Winter Blackouts

How are you preparing
preppingsu

Winter Blackouts

Post by preppingsu »

As discussed in another thread there is the threat of winter blackouts due to increased energy consumption and a decrease in power production.

We have many new members, several of whom are new to prepping. In this thread it would be good to discuss how someone could get ready for possible power outages, thinking about financial elements as many will not be able to buy a generator, solar panels and have their house rewired to accommodate these things (these are often long term prepping goals!)

So over to you. What would you suggest people do to get ready for blackouts?
Lemony

Re: Winter Blackouts

Post by Lemony »

Our electricity goes off regularly, especially when it's raining and windy (the electricians are stumped but think there's a dodgy cable that they can't find) so we are quite used to power cuts. We've got a big supply of candles and torches, a gas camping stove, food that's easy to cook on it, and a stack of non-electrical things to do with the children :)
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

Lighting
The one touch led battery lights from pound land have a few plus spare batteries
Candles scented ones you could get lucky lol
Battery lanterns
Parraffin lamps eg tilley

Cooking
Some sort of camping stove plus fuel

Heat
Extra blankets or see candles above
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I am adding extra gas for the camp stove and more candles to the existing stash, and I've got a good supply of books and jigsaws for non-electrical entertainment. I am going to get myself a battery-operated radio next week, too.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Good points there preppingsu. To a new prepper, there is a lot of conflicting information. For what it is worth, here is my advice.
Lighting. I would go LED. Bob the Builder mentioned the poundland touch lights. I have 'em stuck all over the place. When it suddenly goes black, you just press it and you can see where you are. Get a couple of LED torches, nice and portable. Also make sure you have spare batteries. Poundland do the Kodak ones that work well in LED lighting. Then I would look at an LED camping lantern. These throw a good lump of light. The power drain on all these is minimal. If you MUST use candles, bear in mind that you never,EVER, leave a burning one unattended. Candles are the single biggest cause of housefires. You can buy a fire extinguisher on Amazon for less than a tenner. Also, where candles are concerned, remember the matches.
Cooking. As previously mentioned, a simple camp stove and spare gas canisters. You can get a 'Bistro' style stove ( or suitcase stove as they are also known) for about a tenner. A pack of 4 gas cans for a fiver.
Heating. Well, if the electricity goes off then so will your gas central heating. Because the electric pump will stop. Also of course, much of the newest central heating is electronically operated and controlled. If you have a stand-alone gas fire, all well and good. Domestic gas supplies are planned by GVT. to be the last thing to fail. Of course you may be all-electric, so the gas fire does not apply. Maybe you have a woodstove or open fire? If so, great! Just make sure you have adequate fuel and matches. And make sure that chimney is swept well before needed.
What if you have none of those? Then you need to make sure you have warm clothes, woolly hats and mittens. Hopefully you have acquired the camp stove , so you can have a hot drink and some hot food.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

There was a post by a member (if my memory serves it was redskies - apologies if that's wrong) who a while ago mentioned having button LED torches on every windowsill in the house in case of blackouts which i thought was such a great simple idea.

If the power goes out at night, most people can get to a windowsill because it's either close, or the moonlight shines through.
Area 8.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote:I am adding extra gas for the camp stove and more candles to the existing stash, and I've got a good supply of books and jigsaws for non-electrical entertainment. I am going to get myself a battery-operated radio next week, too.
The radio is a good idea too. I can thoroughly recommend the Sony brand of portable radios. I have one in the kitcen and one in the greenhouse. When everything is dead, communication-wise, information is valuable. Good call there itsybitsy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Last week i had my gas boiler condemned as unsafe. So no central heating or hot water. It has now been replaced by the insurance Co. If the electric fails I will be in the same situation, so I bought a portable LPG Heater for a standby and to cover for the missing Central Heating.

Had to carry hot water to the sink to wash in the morning.

I also have a camping gas stove to cook and heat water on if required.

I also have several LED lighting systems, Battery operated TV and Radio.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Cooking: I need to get some more gas for the camping stove.
Lighting: I'm all right for candles but I'm thinking of getting some storm lanterns for them as I think they are safer. Have got battery's for all the touches so I am ok on that front and I have two oil lamps but I need a couple of more
Heating: The house is well insulated having taken the government kind offer of having walls and roofing done. We have thick curtains at all the windows and have door curtains to put up if needed. Blankets, and sleeping bags are with in reach.
Entertainment: two battery radios- Books- and crafts at hand. Luckily I have no young children to entertain
So I am ok for lighting and heat and entertainment, just got to get the cooking sorted out
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Guess I'll be off to the poundshop in the morning!

I have a rechargeable lantern that is charged up every month. Several torches doted around and a box of candles. To maximise the light from candles I have seem old tin lids to stand them on to reflect the light.

We have a 2 ring camp stove with spare canisters, plus the clay oven if we need a change of food.

Laptops are always charged up so we would be able to watch a film plus plenty of books for entertainment. However, it would be a good time to catch up on sleep as I wouldn't be able to do any extra work... :P

We have a log burner for heat.