What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
nickdutch

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by nickdutch »

Whilst I was waiting for the dentist to open yesterday I went for a walk around the local park to see if I could identify any wild plants. Its amazing how you lose your skills over time. i used to know so many of them when I was a kid. I used the time to try and get my head around what I would do, how I would do it if I was collecting plants, the locations I would go to, how I would apportion my time at various locations. Evidently the action of collecting enough wild plants to survive on or indeed to have one vegetable portion of a square meal could be rather a lot and it would be time consuming to do the gathering.

The plants under the foot bridge were mucky, some of the other plant areas I wouldn't trust because they seemed to be likely places for dog walkers and the like. Some of the hedgerows and ditches seemed ok, but some of them seemed to be used as fly tips by some antisocial types and therefore selecting the areas to forage in might be difficult.

Then its a question of what I should be going for. Nettles and dandelions are obvious solutions, but then what about plantain? Its a plant I would have to study more to workout how much my body could handle and whether it would be easy to prepare. The rest are more simple. Soak in water and vinegar for 30 minutes and then hand wash each individual leaf. I read that this can help to kill off parasites and parasite eggs in the leafs and make it less likely that you get worms from them if you were to eat them raw. The nettles and dandelions you could probably just rinse off and then steam cook them right down and eat them. But soaking and hand washing might be a good way of keeping down any bad bacterias and unicellular and multicellular negatives that you want to keep out of your body.

Still looking out for a good natural patch of chickweed which looks relatively easy to successfully identify.

I was thinking of buying the "free food and medicine worldwide" by Marcus Rothkranz the american health guru and the DVDs that go with it so that I can get my identifying skills up to scratch, but that would be even more money going out, so one step at a time.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
hobo

Post by hobo »

Well I don't know where the first 5 of these went, so I've ordered another 10 to dot around the house! :D
Mini 300 Lumen CREE Q5 Zoomable and Focus Adjustable LED Flashlight Torch With Waterproof Design £1.89 each.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... ge_o00_s00
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

Now you've done it Hobo, I love these so have ordered a couple more as well !!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Area 4
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

got some big fat candles from lidl £2.99 a set (6 small or 4 medium or 2 large)

and a pack of three lighters for £1 from the pound shop ....

ok 3 lighters isnt a big thing but these have a LED torch built in as well as been able to light fire :mrgreen:

its a blue LED but its better than no light

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Ragdolly

Post by Ragdolly »

Made my first ever batch of lip balms (chapsticks) from my own bees wax, coconut oil, vit E oil and peppermint essential oil. My kid has a constant cold these days an we go through a lot. Feeling a bit chuffed with me self:)

We have the Rotary book sale starting tomorrow ( I go every year). Picked up a Foxfire book, some hunting, fishing, aromatherapy books last year and the I go again on the final day to fill a bag with trashy novel for only $5. As long as I have light I'll have something to read :P
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Talking of Lip Bal, i'm gonna stock up on these ..............

Area 10 - East Yorkshire
Radio Amateur ex-G7NNT now M0NNT

'In Omnia Paratus'
hobo

Post by hobo »

Eeeeooow, Trawlerman!
I'm hooked on a Mocha flavoured one I got from Holland & Barrett. Yum!
Djorn

Post by Djorn »

Been looking at sorting out a powercut pack, we have the kit to survive the end of the world but just realised that a grab pack in the hall cupboard would be good. Hoping to find some good books on squirrel and Rabbit skinning, I would also like to know how to gut a bird and something larger like deer etc..

Endeavouring to sort the Prepper shed out this weekend, want to get some rice and dried beans stowed away for winter.

Still looking for a pre 1986 4x4....far and few between.

Peace favour you

Dj
A Prepper is for life, not just for Doomsday !!
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Djorn,
If you are looking for a book about catching, gutting and preparing creatures of all sizes then I'd plumb for the SAS Survival Handbook by John (Lofty) Wiseman.
Even if you are pretty sure about prepping this book will give additional gems for prepping and situations where you may need to step up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAS-Survival-Ha ... 0007274939

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Oh, I forgot this idea from Mrs Wulfshead.
She got me to buy one of those double beds which lift up so you can store loads of stuff in the void.
I kept my immediate hands on kit in my bedroom cupboard but that is now being refitted to hold more of our 1 months food and first emergency lighting device.
The missus also bought loads of those bags you put clothing in and then suck the air out of.
I really miss opening my bedroom cupboard and seeing my kit there, there's always a good feel good factor in seeing your kit.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack