Winter Blackouts

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: Winter Blackouts

Post by jansman »

Topical update! Literally just got back from dog walk. An upstairs flat at the end of our village caught fire at 8 am today. Police and fire investigation dogs there. Old boy I know over the road there said there was a fatality. Nasty.
Check those smoke alarms chaps and chapesses.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
alwayscross

Post by alwayscross »

jansman wrote:Topical update! Literally just got back from dog walk. An upstairs flat at the end of our village caught fire at 8 am today. Police and fire investigation dogs there. Old boy I know over the road there said there was a fatality. Nasty.
Check those smoke alarms chaps and chapesses.
Funny because I actually did two days ago, I got new ones and wanted to check if it worked. AND YES JESUS THEY DO WORK, never heard a sound so loud. Neighbours said they heard it over 10 houses away, proud to say im somewhat safe.
Morality is doing what's right, no matter what your told. Religion is doing what your told, no matter what is right.
Dicon

Post by Dicon »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Ebay is your friend

Alarm clock

Massive Tea-lights

Huge candles

Hurricane lamp

Kettle

Stove

Shaver

Not recommendations, just a few bits I linked to
I had a look at the stove on Ebay, I saw one in my local hardware shop awhile ago,. about £14. ish
They are asking£995.51
A bit steep I though, that and a £100 storm lantern.
Very odd.
Dicon
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

The links are examples of type rather then suggestions of sellers....... That said, I'm pretty sure the stove wasn't nearly a grand when I linked to it :shock:

The lantern price is for six units, which I'll admit is at the expensive end of the market.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Safety1st

Post by Safety1st »

Lots of good advice on here...

Just to clarify the dangers of candles.. one member said they were the biggest cause of household fire... That's untrue.. they make up less than 12%. The biggest cause of household fires are cooking appliances..by well over 52% and then things like other electrical appliances, overloaded sockets etc, Smoking in bed etc is way down too..about 7% (that includes matches)...

Stay safe people...
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Safety1st wrote:Lots of good advice on here...

Just to clarify the dangers of candles.. one member said they were the biggest cause of household fire... That's untrue.. they make up less than 12%. The biggest cause of household fires are cooking appliances..by well over 52% and then things like other electrical appliances, overloaded sockets etc, Smoking in bed etc is way down too..about 7% (that includes matches)...

Stay safe people...
Anybody remember the safety adverts about not coming home from the pub and deciding to put the oil on to fry up some chips?

I'd say the biggest cause of household fires is probably people......
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

preparedsurrey wrote:
Safety1st wrote:Lots of good advice on here...

Stay safe people...
Anybody remember the safety adverts about not coming home from the pub and deciding to put the oil on to fry up some chips?

I'd say the biggest cause of household fires is probably people......
dont see ads like these any more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZx2kx5a6Wk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7GBAYiBRhA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZImNknc8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESHNJybDxgw
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

Been spending the last few months training to live without Broadband!

Internet buying is the hardest to do without.

Probably good for me and a timely reminder not to depend on it.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I wish I could get rid of my broadband. I've got GiffGaff pay as you go and unlimited tinterweb, I don't need more than that.

Blackout's wouldn't affect my forum contributions! :D
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

I have made some container candles, some from scratch with my own wick and wax and some bought, some i just made some bigger size by melting old wax from cheap candles putting a biggish candle in the middle and pouring the wax around the edges to make it bigger, i made some with my own wick in kilner jars with a nightlight threaded through the wick to give an extra 8 hour boost at the bottom as i did with all the container candles and some triple size nightlights.
In view of the expected or reported winter blackouts.
a 10% beeswax mix improves the container candle by almost double.