What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
MissPrep

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by MissPrep »

Just received my first ever mylar bags, so spending the weekend bagging up rice etc..
Have been checking out the prices of the items in my 'just in case' cupboard (my 4 year olds name for it) & some of the stuff in there has almost doubled in price but still has 2 or 3 years before it's bb date.
Now wondering if anyone else finds they are actually better off financially for prepping, even if the S never HTF.

Apart from milk, fruit, veg & eggs I never really have to buy any shopping anymore if I don't like the price - I have a years worth of pretty much everything we use day to day stored, so I have months to hunt down a good offer on things I want.
Some of the fruit & veg is starting to come from the garden now too.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Car boot season again, so picked up a York JCB 863 CB radio, power supply, swr meter, extra mic and random cables/mounts for £4 the lot.

valderee

Post by valderee »

that's a bargain :)
Crows

Post by Crows »

Had my birthday early today and got (for survival/prepping):

A premade mini survival tin. Has given me some good ideas for an altoids tin and is good to have till then
The Prepper's Pocket Guide. Good tips. American but relevant.
The SAS Survival Guide Pocket Edition. Really wanted one of these.
Knife Sharpner
Free Food. A book about wild fruits/plants that are good and bad and how to cook them.

Tomorrow we are going on a shopping spree at a place called Oswald Bailey Eastleigh. They are rebranding so nearly everything is 50% off ;)

EDIT: Also got 16 paracetamol and 16 ibuprofen.
To prep or not to prep?

There is no question!
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Had a break though last week with the light of my life :roll:

We went away for a couple of days, bit of a rush job so the packing didn't get done quite as usual. We got to the hotel she unpacks " Oh no I've forgotten my tooth brush" I kept quiet till we were going out for dinner and "we'll pick one up while we are out". I scuttled round to the back of her car rummaged for 20 seconds and then got in. Yep I'd put her a disposable toothbrush and tooth paste in her 'car bag'. One up to me.

6am she starts complaining of a headache. " Have we any para's?" asks I quite innocently " No" she moans, up gets I and gets my house keys. Seconds later 2 paracetamol have magically appeared in my hand from the capsule on my key ring, " The shops'll be open soon we'll get some more after breakfast" says I. 2 - nil.

Come dinner time her headache had gone and we were with the grand kids on the beach. After a while we've had enough of the sub zero temperatures on the east coast and it's back to the car to drive back to the hotel. " Go and get some water so I can rinse their feet" yeah right, as we were sat in the boot of her car I reached past her opened her bag and pulled out one of her half litre bottles of water. And that's the hat trick.

This week, "Have you thrown the washing up liquid bottle out love?" asks I whilst filling up the conditioner bottle from a 5 ltr bottle, "yes" comes the reply. "Oh" says I "I was just gonna fill it up from this 5ltr bottle, but not to worry" as I pull another 1ltr bottle out from the scary cupboard (scary because it used to be an adventure even opening the door you never knew what you'd find).

No there was no nagging about wasting money, no shake of the head, no rolling of the eyes just a little smile from her.

Now I call that a major win, I'll keep my fingers crossed to have another couple of weeks like the last two.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Been trying to sort out the spare room where all the preps are kept. We are moving it all into the main bedroom (not sure if it will all fit!) so we can then use the spare room as a bedroom again.
We will be having a little friend of ours come to stay for respite (she is adopted, we fostered her 11yrs ago) and things are really tough at home.

It's a good chance to sort through all the preps, see what we have etc.

I will also need to make a small grab bag her her when she is with us.

Its a good chance to get rid of unnecessary crap that I've been hanging onto. :D (no, not the OH - he has his uses!!!! :lol: )
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Crows wrote:Had my birthday early today and got (for survival/prepping):

A premade mini survival tin. Has given me some good ideas for an altoids tin and is good to have till then
The Prepper's Pocket Guide. Good tips. American but relevant.
The SAS Survival Guide Pocket Edition. Really wanted one of these.
Knife Sharpner
Free Food. A book about wild fruits/plants that are good and bad and how to cook them.

Tomorrow we are going on a shopping spree at a place called Oswald Bailey Eastleigh. They are rebranding so nearly everything is 50% off ;)

EDIT: Also got 16 paracetamol and 16 ibuprofen.
I've become an Altoids Tin-aholic downsizing my EDC by cramming as much as I can in the tins. The best idea comes from Facetube's TheUrbanPrepper and he recommends that the solution to stopping the contents rattling about is to glue tiny magnets to the inside of the tin and the contents. It works a treat - somewhere on here I posted up a few pics of my EDC tin and my EDC contents. Since then I've made one up for Mrs B that contains spares contact lenses, Leatherman Squirt, chargers, a torch, medicines etc, etc, all the stuff she may just need during the day.

The mints are nice too :-)
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Got some more firelighters and matches, getting some more meths and paraffin for the tilleys plus replace the knackered mantles, looking at upgrading my dry food stores, got plenty of tins, probs be being made redundant in a couple of years, so its a case of have plenty of food in store ready for the up and coming loss of income (another reason why we should prep) but at least i have plenty of warning. :lol:
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly »

I brought a multi tool from Sports direct it was on sale I got it for £1.99 (on sale price £3 but there is a £3.99 delivery charge but I got a £5 voucher )
And a bike repair set from ebay.
Crows

Post by Crows »

Today I went to 3 shops (LIDL, Oswald Bailey and Savers) and I got

At LIDL:
1x Chunky Chicken Soup, 1x Chunky Beef Soup, 2x porridge Pots, 1x box of 4 mashed potatoes, 1x Box of Salt, 1kg of Penne Pasta, 1kg of Rice, 1kg Wholemeal Pasta, 1x Rice Pudding, 1x Cream of Chicken Soup, 2x Meatballs in sauce, 1x Ambrosia Custard, 2x 800g Chille con Carne, 2x Green Giant Corn, 1x Tined Corned Beef, 2x Kidney Beans, 3x Tinned Potatoes, 2x Tuna Steak in still water, 1x Tinned Hot Dogs, 2x Pot Noodle, 1x Tomato Purée, 2x 2L Water Bottle.

At Oswald Bailey:
1x Mini Pocket Mag Light, 1x Big 2D Mag Light, 2x 2pk of D size Batteries, 1x 4pk of AA Battaries, 1x 8pk of AAA Batteries, 3x 3pk of 9 hour Candles, Extra mini first aid pack.

At Savers:
2x Wet Wipes, 2x Hayfever Tablets, 2x Ibuprofen Pills, 2x Paracetamol Pills, 1x Immodium Tablets.
:D
To prep or not to prep?

There is no question!