Winter Blackouts

How are you preparing
yorkshirewolf

Re: Winter Blackouts

Post by yorkshirewolf »

I do know a good corgi registered fitter, but it's not something i'd do unless i had no other choice, but of course in a SHTF situation having the knowledge to do it could be handy.

The best survival kit is what knowledge you carry with you and all that... ;)
digi

Post by digi »

We had our first one of the winter so far. on saturday, not a major problem, caused by the usual wind bringing a tree down onto the power lines somewhere. Homes were without power for about 3 hours saturday morning, but, the whole village was without terrestrial tv, radio and mobile phone signal untill around 8pm
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Wee bit OT here- but doesn't this show that it's not a good idea to store stuff on kindles or tablets or anything like that - once the lights go off then it's too late eh?
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

diamond lil wrote:Wee bit OT here- but doesn't this show that it's not a good idea to store stuff on kindles or tablets or anything like that - once the lights go off then it's too late eh?
Or maybe you learn it from your kindle and tablet so that its natural when your lights go out. No use studying something by candle light and in the cold anyway..... unless its quick referencing and "revision".
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote:Wee bit OT here- but doesn't this show that it's not a good idea to store stuff on kindles or tablets or anything like that - once the lights go off then it's too late eh?

Or you sit smugly with a car charger and either the car or a leisure battery / power bank and a solar panel :)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:

Or you sit smugly with a car charger and either the car or a leisure battery / power bank and a solar panel :)
Oh yes! Love my kindle, getting that meant I could declutter a whole bookcase of paperbacks. The only books I have now are cooking, reference and "useful" books. I'm an avid reader and literally ran out of space to keep my books in!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Decaff wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote:

Oh yes! Love my kindle, getting that meant I could declutter a whole bookcase of paperbacks. The only books I have now are cooking, reference and "useful" books. I'm an avid reader and literally ran out of space to keep my books in!

Fiction goes on the kindle, useful, skill related stuff is still bought in real book form. We've got solar chargers, and I'm reasonably confident that we could cobble together power production between us, but I still like real books when it comes to learning. Can't peg the nice large pages open and prop up the dinky kindle and the pics on it are crap!
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Agree redskies, mine is the first kindle paper white generation so its just for reading novels etc. Mr D has the fire which I hate to read with due to the backlighting.

Sorry, my tablet has issues with spelling... It changes perfectly sensible words into nonsense! :roll: drives me batty
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Decaff wrote:Agree redskies, mine is the first kindle paper white generation so its just for reading novels etc. Mr D has the fire which I hate to read with due to the backlighting.

Sorry, my tablet has issues with spelling... It changes perfectly sensible words into nonsense! :roll: drives me batty

Same kindle I have. Doesn't need to be fancy, just readable. But I do wish the pictures were better!

My phone does that with spelling. Drives me batty too :P
digi

Post by digi »

The village where i live has now been 24 hours with no mobile phone coverage, radio signals or freeview tv signals, the 3rd time in a week. I know there are people a lot worse off right now, but here, those without satellite tv have no way of seeing or hearing news or announcements broadcast.

Im ready to run and fit floodgates for a few older people who live a few hundred yards away if i see any changes online in the flood alerts for where i live, but the airwaves are silent