The Middle East Situation- practicalities for a UK prepper

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: The Middle East Situation- practicalities for a UK prepp

Post by itsybitsy »

diamond lil wrote: I've got paraffin lamps hiding in a shed somewhere. I'm scared of pressure lamps :mrgreen:
What's a pressure lamp?
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

itsybitsy wrote:
diamond lil wrote: I've got paraffin lamps hiding in a shed somewhere. I'm scared of pressure lamps :mrgreen:
What's a pressure lamp?
Tilley lanterns are generally "Pressure lamps" rather than the wick and fuel lamps.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

the-gnole wrote:
itsybitsy wrote:
What's a pressure lamp?
Tilley lanterns are generally "Pressure lamps" rather than the wick and fuel lamps.
So what does that mean in terms of how it works or if it's dangerous?
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

You have to prime them or pump them and they can go BANG :shock:
I think. I'm too scared to touch one so I dont really know :lol: Ask a bigger braver male prepper !
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Pressure lampImage

Paraffin lampImage

Pressure lamps work on a liquid being pre-heated and vapourised where a wick just burns the liquid on the wick, is it any more dangerous, Depends how they are treated I guess, both will burn your house down if knocked over :shock:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

OK - so what's the safest option in terms of the range of lanterns that are available?
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

LED re-chargable
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

OK thanks. I'll get a few of those. I'm still going to have to have a tilley as well though - they're just so pretty! :P
southernPrepper

Post by southernPrepper »

There is wise preparation and then there is over-reaction.

Most of our gas comes via Norway and the very last thing to be shut off in the domestic supply. If it gets that bad there will be a lot of other worries.

Storing water - besides normal stocks there's a stream at the bottom of the hill and I have a wheel barrow. 8-)

Storing fuel - I have sufficient for my needs. The world won't grind to a halt at £1.50 a litre UK price but individuals here will start having to decide whether they can still afford to go to work. Up around £2/litre I'd expect to see civil unrest, blockades and national strikes along with a massive spike in fuel thefts. I'd love to have 50 gallons stored but if things really got that bad my engine will burn all sorts of strange fuels.

Storing food - you cannot store enough food to survive the end of the world. You can store enough food to get you through a difficult period. Farmers will still farm, chickens will still lay, cows will still milk. Food might be a problem for city dwellers but not round here. I'd also expect to see a lot more thefts of food from allotments and gardens.

Our Government has the capacity to cut tax on fuel at a stroke and if given no choice that is exactly what they will do.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'll just chickenly stick with candles :mrgreen: