Winter Blackouts

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Winter Blackouts

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

digi wrote:The village where i live has now been 24 hours with no mobile phone coverage, radio signals or freeview tv signals, the 3rd time in a week. I know there are people a lot worse off right now, but here, those without satellite tv have no way of seeing or hearing news or announcements broadcast.

Im ready to run and fit floodgates for a few older people who live a few hundred yards away if i see any changes online in the flood alerts for where i live, but the airwaves are silent

well sadly ignoring any political / racial spin your missing nothing on the news.. Its hardly getting a mention about the people at risk of flooding

edit that sounds wrong just to clarify a few years ago this area flooded badly my mums bossed daughter was washed off the road when the river bust its banks...... just so happened to tie in as the same night as Nelson Mandella's death... even as a local trying to get info even by local radio forget it as the tv/ internet news/ radio was all consumed with his story/ those who had met him et all
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
hobo

Post by hobo »

farnet wrote: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:45 am Hi Grenfell,

I worked for Horizon Nuclear Power before they got sold to Hitachi, and at that point the schedule was to have the first reactor live by 2025, so that is where I am basing my figures. I think the timescales to shutdown an existing reactor, commission a new new and bring it into production is about 15 years, (but those figures maybe out of date now).
Is this the same plant referred to here? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46900918
Wylfa Newydd: Hitachi to halt work on UK nuclear plant
richardivryn

Post by richardivryn »

Lemony wrote: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:54 pm Ooh, we do love our Kelly kettle! Of of our best buys ever, that! :D
one of the best Christmas presents I ever got was my Kelly kettle.
Area 12
richardivryn

Post by richardivryn »

preppingsu wrote: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:58 pm Can anyone recommend a decent head torch at a reasonable price. I'm thinking of stocking filler this year.
I bought mine in home bargains £2 each.
Area 12