What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:43 pm
Arzosah wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:00 pm The little tent was just delivered.
Please film you trying to get it back in the bag ;)
Will do :lol:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:56 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:43 pm
Arzosah wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:00 pm The little tent was just delivered.
Please film you trying to get it back in the bag ;)
Will do :lol:
Hint..................

Get a bigger bag :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:34 am
I've got very similar tent by terranova

For easy pitching however our disabled friend swears by kyham tents

https://www.khyam.co.uk/tents-c174/bert ... ct-tent-p4

But they are not cheap
I looks good, very fast pitch, its impressive but mine is almost half the weight, smaller pack size and almost half the price.

We all have our individual needs and I guess this suits your friend, my main concern is it's going on my back while i'm walking, the lighter my pack is the further I can go with less effort.

havent seen that tent before cheers for posting.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 pm Arzosah, The pop up tents have issue with large pack size fine for car boot camping no good for walking with it
So, I didn't take account of the above point at my peril (previous page of this thread, I've condensed a bit) and the pack size, for walking, is horrendous. I can make do with a bungee cord strapping it to my pack, if I really had to, but I'm really, really hoping I never have to :lol: I must have been mad. At least it doesn't take any extra storage space, I've put it with the flexible insulation foil. Quite annoyed with myself now :evil:

I *have* just been slimlining storage by putting together the kit I'd need for microgreens over the winter - sturdy mushroom and veg containers from the supermarket (ie free! after the waste of money with the tent :( ) plus lots of seeds that I already had in stock - lettuce, cress, that sort of thing. They're all out of date, but I'm not buying more till I've had a go and proved that I can do it and take care of them, I've temporarily lost trust in my judgement of what to buy and when, grrr.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Getting the car ready for winter this week, serviced, winter tyres fitted, ice scraper and de icer re stocked, blanket and some extra items added to the car GHB in boot.

Now it wont snow. :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:54 pm Getting the car ready for winter this week, serviced, winter tyres fitted, ice scraper and de icer re stocked, blanket and some extra items added to the car GHB in boot.

Now it wont snow. :lol:

What tyres you gone for last car I had verdistine snow track tyres they were flipping ace!
images(65).jpg
images(65).jpg (13.59 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
Since the bad winter 7 years or so ago I've not really needed them in anger..

New car has continental cross contact m+s marked all seasons fitted not as good as full winters but a happy medium going by the past few winters

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/descriptio ... Contact+LX

If we do get bad snow I also have snow chains
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Our Skoda came with Continental Cross Climate tyres fitted and despite being classed as "winter" tyres under UK law, unfortunately they are NOT legal in most parts of Europe and you would be heavily fined and your car impounded if caught on a German autobahn between October and March. :( People need to be made aware of this as more and more Brits are caught out every year driving to their skiing resort.

What happens is you get a roadside fine of (approx) E80 euros per tyre including the spare, unless you have a can of inflation repair. The car is then impounded to the nearest dealer/ garage / service point (at your expense of approx E120 euros) where you must buy new winter legal tyres before being allowed to proceed. (Approx cost per tyre in Germany upwards of E128 euros each) We know people that this has happened to :o

We have a set of Dunlop Winter Sport 5 which we swap over each year and they are awesome in the snow.
IMG_20181115_122305.jpg
Arwen The Bard

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:44 pm Our Skoda came with Continental Cross Climate tyres fitted and despite being classed as "winter" tyres under UK law, unfortunately they are NOT legal in most parts of Europe and you would be heavily fined and your car impounded if caught on a German autobahn between October and March. :( People need to be made aware of this as more and more Brits are caught out every year driving to their skiing resort.

What happens is you get a roadside fine of (approx) E80 euros per tyre including the spare, unless you have a can of inflation repair. The car is then impounded to the nearest dealer/ garage / service point (at your expense of approx E120 euros) where you must buy new winter legal tyres before being allowed to proceed. (Approx cost per tyre in Germany upwards of E128 euros each) We know people that this has happened to :o

We have a set of Dunlop Winter Sport 5 which we swap over each year and they are awesome in the snow.

IMG_20181115_122305.jpg
Ouch from what I have read the absolute minimum on the autobahn is M+S marking

Ideally the three peaks and snowflake symbol

My cousin several years ago spent 24 hours stranded leaving the Alps

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/ ... rench-alps

Heading in they were pulled in to fit chains (having been advised by yours truly to practice fitting them after 30 minutes a police officer fitted then for him in 2 mins flat)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

We have a walk- in pantry,and a dry- lined outbuilding where we store stuff,along with 3 freezers.I have done a rough audit,and we have about 4 month's food for the two of us.Happy about that.That is a conservative figure too.

Given today's news about the sh#t storm in Westminster,we shall be ramping up stores. Not what we normally would do,as when the kids left we found that we were still storing for a family,and we became a little overwhelmed.

Food is not an issue,as if it came to it ( and I doubt it will be Armageddon),I can just walk up to my shoot and bag something! OTC medicine is a weak spot for us,so we shall sort that.We have enough firewood for this Winter and next,and coal until the end of March.That will be ramped up soon.Mrs J has told the girls to start stocking up too!

The end of March will come and go,and we may have problems.If we don't,then good!.If we do,then our immediate preps will sooth the sting.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Much the same conversation going on in this house tonight.
Arwen The Bard