Post by hobo »

These have mostly good reviews:
Ring Cyba-Lite LED Headlamp
£9.99
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ROKL5A1OLE
rik_uk3

Re: Winter Blackouts

Post by rik_uk3 »

farnet wrote:Rik_UK3 - the cheap storm lamps are amazing for the cost, and work really well (great for garden parties) but be warned, because they are cheap they aren't finished very well and there are a few razor sharp edges in the thing. I did open my finger up rather deeply a few years ago when messing trying to light it (admittedly after a few beers), and the gaps to fit the match through are some of the sharpest and sliced skin rather well (or badly depending on your veiwpoint).

With that in mind, they are still well worth it
I collect stoves and (some) lanterns but never noticed sharp edges on the cheap lanterns? I own or have owned Dietz and Fuerhand lanterns which cost a lot more but the build quality is not much better than the cheap lights and of course the light output is the same. One thing I have done with the cheap lanterns in the past is to give them a quick spray with high temp paint or plasti kote paint. I've had one hanging in the garden since 2006 and its still working just fine 8-)

How do you light yours, lever lift the globe or pull the hood and lower back the whole globe?
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
DundeePrepper

Post by DundeePrepper »

ForgeCorvus wrote:If you're planning on burning anything indoors (paraffin, alcohol, LPG, candles etc) don't forget a CO detector
Can't agree more!

Here's a wee bargin one for a fiver..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sylglas-Carbon- ... o+detector
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
DundeePrepper

Post by DundeePrepper »

First Aid Kit

Not just bandages and plasters! Make sure you have plenty basic meds, painkillers, anti-histamines, anti-inflammatories, ice packs, heat packs, cough syrups, lemsip etc,

Although I doubt very much there will be rolling blackouts this Winter, those of us who live remotely or even in suberbs may find the weather (1 inch+ of snow :roll: ) usually grinds us too a halt!!
If there is severe weather / blackouts you can be sure Tesco/Asda and even local shops/pharmacies wont be open, and you can bet Doctors, Out of Hours and Hospitals / Ambulances will be will be flooded by the ill prepared / foolish. :evil:
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

With direct reference to expected 'brown outs' we've been taking part in a series of trial runs called where by we cut power to the whole regiment for an hour or so at a time in order to allow the local civil population greater usage of what power is available.

Its not a voluntary thing, the Govt. is ramping up energy prices tenfold for all 'industrial' sites during these times. According to the CO that puts the price of boiling a kettle at these times around the £150 mark.

It is quite funny having several hundred men and women in the gym with candles, head torches and cyalumes.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Captain Darling wrote:
Its not a voluntary thing, the Govt. is ramping up energy prices tenfold for all 'industrial' sites during these times. According to the CO that puts the price of boiling a kettle at these times around the £150 mark.

It is quite funny having several hundred men and women in the gym with candles, head torches and cyalumes.

and the cost when a few squaddies burn down a barrack block brewing up on a hexy? :twisted:

whats the emergency lighting like in the buildings most public buildings seem well catered for generally regs are 3 lux and 8 iirc over stair wells or change in levels
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

DundeePrepper wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:If you're planning on burning anything indoors (paraffin, alcohol, LPG, candles etc) don't forget a CO detector
Can't agree more!

Here's a wee bargin one for a fiver..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sylglas-Carbon- ... o+detector

they still sell these? they are not recommended can remember something about them on watchdog i think it was
You are particularly at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping, as you may not be aware of early carbon monoxide symptoms until it’s too late. Do not use the ‘black spot’ detectors that change colour when carbon monoxide is present. These will not make a sound to wake you up if the poisonous gas is present while you are sleeping.
http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/learn/ ... kills.aspx

farnet

Post by farnet »

Yorkshire Andy... I was hoping it was taken as read that no one should use these indoor, as they are a fire risk as well and Monoxide poisoning...

any parafin / oil / natural gas heater, light or stove should only being used in a very well ventilated room or outside.....

I really would hate to hear someone becoming a victim of circumstance due to this sort of schoolboy mistake.
Area 6 bordering to area 8

'Time is a poison - too much of it and you die'
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I agree problem is by and large peppers are /have an understanding of risk way beyond the average Joe and its those new to prepping or those who rush out and buy a generator who are not used to portable off grid kit and the inherent risks

I've been camping and caravaning for years and have seen people do frankly stupid things with all manor of frankly stupid things with gas appliances and bbq's and associated fuels

I've had the CO alarm go off in the garage even though the generator was outside I was unaware till the alarm started splitting my ear drums..

If you become drowsey due to co poisoning the last thing your likely to do is go look at an indicator patch

DundeePrepper

Post by DundeePrepper »

The CO detector (black spot ones) I think would be beneficial the last thing you want it a 90 decibel alarm telling everyone your at home cooking or there is a fire (I'm assuming most would mistake the sound as a domestic fire alarm).. Obviously I wouldn't using a camping stove inside.. They are handy for a balcony or outside only. I do have a CO alarm though and would recommend everyone have one however you are prepping..

As for using gas inside I would rather light a small fire using a low smoke fuel beside a window.. If the worst came to absolute worst that is.. All my cooking/food preps can be eaten cold or cooked using boiled water.. Camp stove style outdoors.

Anyone lucky enough to have a chimney should be looking into getting it in working order, you immediately have most of these issues solved.
Newbie Prepper
- Unknown Author