Winter Blackouts

How are you preparing
Stasher

Re: Winter Blackouts

Post by Stasher »

cornerstone wrote:I have made some container candles, some from scratch with my own wick and wax and some bought, some i just made some bigger size by melting old wax from cheap candles putting a biggish candle in the middle and pouring the wax around the edges to make it bigger, i made some with my own wick in kilner jars with a nightlight threaded through the wick to give an extra 8 hour boost at the bottom as i did with all the container candles and some triple size nightlights.
In view of the expected or reported winter blackouts.
a 10% beeswax mix improves the container candle by almost double.
oooo, nice
Knowledge is power
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

SooBee wrote:Been spending the last few months training to live without Broadband!
So hows that going for you ....... oh wait if you succeeded you'll never respond. ha ha
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
7 lives

Post by 7 lives »

Hi Cornastone-Love to hear you are making candles-just be aware as I am sure you are that if you mix wax from different sources you don't know what concentration of wax/stearin/ etc is in them-they can explode from the side!
how do I know this?
Experience and many hundreds of candles later.....
7 lives

Post by 7 lives »

oops ignore that post-just put glasses on and read you were making container candles :lol:
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

7 lives wrote:oops ignore that post-just put glasses on and read you were making container candles :lol:
yes container candles are so much easier, i like the easy stuff. quickness just like soap, i just rebatch and make it bigger and add some nivea you get a good soap from cheap and no dangerous chemicals, i am all for quickness
bettersafethansorry

Post by bettersafethansorry »

2 brown outs and one black out this week alone in North west UK,

Anyone else had this this week?
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

bettersafethansorry wrote:2 brown outs and one black out this week alone in North west UK,

Anyone else had this this week?

No but about 3 weeks ago we lost power at work for 4 hours
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
greyman

Post by greyman »

I've been making candle holders from old jars,drill holes either side,cut bottom off, candle fits in the lid and used some thick copper wire I had lying round threaded through the holes.
Could do with a power cut to get the Mrs on board,does my head in how blinkered some people are!
bettersafethansorry

Post by bettersafethansorry »

greyman wrote:I've been making candle holders from old jars,drill holes either side,cut bottom off, candle fits in the lid and used some thick copper wire I had lying round threaded through the holes.
Could do with a power cut to get the Mrs on board,does my head in how blinkered some people are!
Drilling in to the glass jar and how are you cutting it??

any pics or instructables.... ?

-M
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
greyman

Post by greyman »

http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=42868 one of these for the hole
And one of these for slicing the bottom off http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=10565

No I don't work for toolstation :D
Dead easy with the tile cutter,then I just rubbed the cut edge with a sharpening stone or wet and dry to take any sharp edges off. Get some pics up soon.
Just a bit safer than them stuck on a plate,wee Willy winky style