Poverty in the UK

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Poverty in the UK

Post by itsybitsy »

I am listening, with mounting horror, to people who have called in to Radio 2 to tell their stories of how they have gone without food to feed their children. These people are not the stereotypical chav/layabout but intelligent, educated people who simply are unable to survive financially - the majority of them are WORKING! It's quite heartbreaking to listen to some of their stories; one woman said she's got a packet of beefburgers in the fridge and a tub of margarine - and that's it, and she has no money to buy any more food. Some of the callers said that their children get distressed that their parents are going without food - sometimes for days at a time - so that they can eat.

Shocking. :shock: And now I'm even more determined than ever to build up my stores even more; the thought of being in that situation terrifies me.

If I knew somebody in that situation I would help them out in a minute... :cry:
pietka

Re: Poverty in the UK

Post by pietka »

I cought a bit of that! its very sad! to pay your morgage and go without food! its something we will see more of in the coming months! my tennantsy is up in march and i'm going home to the rents! more money to prep with and more scope to help friends and family!
WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf »

I’m denigrating the people in the story, but, do they still have satellite TV, Internet connection, mobile phones and the like.

Not to mention Fags n booze.

Yes it is sad, but is it the "Whole Truth"

WW 8-)
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

WhiteWolf wrote:I’m denigrating the people in the story, but, do they still have satellite TV, Internet connection, mobile phones and the like.

WW 8-)
It's not necessarily the 'whole truth' for some people, in my experience.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

WhiteWolf wrote:I’m denigrating the people in the story, but, do they still have satellite TV, Internet connection, mobile phones and the like.

WW 8-)
They were showing the same story on BBC news and speaking to a parent who has only £200 a week to live on. However, her rent would be paid, her council tax paid and by looking at them they had spent some hours down at the pie shop. The clothes were not second hand but looked brand new glitzy fashion. So no, I don't believe they were living in abject poverty. With the current benefits system there is no reason for any child to be going without food.
The people we need to worry about and probably won't hear about are those who are working and earning just above the benefits threshold. They will pay everything (rent, council tax etc) and will not receive any financial help. They are the ones who will be struggling! :evil: IMO :)
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Some of the people who called in to Radio 2 WERE working - that was my point!
WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf »

Sorry I don't think I made myself clear.

What I'm saying is........

They say they can't feed their kids, but most probably still have mobiles, sky and internet. Which in most cases even with just one phone is in excess of £100 per month.

WW 8-)
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

WhiteWolf wrote:Sorry I don't think I made myself clear.

They say they can't feed their kids, but most probably still have mobiles, sky and internet. Which in most cases even with just one phone is in excess of £100 per month.

WW 8-)
WW, you made yourself perfectly clear. :|
Last edited by itsybitsy on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

WhiteWolf wrote:Sorry I don't think I made myself clear.

WW 8-)
I think the problem is what I might see as a luxury is another persons essential!
If push comes to shove I would forego the sky TV (although we have reduced what we have therefore reducing payments), no one has the latest contract phone, only pay as you go.
Some people will not let go of these items as 'they can't live without them!'
Internet is more difficult when looking for work but could always go where theres wi-fi.
Also, clothes etc shopping. How many families still go to the shopping centres on a Saturday to buy new things when they have perfectly adequate stuff at home! (My OH say I'm really cheap to keep, not high maintanence at all :D )
I remember Martin Lewis (martins money tips)saying many moons ago that to save money, when food shopping, go down a food level ie from named brands like Hienz to the shop brand, then if needs be go to the next level ie basics/value etc. some people will not do this and carry on shopping with their normal brands.
Of course, many working people are carrying too much credit card debt and pay that each month and then claim they have no money. DON'T GET INTO CREDIT CARD DEBT! (here speaks the voice of experience!)
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I have a mobile on a contract - I pay £20.00 a month and that includes 700 texts and 400 minutes to any network and landline, except 08 numbers. I don't consider that to be a luxury. I have a home telephone line for my internet but I don't have a home phone. So my mobile is a necessity, and pay as you go calls/texts would cost me more than the £20.00 a month I pay on the contract. I also get a free phone with a contract so I don't have to fork out for a mobile either.