What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
teatowls

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by teatowls »

Probably not considered a 'major' prep but I'm learning to sew properly with different fabrics and will soon be stocking up on yards of faux fur! I'm going to a convention next year so i'm making my own costume for it and to do so will include fur glove making and will be attempting to craft wooden weapons for it too! Doubles up pretty nicely I'd say as we'll have a decent stock to craft our own clothing or at least some pieces of clothing for ourselves and some wood crafting skills being developed too for later use.

Also going to pick up the occasional item from shops online as I get the Christmas buying underway and shall tuck everything safely away for later use.
Hillybilly444

Post by Hillybilly444 »

This morning I sorted through all the tinned food supplies, organised it all a bit better and wrote on the tin with indelible pen what the contents are! OH was most impressed. (I "think" that was an impressed look on his face...) :lol:
hobo

Post by hobo »

Good work Hillbilly! I'm planning to do the same this week :)
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

This coming week, I will be mostly teaching myself how to bake!
Someone somewhere should do something!
jansman

Post by jansman »

This morning I 'tidied ' my woodpile(s) I have a helluva lot of firewood. Anyhow, I told the family to burn wood, not coal, now I have ascertained what needs to be moved. The wood costs us nothing. :D
Tomorrow I am putting in the frame for a 4 metre polytunnel in the back garden. The raised beds are in now. Given that I still have the holding till next Autumn it is gonna be alot of work , but I should produce some stuff! :D and hopefully make a bob or two! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Picked up a Saltpipe from Holland & Barrett's today. I'll give it a go in conjunction with my regular asthma medication which I've had to increase due to the cold weather. Fingers crossed the Saltpipe will mean I can go back down to the lower dose again eventually. But even if it doesn't, at least I've tried it.

Oh and clearly my bike thinks I don't give her enough attention because I got another ruddy puncture today - either I didn't get out what caused the first one, or I did pinch the inner tube when putting the wheel back together or it could just be a coincidence. Sigh. :roll: Oh well, at least it's all practice - I'll set to fixing it tomorrow because I was too cross about it this evening! :evil:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Le Mouse wrote:Picked up a Saltpipe from Holland & Barrett's today. I'll give it a go in conjunction with my regular asthma medication which I've had to increase due to the cold weather. Fingers crossed the Saltpipe will mean I can go back down to the lower dose again eventually. But even if it doesn't, at least I've tried it.

Oh and clearly my bike thinks I don't give her enough attention because I got another ruddy puncture today - either I didn't get out what caused the first one, or I did pinch the inner tube when putting the wheel back together or it could just be a coincidence. Sigh. :roll: Oh well, at least it's all practice - I'll set to fixing it tomorrow because I was too cross about it this evening! :evil:

wipe a wad of cotton wool round the tyre and rim *(fibers will snag on anything sharp)*

me and a mate got a puncture change down to 3 mins road side on our mountain bike (yes we was sad enough to time it)

put the bike in the smallest front ring and the smallest rear gear then you can refference the chain back on easily (and have little resistance from the rear mech)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
munchh

Post by munchh »

Spent some time with my Mum and now have 2 knitting projects on the go, a chunky scarf in turquoise for Mrs.Munchh and a dark green hat for me.

and more of a "what prepps came in handy" type post, our gas meter packed up right in the middle of cooking sunday dinner today, so we finished all the veg on my camping stoves, lucky the oven is electric, but the wood burner thats coming will have that covered in the future. :D
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Mel357

Post by Mel357 »

Ive been so excited this week, I manage to pick up an old fashioned clothes mangle and a dolly peg at a second hand shop.
mangle needs a bit of a paint job, but its all cosmetic, works perfectly, (I know, I gave it a try in the garden,) washing brilliantly wrung out, me absolutely drenched from head to foot..... never mind, theres plenty of time to work out all the kinks, all I need now is a washboard and some household block soap and im sorted. :mrgreen:
Area 1
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

Mel357 wrote:Ive been so excited this week, I manage to pick up an old fashioned clothes mangle and a dolly peg at a second hand shop.
mangle needs a bit of a paint job, but its all cosmetic, works perfectly, (I know, I gave it a try in the garden,) washing brilliantly wrung out, me absolutely drenched from head to foot..... never mind, theres plenty of time to work out all the kinks, all I need now is a washboard and some household block soap and im sorted. :mrgreen:

Watch out for the fabrics you wash this way. The old way seemed to include really strong fabrics like cottons and linens that were often boiled up first. Modern fabrics would never stand for that. It might be quite a long learning curve but good luck with it. Oh...and watch out for buttons too!