What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by itsybitsy »

Filled the freezer with SUPER bargain meat. Got some great British free range chicken breasts for 87p per pack in Tesco, down from around £7.00, plus a load of steak mince for pennies, and packs of Sainsbury's 'Taste The Difference' steak burgers for £1.00 each.
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

I'm setting up the three month spreadsheet thingy from the foodstoragemadeeasy website that Lil recommended the other day. it's very complicated, but probably the most sensible way to manage if you're implementing an OAR approach.

I've been working on it for three flippin' days and will let you know when (if ever) I finish... :?
moocher

Post by moocher »

Got 5 kingsize quilts for £50 off facebook local classifieds

and 2 small led torches for £3 each at millets they were on the till counter ;)
The Pasta Banker

Post by The Pasta Banker »

Loving this prepper mindset and the shopping experience. one day your waiting on a stupidly expensive lump of metal getting delivered, the next day your shopping for 59p jars of pasta sauce.
Also I got a BEM 4GP unfortunatley its a bit small, but useable. and was dumpster diving for wood for attic water butt installation. and ate 50% of my chocolate stockpile - not good.
TwoDo

Post by TwoDo »

moocher wrote:Got 5 kingsize quilts for £50 off facebook local classifieds
Quilts are a good idea. I recently spent a bit of money on extra duvets, blankets and such. Also am in the process of getting thick curtains for the rooms which do not have them. Thick curtains will do a lot more to keep heat in and drafts out than double glazing and if there is no heat we will be ok under a double layer of bedding.
moocher

Post by moocher »

TwoDo wrote:
moocher wrote:Got 5 kingsize quilts for £50 off facebook local classifieds
Quilts are a good idea. I recently spent a bit of money on extra duvets, blankets and such. Also am in the process of getting thick curtains for the rooms which do not have them. Thick curtains will do a lot more to keep heat in and drafts out than double glazing and if there is no heat we will be ok under a double layer of bedding.
that was my thinking,recently got another kingsize quilt at carboot for £6.
i also put a wanted on freecycle for blankets,quits and sleeping bags but had no joy there

edited
just been to lidls and they have 11kg bags of basmati rice for £11.

i know its not the cheapest per kg but for bulk bags its very handy to store.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That *is* good for storage!

Quilts ... I had a bit of a surprise after I finished fiddling about with the airing cupboard ceiling ... counted up the duvets I've got, as a single person. Counting two single quilts for the spare bed in the office, I have 8 :oops: none were hugely expensive, but they were certainly all full price. What was I thinking! Plus a rug, a fleece and two sleeping bags. Come the Ice Age, I'll be fine.

Its certainly encouraged me to do an inventory of prepping stuff, and in addition to that, when I was putting everything back into the airing cupboard, I listed what was on each shelf. Turns out the good sleeping bag, that I'd actually take with me if I had to bug out, even on foot, is right at the front :)
metatron

Post by metatron »

Joined a new gym, getting into a good shape is something I'm sure will help, plus they have boxing and other combat classes.
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

I got pre-paid gas and electricity meters fitted last week - gosh what a good thing to have done. I was paying £140 a month for both gas and electricity - but now with the pre-paid meters I can already see my bill will be half of that.

Just taking this last week Monday to Sunday, into consideration, the amount I used for electricity was only £9.80 and for gas £6.40 - so if that is how much I use every week - for a month it will be no where near the £140 they said I was using!

Taking care of my finances is the major prep for me at the moment.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

maxilaura wrote:I got pre-paid gas and electricity meters fitted last week - gosh what a good thing to have done. I was paying £140 a month for both gas and electricity - but now with the pre-paid meters I can already see my bill will be half of that.

Just taking this last week Monday to Sunday, into consideration, the amount I used for electricity was only £9.80 and for gas £6.40 - so if that is how much I use every week - for a month it will be no where near the £140 they said I was using!

Taking care of my finances is the major prep for me at the moment.
I quite agree that taking care of finances and being in control of them is a huge prep for the future.
Without dampening your fire, Martin Lewis has written an informative piece about meters. Please have a read.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilit ... lectricity