I have more or less decided to use or store shed for our preps (after some adaption and modification), we are fortunate that power is already installed also a water supply, the big mods will be security and insulation. Does anyone else use a shed for this purpose?

I did, but lack of insulation and temperature fluctuations caused a moisture build up on my tins, so back into the house.
I was planning to store tins in the garage. It has only one wall of bricks. Do many people suffer from the moisture build up on their tins and if so what do they do about it?
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

modernwisewoman wrote:
pseudonym wrote:
arnieh wrote:I to have had a tidy up on the prepping front it has all gone off the boil of late what with one thing and another, I have more or less decided to use or store shed for our preps (after some adaption and modification), we are fortunate that power is already installed also a water supply, the big mods will be security and insulation. Does anyone else use a shed for this purpose?

I did, but lack of insulation and temperature fluctuations caused a moisture build up on my tins, so back into the house.
I was planning to store tins in the garage. It has only one wall of bricks. Do many people suffer from the moisture build up on their tins and if so what do they do about it?
Find new ways of labeling them or store them by type and "lubricate" them with vaseline.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
arnieh

Post by arnieh »

Hi Jansman, thanks for the reply your system does sound simple enough I will give it some thought, what I don't need to do right now is spend a small fortune on this project only to find it has failed for what ever reason, I will obtain a couple of moisture traps the type you fill will silica you can get them from caravan dealers and camping shops, they draw the moisture from the air and you empty the tray at the bottom from time to time. This system may be the answer to your problem modernwisewoman.

Regards arnieh
Last edited by arnieh on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Don't forget to keep the airbricks clear or put some in if there aren't any. A good airflow will go a long way to keeping anywhere or anything dry.
junmist

Post by junmist »

sorting out the GHB for winter
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

Yesterday I bought a new knife. An Opinel no. 7. On holiday and found a small but well-stocked outdoor and surplus shop.

It's a cheap (£9.50) little French folding lock knife, but well-made. Yet to give it a proper bashing, but it's my first carbon steel blade so I'll see what I think!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Patitur

Post by Patitur »

For me I'm working out where to start and trying to get over the feeling that I have to do everything now but don't have the time or the cash to do it... Threat assessment here I come......
jansman

Post by jansman »

arnieh wrote:Hi Jansman, thanks for the reply your system does sound simple enough I will give it some thought, what I don't need to do right now is spend a small fortune on this project only to find it has failed for what ever reason, I will obtain a couple of moisture traps the type you fill will silica you can get them from caravan dealers and camping shops, they draw the moisture from the air and you empty the tray at the bottom from time to time. This system may be the answer to your problem modernwisewoman.

Regards arnieh
Those moisture traps sound a very good idea. I am sure I have seen them in Poundland by the way.

If you are serious about storage, there will be no failure. The shelving in my building is stripped down pallet planks, painted with left over white emulsion. The London brackets from Wilkos.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
arnieh

Post by arnieh »

jansman wrote:
arnieh wrote:Hi Jansman, thanks for the reply your system does sound simple enough I will give it some thought, what I don't need to do right now is spend a small fortune on this project only to find it has failed for what ever reason, I will obtain a couple of moisture traps the type you fill will silica you can get them from caravan dealers and camping shops, they draw the moisture from the air and you empty the tray at the bottom from time to time. This system may be the answer to your problem modernwisewoman.

Regards arnieh
Those moisture traps sound a very good idea. I am sure I have seen them in Poundland by the way.

If you are serious about storage, there will be no failure. The shelving in my building is stripped down pallet planks, painted with left over white emulsion. The London brackets from Wilkos.
Hi Jansman, once again thanks for your reply, your build method certainly is low cost and what I am looking for I think I know where I can lay my hands on some pallets, the moister traps worked well when we used them and I will have to investigate where our nearest Pound Land is as several people on the forum seem to get good deals there, we have a 99p shop near by.