What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Arwen Thebard

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Chainsaws serviced and dry stored. Didn't take too long in the end and I've been putting it off for weeks so glad to get it out of the way at last.

Small petrol genny (1500w) to be serviced on Saturday morning and plan to be starting the renovation of a 5kva Yanmar diesel genny I acquired recently.

Why do I put myself through this crap? I'm rubbish at engine mechanics so everything takes me twice as long as most people. :cry:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:36 pm Chainsaws serviced and dry stored. Didn't take too long in the end and I've been putting it off for weeks so glad to get it out of the way at last.

Small petrol genny (1500w) to be serviced on Saturday morning and plan to be starting the renovation of a 5kva Yanmar diesel genny I acquired recently.

Why do I put myself through this crap? I'm rubbish at engine mechanics so everything takes me twice as long as most people. :cry:
Kudos for doing it yourself mate, I'm not particularly technical myself and tend to defer these kind of things. You'll get better the more you do it, now if I could only motivate myself to follow that logic. My 'big' solar project is still very much a work in progress. :oops:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

A good friend of mine used to be a tree surgeon and is a dab hand on setting up carbs and repairing recoil units
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Watching this guy, Maximus Ironthumper.
Lots of Off-grid and Homesteading info.
His vids are from the point of view of "I've tried this and it didn't work for me, so now I'm doing it like that", also hes on his own and has managed to break himself a bit so his advice is in 'the work smarter not harder' school of thought

My only gripe is how he handles angle grinders.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well today I've been loosely prepping for the predicted snow which never materialised had the lights dim a few times this evening so lit a few candles in lanterns whilst settled on the sofa with the kids watching a Christmas film whilst the wind and rain rattled the windows.. they couldn't care less once they had a mixing bowl of popcorn

Jumped on the domestics today incase this freezing rain appeared and took out the power

(hit my parents who are in the Yorkshire dales it's frozen solid round Thirsk apparently)

I cleared the laundry basket used the dry polar air to my advantage got 3 loads done and dried a few items in the tumble whilst I had the extension lead to my shed I boosted up the spare leisure battery with the mains charger

Whilst raking all the rechargeable batteries in and batch charging them and doing a pre Christmas deep clean of the kitchen

Tested my back up lighting and cured a leaking petrol tap on the Coleman lantern which I discovered whilst testing... Prior planning and all that

Moved the calor heater in the shed so it's easy to get to and dug out a few bio ethanol containers for the bio ethanol fire place....

But the air temperature is now rising and the met office has cancelled the ice warning Mrs Andy is out at her works party I've got a few beers chilled and a relaxing evening now the chillblanes are in bed

Chickens also got double rations today which they seemed happy abour

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Oh well laundry prepping paid off empty wash basket +puking baby = clean dry replacement bedding and pajamas ... Looks like it's going to be a long night :?

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:16 pm Oh well laundry prepping paid off empty wash basket +puking baby = clean dry replacement bedding and pajamas ... Looks like it's going to be a long night :?
I am glad that we only remember those days,but are not experiencing them!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:16 pm Oh well laundry prepping paid off empty wash basket +puking baby = clean dry replacement bedding and pajamas ... Looks like it's going to be a long night :?
Hope it went well today, Andy - I just spent the day with a 5 month old baby, sort of that puking age, but no puking today thankfully :mrgreen: lots of fun :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well I've cleaned pasta from the bath and washer

Amazing the capacity of a little ones digestive system :s

Tumble drier is a godsend at this time of year with the wet weather..

We run out of sheets (3x ) and also puked on 5 bath sheets Which we used as emergency bedding!!

Treated myself to ANOTHER torch today I had a £10 voucher which expires 31/12 from the spend £100 get a tenner voucher so the torch cost me nothing not the best but it's plenty bright enough

The strap is naff but meh

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7477997

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Our ancient oil boiler broke down 3 weeks ago and it's taken until now, a process of elimination and several new parts to get it up and running. Luckily having the two woodburners we were able to keep warm, have an electric shower, a kettle for the stove and on the odd occasion used the immersion heater for hot water. This put quite a dent in our wood supplies and we have spent dry days chopping up our free wood to restock. I ordered another emergency battery pack for the usb lights I bought as an emergency measure and have added more batteries and candles to the stores. Also had one of those periods of everything breaking, first the hoover, then the windscreen heater matrix on the truck (expensive job, complete dash removal), then the boiler and am really glad we had some savings to dig into, they say things come in threes. I have been looking at some wool blankets and thinking I might get a bargain looked on charity shop sites, oh my goodness how much they are charging for "vintage" blankets. I will probably stick to army surplus ones instead.
Growing old disgracefully!