What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
junmist

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by junmist »

OMG I think I'm in love with the nail puller must put it on my Christmas list ;)
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
moocher

Post by moocher »

Mad Scientist wrote:Last weekend I got two hens that are laying well. We've also started picking blackberries and keeping a beady eye on crabapples, rosehips, hawthorns and damsons. Stocked up on toothpaste, toilet roll, casserole sauce, pie filling and coffee. btw, do rabbits make good "lawn mowers" I am trying to persuade my husband (non-prepper) that they would be great to keep but I am more interested in breeding them for the dinner pot. Any suggestions? Happy prepping!
Californian or nz whites if you can,most the giant breeds French lop size upwards take ages to mature/flesh out and have big dense bones.theyalso eat and poop a lot!
My missus has a Flemish giant and a French lop .and the kids let them out ,so we now have 3 babies that are at 11 weeks old (normal) rabbit sized but not meaty and they have been eating loads!
Dwarf lops might be good ,wild rabbits are not that big after all.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Briggs wrote:I've been working on cutting weight and increasing space in my rucksacks. I found some of those dark brown screw top plastic medicine bottles on eBay. They are about 60mm tall and 30mm wide and I bought ten for a fiver. I've been filling them with vaseline, soap, handwash, camomile lotion and toothpaste. In these small sizes, they are handy for my 24Hr/Get-me-home-bag and being all the same size, they don't take up too much space or weigh a lot. For toothpaste, I just stuff the brush in the bottle and it comes out applied with paste. Nice and simple and smaller than the smallest tube of toothpaste, especially if you cut the toothbrush's handle in half.

I also bought some empty medicine tubs which are cylindrical, flip top and about 30mm x 60mm. I've filled these with erm....medicine and also done a few with petroleum jelly. It's just handy having all things the same size in your pack and four of these end to end are just a bit bigger than a tube of smarties.

I sorted out a day-bag/get-me-home pack for my wife to keep in her car. In there is the usual med-kit, water, energy drink sachets, etc, etc but it's missing a sharp cutting tool so I need to find a lightweight cutter with a window-breaking point to add to her bag. I found one for a fiver on the EDCgear website.
Don't laugh but I use urine sample tubes for this sort of thing (unused ones I hastern to add), they're small,light, designed to be both tough and leakproof. Also the inturnal shape means they're easy to clean and the last little bit of whatever drains down into the centre.

Forgot to mention, finally got a bit-kit to go with the 1/4 inch square drive-to-hex adapter I've had for a while (to run with my SOG multitool socket driver)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Briggs

What Preps are you doing this week

Post by Briggs »

I like the idea of those tubes. Handy for matches too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

I saw one idea that used drinking straws as sachets. fill them with stuff (toothpaste, hand soap etc) then crimp the ends closed with hot pliars and then hole punch a hole and then you can have your soap, toothpaste, sugar for tea, etc on a keyring.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

A bit more than I planned after watching "blackout"! Bought a little more food for my stores than I might ordinarily have , some more painkillers and germoline for the first aid kit and flour. My overstock item is salt, If I am eating homegrown food in the future and hunting, it'll taste better with salt, it's also handy for barter.
Water and heat are my biggest problems, it's a rented house and we can't dig up the garden or cut into the rhone pipes to collect rainwater. However I have bought 3 barrels (originally used for distillery syrup used to make animal feed) and will fill them with tap water as soon as they arrive, might make for an interesting flavour even after cleaning them!
I also bought an axe from lidl although I don't have a fire, i'm collecting firewood whenever it appears in the hope that we find our own home soon and when I do I'll have a stock of seasoned firewood. sounds stupid but it keeps me focused so what the hey!
tigs

Post by tigs »

my oldest went to a village market yesterday and bought 5 unissued (or almost never used) s10 respirators (with filter fitted) plus cleaning wipes, drinking tube and 2 unissued NBC filters each for only £75 should have been £20 each but he got a discount for buying all the ones the guy had . only problem is I cant see a use for them but don't have the heart to tell him other than shooting and crossbows he has never really taken an interest in prepping but now has borrowed my sas survival manual and a couple of other books to catch up with his brothers and sisters :D might have to say something if he walks in with 5 mk6 or mk7 combat helmets !
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

20 litres of indoor lamp oil for my two finger lamps, and 2 metres of spare wick.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

got myself some more batteries for my torches for the winter
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
the7ps

Post by the7ps »

Briggs wrote:I've been working on cutting weight and increasing space in my rucksacks. I found some of those dark brown screw top plastic medicine bottles on eBay. They are about 60mm tall and 30mm wide and I bought ten for a fiver. I've been filling them with vaseline, soap, handwash, camomile lotion and toothpaste. In these small sizes, they are handy for my 24Hr/Get-me-home-bag and being all the same size, they don't take up too much space or weigh a lot. For toothpaste, I just stuff the brush in the bottle and it comes out applied with paste. Nice and simple and smaller than the smallest tube of toothpaste, especially if you cut the toothbrush's handle in half.

I also bought some empty medicine tubs which are cylindrical, flip top and about 30mm x 60mm. I've filled these with erm....medicine and also done a few with petroleum jelly. It's just handy having all things the same size in your pack and four of these end to end are just a bit bigger than a tube of smarties.

I sorted out a day-bag/get-me-home pack for my wife to keep in her car. In there is the usual med-kit, water, energy drink sachets, etc, etc but it's missing a sharp cutting tool so I need to find a lightweight cutter with a window-breaking point to add to her bag. I found one for a fiver on the EDCgear website.
Collapsible dog bowls are handy for washing in too & weigh next to nothing.(as well as taking up minimal space)