What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by ForgeCorvus »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:I'm storing lots of dried fresh chillies for bartering! It's the scourge of modern cuisine in my books, creeping in where it has no place to be, so ubiquitous it's often no longer mentioned as an ingredient! However, evidently it's very, very popular and as for everyone else but me it seems to make plain, prepping food palatable, it's clearly going to be up there with chocolate, coffee and alcohol as a desirable commodity. But unlike the others in my list, I myself am not partial to it and therefore won't consume it before time! :D
Thank the Gods..... I thought it was only me.

We watch cooking programs on the Box, and quite often they're making something and as they put each thing in we're going "I eat that, I like that, that sounds good" then its "Chilli with that ! WTF?!!"
Last time it was Lemon Sole :x

Woodsman: Wine is like beer in that it gets lonely, therefore its cruel to only drink one :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Nope!! I hate chillies too, can't see the point of them, they don't taste of anything, just burn your mouth!! If they had a flavour I might not be so anti them.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I was given some chilli jam recently , actually quite a lot of it to be honest. I don't mind chillies but I found the jam to be in edible used as regular jam. It does go nicely with just a mere scraping with cheese on toast , adds a bit of zing but the fat in the cheese reduces the burning effect. However , if I lived on cheese on toast for the rest of my life I wouldn't get through the amount of jam I've got and most of it has already got ton to its BB date.
On a more prepping related theme I've got spares for the push bikes , new brake shoes for the trailer , mulching done and compost heaps rebuilt , leaves collected to rot down for leaf mould , seeds collected and dried or drying , one of the greenhouses cleared and a general reorganising of the house and gardens to clear unwanted or unused stuff.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

My genuine made-in-china at 1/10th of the price - Gerber Shard came in the post today.
£1.64 inc. postage :lol: It's the real thing too. Honest!

Looks ok and is stamped with the Gerber name but the proof is in the pudding. It may still turn out to be made from cheese yet! :o
Area 10 - East Yorkshire
Radio Amateur ex-G7NNT now M0NNT

'In Omnia Paratus'
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Trawlerman wrote:My genuine made-in-china at 1/10th of the price - Gerber Shard came in the post today.
£1.64 inc. postage :lol: It's the real thing too. Honest!

Looks ok and is stamped with the Gerber name but the proof is in the pudding. It may still turn out to be made from cheese yet! :o

Will keep an eye out in the hull daily mail for "Man admitted to hospital to have broken multi tool surgically removed " ;)

let us know how it goes
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Currently increasing my dietary intake of organic foods in order to give me more nutrition to not only fight of my current cold (this autumn has been ghastly for colds for me) but also to help build up some resistance for winter proper when it comes. As well as a percentage of some normal foods my dietary and wellness regime has influences from raw veganism and the Gerson therapy which means that I am not quite doing it to the point of curing myself of disease, but am doing it to the point of improving general wellness. I got myself a good blender (1800W model) from aliexpress.com (a must go to website for all manner of useful and useless stuff) to help with the food preperation to make sure that I can be ok.
My obsession with food preparation is seriously overtaking my life to be honest and I have more stuff in the kitchen than the kitchen was created to be able to take,but at least that means that whatever foods I can get my hands on i will always be bale to prepare it in a healthy way which was one of the main points in having lots of cooking equipment. If I have to scavenge or beg, i will get what I am given, and I will have to accept it. If I have all the gear for food preparation, then no matter what, I can prepare it.
I have had a time without any equipment apart from a microwave and that was hell.Now I am delightfully overflowing with the stuff.
Once I have a small pressure cooker I will have what I regard as the complete kit to make EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYthing! (every group needs a good cook! soon I hope to be one!)
Then the next step will be to do wild foraging and prove to myself that I can feed myself on what I pick in nature and to hopefully build up a procedure so that I can do it in perpetuity. I like building procedures to do stuff. Once I have a procedure in place that stops me from having to worry about how am i going to do something, i just get on and follow the procedure, like rehearsing for a fire drill.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
hobo

Post by hobo »

Thanks Nick, that was very interesting!

I'm taking the day - and maybe the rest of the week off work (promoting my band's new single!) - after me and my eldest lad went to see David Malone speak last night (author of Debt Generation and blogger at http://www.golemxiv.co.uk). I need to have a really good think and re-evaluation of how and why I'm prepping over the next few days.

We were left open-mouthed at the implications of what he was saying about NHS privatisation, the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, food, and more.

If he's right - and he backed up everything he said with concrete facts - in a sense, the shit is hitting the fan right now, in slow motion, under our noses!

BTW, I think he might be into talking to a group of North Yorkshire members. Any interest in me pursuing this?
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

hobo wrote: BTW, I think he might be into talking to a group of North Yorkshire members. Any interest in me pursuing this?

Hmmmmm.... depends on where. North Yorks is a big big county.
Area 10 - East Yorkshire
Radio Amateur ex-G7NNT now M0NNT

'In Omnia Paratus'
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Well today I got an e-mail from the nice Mr Amazon offering a good deal on wind-up LED lanterns. In light of the recent power-out warnings I thought better get one for each member of the household.
Mrs Wulfshead has just done a massive on-line order for usual foodstuffs and extra soups and winter foods to put into our emergency stores.

Speaking of wine, It's our 30th wedding anniversary in just under 3 years time. Being a heathen who follows the Northern Way, anniversaries connected to 3 and 9 are very important to us. To that end I best get around to ordering 20 Lb of honey and brew 5 gallons of mead for the forthcoming gathering toast :lol:

Hobo, I was introduced quite late to the realisation of the concept of usury and the ideas of a passive slavery to a value put upon 'social must haves' and the facade of money being worth anything in reality.
It is a subject worth studying at depth but it is a subject that may reveal things that, at deeper levels, may shock to the core.
I 'personally' believe Debt Generation/slavery is something the prepper needs to be aware of because it can steer our society in adverse directions but alas it has political content which, I believe, would be outside the permitted line of this forum.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
hobo

Post by hobo »

Aye, you've a point there WH! Anyone interested in the subject (it's up near the top of my prepping list now), feel free to PM me to have a natter.

I reckon it's way past time that we have a get together anyway. I propose a Saturday in January somewhere between Hull, York and Scarborough. Nothing too strenuous other than cups of tea and a mooch around.

Who's in?

I'll post this in the groups section.