What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
MissPrep

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by MissPrep »

Spending the week assembling things - now have raised beds round the edge of my lawn deep enough for dwarf fruit trees or fruit bushes & am half way through assembling my greenhouse :-)
Hopefully, will be able to get the propagators full of seedlings out of the house by the end of the week.

It's definitely year of ramping up grow your own food for me.
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Managed to pick up one of the folding saws from lidl, and took delivery of a small butane stove and 8 gas cans. We did the usual with the shopping and picked up a few bits and pieces extra, if the wife sees how much sugar is in the cupboard she'll take my bank card off me, I'll wake up one morning and blam it'll be missing from my wallet. Oh and I finally got her that plastic plate for her car bag, so I can always argue that I'm spending it on her :D
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

aldhelm wrote:Managed to pick up one of the folding saws from lidl, and took delivery of a small butane stove and 8 gas cans. We did the usual with the shopping and picked up a few bits and pieces extra, if the wife sees how much sugar is in the cupboard she'll take my bank card off me, I'll wake up one morning and blam it'll be missing from my wallet. Oh and I finally got her that plastic plate for her car bag, so I can always argue that I'm spending it on her :D
I managed to get one of those Lidl folding saws, I would have got a couple but there was only 1 left. We're off to Aldi's today for some victuals, I usually get a few more bits and bobs for the 'zombie stores' as well. Mrs Deeps is starting to get with the program, she doesn't even roll her eye's when I'm putting extra pasta etc in the trolley. :D

I've also got a couple of books on mushrooms and natural remedies this week and I'm waiting on a couple of 14500 batteries being delivered to trial on my cree torches, proper 'boy' prepping. :lol:
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I have been busy around the flat as we have a few family problems to deal with at the moment, poor Nan is now in a home and very unhappy but at least she is now getting the correct care for dementia. Mr Decaff at last has his date for his operation, almost a year from when his problems started.

I've been busy making chicken stock which is now in the freezer ready to be made into soups etc stored in pint bags, I have dehydrated so much fruit lately that my stores look bulging with goodness. Heaven help us but tomorrow I have 8 bulbs of white garlic to prepare for dehydrating and also making into "lazy garlic" I think we are going to have a stinky home for a while. :?
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Well, most importantly ( ;) ) we have located the ideal location for the bucket and pinhole cameras tomorrow morning! Houston, we are go!

On the more mundane front we have got all the spare summer clothing and sandals etc we might need (I think). Lidls has reduced the tins of artichokes to 2 for £2 which is the best price I've seen anywhere so we have a dozen :oops: of those

Sugar has undergone the 'summer is coming' revamp and stocks have been significantly extended, I still need to get more stash vinegar for the coming months.

The frv that will need all the sugar and vinegar is slowly being seeded and planted out. The polytunnel has been given the final touches and mesh walls for climbers and the top veg patch has undergone an overhaul and the bean poles are now waiting for plants. All the onions are now in.

Inside there are three incubators on the go and our latest hatch has now been relocated down the garden to grow on a bit and know about the outside before being introduced to general population

After trying to stuff more noodles and rice into the stash it would appear I may have a carbohydrate problem! Must learn to diversify......
Knowledge is power
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Decaff, sorry to hear that about your nan :( there's no words to describe how difficult that situation is.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Arzosah wrote:Decaff, sorry to hear that about your nan :( there's no words to describe how difficult that situation is.
Thanks Arzosah, its been so hard the last couple of years watching a wonderful, kind, loving, strong woman being slowly eaten away and turning into an unrecognisable woman. I'm just so glad that she doesn't know what is going on as she would be beside herself in torment. Its a very very cruel process to witness. :cry:

On a happier note, just found out my niece is pregnant with twins!! So exciting and I must get my knitting needles out pronto :P

Also, dehydrating garlic is very stinky... :? Poor mogsplosh has hidden himself away to escape the smell :lol: he normally sits on the window ledge watching me chopping up and preparing food and he was sitting watching up till the slicing part in the processor when he just legged it out the door! :shock: Mr D is whinging about the smell so a reminder that he bought it home should suffice. Pass the pegs round later I think! :roll:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

*Note to self*......Don't dehydrate Garlic indoors! :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Decaff, exactly how good and useful are these dehydrators??? Are they expensive etc??? Has been a lot of talk about them. Thanks.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

was given a crate of mushrooms FOC at work today. Some I've sliced and frozen, some quartered and frozen the dehydrator is full and I still have some fresh. Oh, got 10kg of sugar in the reduced section for £4 too.

Ordered enough food to last the Cat til Christmas too. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon