What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
Holomon

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by Holomon »

Taught my kids how to break and shake glowsticks in case of a power outage, plus where they're hidden. How long before I wake up in the morning to find the lot of them all over the house?

Also ran a smoke alarm drill as suggested in another thread to make sure they know what to do.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Added a Zebralight torch to my preps:

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/zebraligh ... -h52w.html
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
MissPrep

Post by MissPrep »

After a big sort out I figure I've now got about a 1 year supply of food & household misc apart from dairy products (do not like powdered milk) & I've decided that's enough of that.
I'm now moving on to dehydrating & buying some of those Mountain House cans of dried meats for longer term stuff.
I'm budgeting to pick up 1 no.10 can a month.
The shop bought cans & so on are in rotation as we eat them & replace what's been used when stuff goes on special offer.
With other food sources available it's more like 2 years worth (there's only 2 of us, so didn't have that much to get)

Ordered a food dehydraytor (square Andrew James one is on sale for £34.49 inc postage from their own site, includes those flexible sheets for food leathers)
and bookmarked http://www.dehydrate2store.com/ after watching some of her series of videos on youtube as they not only cover how to dehydrate stuff, but how to store it & then how to use it.
Also this page https://survivalacres.com/shop/content/ ... shelf-life for the whole page, but initially for the shelf life of dehydrated foods table (scroll down)

Now just have to watch all the videos & wait for the dehydrator to arrive.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Preps right now , Swedish fire torch , large drambuie on ice and the frost coming down , bliss.

It isn't all hard work
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
jansman

Post by jansman »

This week I have purchased another Sawyer water filter. Read good things about them so got one for my fishing bag. It works and it saves me carting water as I like to travel light. So the new one will be a spare if you like.
Today my Son in Law is helping me move the greenhouse to make space for our Summerhouse and 'Secret Garden' . I shall be having a play with solar power too, when it is all in place.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Due to disputes at NI water we've been notified that there is a strong possibility
that we may loose our water supply. Parts of northern ireland have been without water
for sometime now, I've filled up water containers for drinking and cooking just in case.
Also ordered a new tarp, torches, water purification tabs as my others where out of date.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Like nick, I have got some wicks and the little metal bits this week. I keep all the odds and ends of candles and I have an old saucepan that I have melted wax in before, so I will have a go at making some candles from my left overs this week.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Ordered a 31 pin round loom and three balls of wool to practice on and then maybe I can get my head around it and I can add crafting to the things that i do for a living now and in the future and that would be quite good fun. Been out staring so many videos and blogs on the subject its been great.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Bought 2 fire extinguishers from Lidl, had massive row with wife in car park, thought to myself thank God she didn't see the extra paracetamol I picked up at the same time.
Ordered another 2 torches from amazon then ordered a pack of 10 keyring 1 led torches. Decided I've got almost enough torches now just need a powerful one got plenty of the smaller ones (pocket size). Also ordered a knife off Amazon that comes with belt cutter and glass breaker bit, then ordered another keyring torch in case the multi pack are no good :).
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

aldhelm wrote:Bought 2 fire extinguishers from Lidl, had massive row with wife in car park, thought to myself thank God she didn't see the extra paracetamol I picked up at the same time.
Ordered another 2 torches from amazon then ordered a pack of 10 keyring 1 led torches. Decided I've got almost enough torches now just need a powerful one got plenty of the smaller ones (pocket size). Also ordered a knife off Amazon that comes with belt cutter and glass breaker bit, then ordered another keyring torch in case the multi pack are no good :).
Sounds like you need to go to Torchaholics Anonymous........ I'll save you a seat next to me :oops:

Preps this week
Bought an anvil
Started refacing anvil
Got some more disks to reface anvil....... Anyone picked up this weeks theme :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar