Poverty in the UK

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: Poverty in the UK

Post by diamond lil »

:twisted: :twisted: I would never be so unladylike. Neither would the Gnole !
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

diamond lil wrote::twisted: :twisted: I would never be so unladylike. Neither would the Gnole !
:lol:
Panther

Post by Panther »

Thank you Red Doe and diamond lil for your heartfelt and moving comments.
Keep having those rants, keep telling it as it is; it's the only way to get your message across.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Phew Panther, I was just wondering if I had bored folk rigid , thanks for that !!
But this is what a good forum is all about - we all have different areas of knowledge. What somebody living in an English city knows, I cannot possibly know ...and vice versa. People like Red Doe might not fit yer average prepper or survivalist image, but she is living the life. She has to prep & store and fight with weather and lonlieness. If things went to custard, we will all be in that same boat.
We all have differing skills and knowledge and life experience and we can all bring it to the forum . Then we all know more than we did before.
LOL if we can remember it for more than 5 minutes. Not like moi :mrgreen:
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

:D Well, if TSHTF, you can make your way up here, it`ll be a safe place to hide from rampaging hordes and if anyone`s handy with a spade, there`s a good couple of fields to dig up to grow stuff. :D
Loneliness is something I never hear addressed with regards to prepping, except in a survival situation such as a remote plane crash or similar with you being the sole survivor. But for folks in rural areas (and, I guess, even many in cities?) poverty itself can bring a particular kind of loneliness...of shame, deserved or not, the reality of friends feeling uncomfortable at your situation and keeping clear....many other reasons too. When things got bad for me I found myself backing off from everyone, both from shame and from the effort of my world `shrinking` to the point of bare survival.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Red Doe wrote:Sorry for the rant, but many folks make assumptions that folks like me or others in my situation are just idle bug*ers who don`t want to work! I already work, but the recession has hit hard and not gone away.
Sorry, will stop ranting now, it isn`t really directed at the poster, just at all those who use blanket statements as sticking plasters for a complex situation.
No need to apologise at all RD, a perfectly understandable response. As Lil said earlier your experiences of living where you do and how you get by will be invaluable for a lot of us on here who like the idea of living in a remote place but don't necessarily understand the reality of it.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Red Doe wrote::D Well, if TSHTF, you can make your way up here, it`ll be a safe place to hide from rampaging hordes and if anyone`s handy with a spade, there`s a good couple of fields to dig up to grow stuff. :D
Well I don't need telling twice. When everything goes to s**te it's a coach trip to Bonnie Scotland for me. I'll do pick ups on the way but if you're further south than me you'll need to make your way to a central rendezvous point on the M62 somewhere in the vicinity of Ferrybridge Service Station! :mrgreen:
Panther

Post by Panther »

RD, obviously not knowing the full circumstances of your hardships it would be rather crass of me to make too many uninformed comments or judgements. It seems to me though that the only people who should have felt shame are family and friends if they didn't rally round to support you through your difficult times.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

O my god hen ye've done it now !! Invaded by a coach-load of sassenachs led by itsy -
BRING SWEETIES!! :twisted: :twisted: LOTS!
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

I'm half scottish....i'll be able to sneak us all over the border :D