"wildfire risk" extremely high..

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

"wildfire risk" extremely high..

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:42 pm

Those of you who have seen the news will have seen the high fire risks and associated wild fires more notably locally ish in Ilkley moor (relative was up there fighting it....

Got me thinking about last summer where the fire service attended the wasteland behind our house due to arson / disposal of a cigarette resulting in a small fire in the open.....

During / immediately after that I used one of the prep flood pumps and pumped about 2000l of water over the fence (kids big paddling pool) and we had a little green oasis of weeds / brambles but less risk of immediate fire getting to the outbuildings due to the hedge and weeds been "green"
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

jansman

Re: "wildfire risk" extremely high..

Post by jansman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:35 am

You make a VERY good point there Andy.I have a bramble ' jungle ' next to me.If that went up ( never came onto my radar!),we could potentially lose my workshop and the Summer house,tunnel and greenhouse,not to mention the animals.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:18 am

Here in the Highlands wildfires happen every year so we have to be thoughtful about it. I have a pile of garden waste needing burnt, mostly shrub trimming from over the winter, did try to burn it earlier but it was too wet. Thought about it a few days ago when it had been dry but decided it was too risky in the heat and there was a breeze. over the fence of my back garden is thousands of acres of trees, heather, scrub. I dread to think how much damage I could do, mind you it would put paid to my tick problem ! :twisted:

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:34 pm

jansman wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:35 am
You make a VERY good point there Andy.I have a bramble ' jungle ' next to me.If that went up ( never came onto my radar!),we could potentially lose my workshop and the Summer house,tunnel and greenhouse,not to mention the animals.
We are on water rates so like last night after dark I sat the sprinkler on the shed roof and left it a good 40 minutes it's one of the below so it's reasonablly directional
91BS aujPsL._SL1500_.jpg

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Couple of big fires on now up in Moray and Lochaber.

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:12 pm

Local fire service website listed about 10 different fires on grass land yesterday alone! and that isn't moorland
Screenshot_20190423-210944.png

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Mon May 13, 2019 8:12 pm

Well finally got a reel for the allotment I've now got another hose which will reach the house incase of fire be it in or out our allotment is 80m from home and the allotment standpipe is less than 20m away from our garden hop a few / go through a fence and I'm at the back of the house...

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil » Tue May 14, 2019 11:15 am

Bought a safe for under the floorboards. The pile under the mattress was making the bed too high.
Aye. Right :lol: