Potassium Permanganate

How are you preparing
farnet

Potassium Permanganate

Post by farnet »

Hi All,

If you are looking for a good all rounder as a chemical to keep, this stuff is alway in survival packs for the USAF.

It can be used (with sugar) to start a fire, it is also antibacterial, and good at sterilising wounds (when diluted in water).

Just be sure you read the COSHH on it and aware of it's dangerous side (inhilation of fumes etc), but its something I have and am impressed with how many things it can be used for.

Cheers

Farnet
Area 6 bordering to area 8

'Time is a poison - too much of it and you die'
featherstick

Re: Potassium Permanganate

Post by featherstick »

Can also be used for distress signals in the snow, if we ever have any snow.
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

Chlorine powder is also a handy thing to keep with you. You can mix it with break fluid to start a fire.

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
janso

Potassium Permanganate

Post by janso »

Chlorine powder and dot 4? No way, didn't know that one?

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
Society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right but nobody has a responsibility
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

janso wrote:Chlorine powder and dot 4? No way, didn't know that one?

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
Haven't tried it myself yet but there are several videos on Youtube regarding fire making using different chemicals. Try typing in 'survival hacks' on Youtube and you'll be surprised what you learn.

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
Vespa

Post by Vespa »

An excellent treatment for athletes foot. A small pinch of crystals in 10ml of water does the job just as good as some very expensive off the shelf treatments.

Turns your feet purple though. :oops:
dannytsg

Post by dannytsg »

Not only is KMNO4 a good water steriliser and good for fire starting with glycerine it is also a very powerful oxidiser. Anyone with some basic chemistry knowledge would want to keep it around as it can be used for a variety of applications.
Wild Camping motto - "Pitch Late, leave early and leave no trace"

Volunteer Parks and Forest Ranger in the RMBC district

http://www.uksaa.uk
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Vespa wrote:An excellent treatment for athletes foot. A small pinch of crystals in 10ml of water does the job just as good as some very expensive off the shelf treatments.

Has anyone tried this, or am I going to be the first guinea pig test-subject?
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:
Vespa wrote:An excellent treatment for athletes foot. A small pinch of crystals in 10ml of water does the job just as good as some very expensive off the shelf treatments.

Oh, after you Briggs, I love purple but not really as a foot colour! :lol: My poor feet are in the grip of an eczema attack and driving me bonkers! Having to wear socks in bed in this heat is blooming horrible :evil: wherever you may be, let your toes wiggle free! :lol: unless of course you have purple toes :?
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Decaff wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:

Oh, after you Briggs, I love purple but not really as a foot colour! :lol: My poor feet are in the grip of an eczema attack and driving me bonkers! Having to wear socks in bed in this heat is blooming horrible :evil: wherever you may be, let your toes wiggle free! :lol: unless of course you have purple toes :?
I think I'll give it a whirl later. I'm going to try it on the problem area first just in case I lose the whole foot.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors