What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 4123
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:16 am

IMG_20190908_085601049.jpg
Typical the flash was right over the 60°c bit

Apparently the monoamonum phosphate in ABC powder units is heat reactive ( it forms a skin over burning combustible materials )

so if the unit gets hot especially in a car in summer there's a risk of it caking,

years ago I did a full day [back when they used real fire be it wood or petrol in trays (none of this modern risk averse "safe fire" gas burner which as Long as you sweep from side to side the man turns the gas off making you think you put the fire out] fire course and was told to invert the extinguisher and shake it before discharge larger units drop it on its side .... To break up small clumps that can clog the "pick up tube" resulting in a blast of nitrogen and very little powder.......

Recent amendments to the bsi installation of extinguisher regs make powder forbidden indoors in most industrial settings exclusions apply to filling stations or fuel stores where rappid knock down is needed and they won't freeze .. you'll know first hand the mess they make...

Talking to my friend in home insurance it won't affect a domestic policy they'd rather pay a cleaning firm to clean up or replace soft furnishings from dry powder residue than rebuild a house due to fire damage

https://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/ ... rd-change/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

jansman
Posts: 7267
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jansman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:25 am

Invert before use.Top Tip! After using powder I am aware of the swift ' knock-down'. I also figured that the mess after a house fire ,caused by an ABC unit just has to be preferable to full-on fire damage.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

ClericalError
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:21 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by ClericalError » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:59 pm

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:11 pm
Cleric: You need to get yourself a fruit picker pole, they come in three basic types

And Free
Image
The free one looks nifty. I should really get one of these for the lower branches - but the tree is taller than the house. I'm experimenting with pear preserve and chutney recipes.

ForgeCorvus
Posts: 2213
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by ForgeCorvus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:07 pm

Cleric: You just need a longer pole..... And half a dozen volunteers to drive it :lol:
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
Tak wrote:"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
CheeseGate :D

Area 4, bordering 5

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 4123
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Petrol stores fetched upto the legal max of 30l

No problem at the filling station filling a 20l Jerry can once I mentioned the petroleum consolidation act 2014... I went in and asked first
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

User avatar
pseudonym
Posts: 3267
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:11 am
Location: East Midlands

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by pseudonym » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Spent 4 hours pre-applying for a B2 Visa to the USA..... :roll:

Bill Gates must of designed the website layout and function before inventing MS-DOS :lol:
The roads are pretty bad and if you do end up getting stuck its hard to justify your reason for being on the roads as 'vegan mince for a feckin' princess'.

Stonecarver
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Scotland

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Stonecarver » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Panther wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:48 pm
Deeps wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:59 am


Then there's torches, batteries....... I think I need to see nurse for my tablets.
Ah, torches, one can never have enough torches. :)

I keep looking on the Olight Torches site at the X9R Marauder. I can't quite understand why my dear wife says, "No way!"
After all, what's a mere £550.00 for a decent torch. :lol:
Some of the newer torches(never going to call them flashlights) have so many lumens they will soon end up with danger warnings like lasers
One sure sign of the decline of a civilisation is the inability to reproduce the technological achievments of its past

Stonecarver
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Scotland

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Stonecarver » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:52 pm

pseudonym wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:58 pm
Spent 4 hours pre-applying for a B2 Visa to the USA..... :roll:

Bill Gates must of designed the website layout and function before inventing MS-DOS :lol:
If you cant complete it then they dont want you coming over
One sure sign of the decline of a civilisation is the inability to reproduce the technological achievments of its past

User avatar
pseudonym
Posts: 3267
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:11 am
Location: East Midlands

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by pseudonym » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:44 pm

Stonecarver wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:52 pm
pseudonym wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:58 pm
Spent 4 hours pre-applying for a B2 Visa to the USA..... :roll:

Bill Gates must of designed the website layout and function before inventing MS-DOS :lol:
If you cant complete it then they dont want you coming over
The questions were relatively easy, the site kept logging out, and you would have to repeat the section you hadn't saved all over again...... repeatedly :roll: been like it for years apparently.

Now I'm in a pissing contest over the amount of medication I am legally allowed to bring in.... TSA wont touch it, CBP have said 90 days... my trip is for 180.....CBP said it's up to the CBP person on the desks discretion when I arrive.... yeah thanks for that :cry:
The roads are pretty bad and if you do end up getting stuck its hard to justify your reason for being on the roads as 'vegan mince for a feckin' princess'.

ForgeCorvus
Posts: 2213
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by ForgeCorvus » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:23 pm

pseudonym wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:44 pm
Stonecarver wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:52 pm
pseudonym wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:58 pm
Spent 4 hours pre-applying for a B2 Visa to the USA..... :roll:

Bill Gates must of designed the website layout and function before inventing MS-DOS :lol:
If you cant complete it then they dont want you coming over
The questions were relatively easy, the site kept logging out, and you would have to repeat the section you hadn't saved all over again...... repeatedly :roll: been like it for years apparently.

Now I'm in a pissing contest over the amount of medication I am legally allowed to bring in.... TSA wont touch it, CBP have said 90 days... my trip is for 180.....CBP said it's up to the CBP person on the desks discretion when I arrive.... yeah thanks for that :cry:
Can you take a scrip and get it filled there?
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
Tak wrote:"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
CheeseGate :D

Area 4, bordering 5

Post Reply