What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Deeps wrote:
poppypiesdad wrote:But they are small , Chuck them in the spare wheel well. Shhhhhhhhhh
J
Not much use if she doesn't know they're there though mate. I'm trying to put a wee rucksack together for her, softly softly catchee monkey and all that. ;)

But when you get "the" phone call "I'm stuck"....

"Open the boot lift the carpet!"

"Wtf have you put all this stuff in here for come and get me" :evil:
No, I think I'll use it as a "I told you so" it it all goes Pete Tong, I can be a petty so and so when I feel like it. :lol:
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

New dehydrator came (very quickly!) and I have given the plastic trays a good washing prior to the first dehydration attempt. Still need to get plenty of teflex sheets for the thing so that i can make the other foods that i want with it. Seriously, if you follow the raw vegan recipe ideas you can use a good dehydrator more or less as an oven and make all manner of stuff with it.

And gawd the thing isn't arf big! i am glad I only ordered the 8 tray model, the 10 tray one wouldn't have fitted on the work surface beneath the cupboards!

Its a bit noisier than I had hoped it would be, so maybe I can't use it over night as I had planned, but OMG, the drying area is fantastic so i can really see this thing getting a lot of use especially for the coconut based flatbreads, linseed cookies, fruit rollups and the like.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Been a tad busy the last couple of weeks what with upgrading the bathroom and then hurting my knee AGAIN!!!

I have managed to up my stores of cleaning products and candles.
Mr D surprised me with a huge sack of carrots, one of onions and also red and yellow peppers so been peeling, chopping, blanching, freezing and dehydrating all week. Still got tons of onions that will be dehydrated over the weekend.

Also got myself a filofax which is helping immensely with my day to day "stuff" just waiting for a few inserts to arrive so I can have my food/household products in an easy to view, on hand all the time way. Mr D upgraded the computer and not everything transferred across properly and don't even get me started on trying to do "stuff" on my mobile so thought I would go retro :lol: I used to use one years ago and it was great!

Set out meal plans for the next couple of weeks to cut down on food waste and starting to list projects I would like done.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
moocher

Post by moocher »

Wife practically dragged me into a charity shop as I didn't want to go in,glad i did.
One metal t light lantern and a lowepro slingshot camera bag.brand new still had plastic tie on the zip etc,I can't find what model it is but for £3.99 I'm not complaining :lol: all internal dividers are velcroed in ,so have Removed them,it will be nice little bag.
Waterbaby

Post by Waterbaby »

I've managed to get 2 paraffin hurricane lamps and 4 out of my 5 oil lamps from charity shops and bazaars -all working,and with a total cost of under a tenner!
At the weekend I got a couple of new blankets and a barometer,second hand.I have a thing about good quality blankets -in this day of duvets they're worth nabbing when you can,I reckon.And barometers were quite useful in the days before met office weather reports so I figured one couldn't hurt.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I like wool blankets once you get over the scratchy feel (or use a thin sheet they are great)

always take one camping even with a decent sleeping bag having a wool blanket doubled over on a sleeping mat adds warmth and comfort ..
someone on here said about draping it over a camp cot to stop the cool air blowing under it and keep your back warmer......
they are also fire resistant so great for kids near a camp fire.....

My preps so far over the past month consisit of a LED maglite solare key ring light (its bloody bright for its size)

got 3 of the glowing titrium glow key rings (one for my car keys one for my housekeys on seeing my green one on my car keys mrs andy decided she wanted an orange one....... Sadly i was left in no uncertain terms it would NOT make a good valentines day gift :cry:

need to find some plastic roses :mrgreen:
Last edited by Yorkshire Andy on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Waterbaby

Post by Waterbaby »

And brilliant for lining an improvised shelter...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Think it was Hobo who mentioned these the other week anyhow i was in BQ earlier and got one to try

we have a few dark spots where i cant get power so these seemed ideal... For £10 im impressed.....

and by means of a comparison from about 2m compared with a 2aa mini maglite (which i assume most will be familiar with light output wise :)

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:I like wool blankets once you get over the scratchy feel (or use a thin sheet they are great)

always take one camping even with a decent sleeping bag having a wool blanket doubled over on a sleeping mat adds warmth and comfort ..
someone on here said about draping it over a camp cot to stop the cool air blowing under it and keep your back warmer.....:mrgreen:
I find a Springer Spaniel helps to keep your back warm too.. :lol:

Just wish this sodding snow would melt so i can get a delivery of wood to keep up the supply of dry logs for the stoves.

As for preps, some more firelighters, paracetamol, vac packed risotto rice, four packs of beans, and next couple of days some spare batteries, car has taken the rest of my spare cash, again.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Managed to successfully make my first woolly hat with the round loom set and will be giving that to my sister for her birthday. Super chunky wool seems to work best with these round looms due to the width if the gaps between the pegs.

On the health side of things, have started to take a supplement called MSM which is good for all manner of bodily issues and am hoping that can help boost my immunity further and to keep the risk of infection down.

My supplement regime now comprises

Psyllium husk + probiotics (low dose of probiotics though, but good varieties)
10 Billion culture probiotic blend
multivitamin
b vitamins
magnesium
fish oils
MSM
FOS (a form of fibre that feeds beneficial bacteria in the guts and therefore helps general all round health)
Zinc

Am starting off the MSM with a low dose and making sure the body can handle it and will then bring it up to 3000 Mg a day over a few weeks. Am about to start bringing in ascorbic acid vitamin C too.

The dehydrated spring greens with a spread on fruit puree consisting apple, lemon, ginger, rosemary and mint worked out very nice and when fresh from the dehydrator was as crunchy as popadom. Might try a curry themed one next.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks