Getting Ready To Drive In The Snow

How are you preparing
Magz

Getting Ready To Drive In The Snow

Post by Magz »

The snow hasn't reached me yet, but I know it's coming! I've done the usual checks on my car, Oil, anti freeze in the water, checked my tyres, petrol, as I did last winter. I won't be traveling very far, so I don't need to worry to much?
Last year when the snow hit, I was only 25minutes from home, yet it took 2 and a half hours to get there in the snow, and even then I broke law and created a 3rd lane in the middle of the road and drove on the mount of snow that had been pushed to the middle by the traffic on either side, but it was a chance I had to take, cause to make things worse if not indeed life threatening, I had no heater, head gasgit had blown, the traffic was going no where, well actually it was more moving backwards as we were going up a hill, and the cars were sliding down again, all I had with me was a bottle of water and a small blanket and a child.
Last year I was a sheeple, this year? when I leave home tomorrow, to make the same 25minute journey, aswel as my BOB I'l have

shovel
wind up lantern
blankets
extra food and water
wellies
small stove
Flask of hot water

Bring it on! :D
Magz

Re: Getting Ready To Drive In The Snow

Post by Magz »

Well, I do always have cloths and water in the car, and I'm just about to do the screen wash, so I will increase it, but taking my wipers in home? ummm nope, not sure I even know ho to take them off, but I do have de-icer spray, please don't make me take the wipers off :? mind you having said that, they really do need to be washed, so I'l have a go, I'm petty sure they just unclip and maybe slide off?
Magz

Post by Magz »

Great, I'l do that thanks! :)
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Hi

Have increased my kit in the car bag with more food!

Not getting caught out with an empty stomach!
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

A little tip my dad always swore by was to have some weight in the boot to stabilise a car.
Also it might be worth buying a builders hi viz vest so if you have to leave your car the viz jacket might stop some fool running you over.
Magz

Post by Magz »

Hiya, Yeah good idea, you just never know what will happen, I thought I'd be ok no matter what, whats 25minutes? I think we also depend on the fact, that our cars will keep running and we'l be ok inside in the warm, lession learned!! :)
Magz

Post by Magz »

Bulldog wrote:A little tip my dad always swore by was to have some weight in the boot to stabilise a car.
Also it might be worth buying a builders hi viz vest so if you have to leave your car the viz jacket might stop some fool running you over.

Funny enough I was looking at them the other day. But that thought is why I'l be taking the lantern and more glow sticks! few elastic bands and I'l be glow in the dark Magz :lol:
bigpaul

Post by bigpaul »

DON'T do what the silly cows do round here-poor boiling water on the windscreen!!!
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Magz wrote:
Bulldog wrote:A little tip my dad always swore by was to have some weight in the boot to stabilise a car.

Funny enough I was looking at them the other day. But that thought is why I'l be taking the lantern and more glow sticks! few elastic bands and I'l be glow in the dark Magz :lol:
I believe that Poundstretcher may still have reflective vests in. I have one from there I use when out running.
preppingsu
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We once got stuck 2 miles away up on the moor when we first moved here. The plough had to take my kids off to a pub that had opened for travellers, but they left us :mrgreen: . Then the plough got stuck up a farm road !We eventually after a police landrover cleared the way, got the car into a pub carpark . (Picture the pub in the "American Werewolf in London" --- just like that one LOL )
That car was stuck there for FIVE DAYS . With a boot full of coal... while I sat down here freezing with none . :mrgreen: