What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
LaughingRoom

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by LaughingRoom »

I popped into Lidl on the off chance they have some cheap bottled water, no cheaper than Asda but 16 litres for £1.36 works for me. I'm absolutely broke at the moment so couldn't get as much as I need straight away so going to try building it up gradually.

We were also gifted a load of dried mushrooms, raisins, dessicated coconut and cashew nuts (And a load of dried spices, anyone want some Star Anise?) so that has pre-empted my sorting out food storage plans.

Finally, going to sort out my BOB and INCH bag so that I have enough 'coverage' (I guess woud be the right phrase) between the two. A lot of my serious first aid is in the INCH, as it the majority of the food. So I'll make the BOB a bit lighter and switch things up. And I'll need to sort a BOB for my kids in case we get separated.

Where am I going to find the time, any offers?
bunkai

Post by bunkai »

I'm going to install 3x200 litre water butts, re-cycled HDPE olive barrels, £10 each!
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

bunkai wrote:I'm going to install 3x200 litre water butts, re-cycled HDPE olive barrels, £10 each!

That's a good price. Where did you see them? Pick-up only?
bunkai

Post by bunkai »

featherstick wrote:
bunkai wrote:I'm going to install 3x200 litre water butts, re-cycled HDPE olive barrels, £10 each!

That's a good price. Where did you see them? Pick-up only?
Friend of mine had a few spare, mates rates :-D
Squared

Post by Squared »

I am skint at the mo but have been endeavouring in the face of adversity.

Going Karate again tonight.

Have aquired a compost bin off of freecycle and am filling it up slowly with food waste which is aiming towards my becoming more self sufficient and less reliant on shops.

Have been out looking at weeds and learning to identify some wild edibles using my Richard Mabey. (Not actualy picked and eaten anything yet).

Have been continuing with the program of sorting the finances out and removing waste from life in general, and thats not easy in the run up to Christmas!
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

LaughingRoom wrote:I popped into Lidl on the off chance they have some cheap bottled water, no cheaper than Asda but 16 litres for £1.36 works for me. I'm absolutely broke at the moment so couldn't get as much as I need straight away so going to try building it up gradually.

We were also gifted a load of dried mushrooms, raisins, dessicated coconut and cashew nuts (And a load of dried spices, anyone want some Star Anise?) so that has pre-empted my sorting out food storage plans.

Finally, going to sort out my BOB and INCH bag so that I have enough 'coverage' (I guess woud be the right phrase) between the two. A lot of my serious first aid is in the INCH, as it the majority of the food. So I'll make the BOB a bit lighter and switch things up. And I'll need to sort a BOB for my kids in case we get separated.

Where am I going to find the time, any offers?
I'm in the same boat. Need to start heading out especially for emergency type stuff. I've got some tinned food (as previously discussed) but that probably needs changing out. Need to start planning my lunches around using that stuff up. :D

Also, regarding water, I've got some bottled water but not all that much. Why do you need so much? We live in a really wet country, my logic is that a waterbutt/wheelie-bin parked under a roof drain will collect plenty of water and will allow for cleaning, washing etc, and drinking once filtered and possibly boiled if you feel the need. An endless supply!
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I must confess that I am with Dangerman on the water thing. We have 120 litres of water stashed in barrels then we have the ( imperial measures now) 300 gallon of rain water. And the brook over the road.

Mind you, I guess if you live in a flat or do not have a garden then you have to bring in your water supply. That is the trouble with this precious liquid. You cannot compact it nor dehydrate it! :lol:

I think that if I were in that position, I would make sure I had suitable, easy to carry containers to scavenge water with. Couple that with filter and disinfection methods, you are ahead of the game. Fortunately, filters like the Sawyer mini have never been cheaper.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

I've been looking at alternative cooking arrangements so have added two Vango compact gas stoves and a pack of 12 Coleman 250 Propane/Butane mix cylinders to my stock. I already have a standard camping stove which takes the 'plug-in' butane cylinders but was advised in another thread the the Propane/Butane mix will burn better at low temperatures.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Finally ordered myself a Steripen (only about 45 quid at ebay) so I can make sure that I will always have bacteriologically safe water. I can then use regular Brita filters to remove chlorine from tap water and then steripen to kill germs. (the tap water in my flat tastes bad, and the better I can make it the happier I am!)

So that plus the countertop distiller means I am pretty set for most water purification needs.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

nickdutch wrote:Finally ordered myself a Steripen (only about 45 quid at ebay) so I can make sure that I will always have bacteriologically safe water. I can then use regular Brita filters to remove chlorine from tap water and then steripen to kill germs. (the tap water in my flat tastes bad, and the better I can make it the happier I am!)

So that plus the countertop distiller means I am pretty set for most water purification needs.
Just a thought. You might want to ring the water board, I had a similar issue many years ago, the WB came out in a few hours and tested the water, they found dodgy water pipes, they were replaced and all was good after. Amazingly some old house still have lead pipes.