S.O. on board :-)

How are you preparing
Nurseandy

S.O. on board :-)

Post by Nurseandy »

My (much) better half & I were out sat around a fire in the garden last night chatting away when during the course of the conversation (I don't know what about now - had had a couple by then) the word "stockpiling" came up. I jumped on the chance to bring the conversation around to prepping - she's completely on board! Happy boy!
We're about a thousand feet up on a single track road so regularly get snowed in (but not for long) so I suppose the seed had already been planted.
Footnote - when heavy snow's forecast the village (whose inhabitants are predominantly elderly) shop runs out of lard not bread!
Deeps

Re: S.O. on board :-)

Post by Deeps »

Nice one, Her Maj still isn't fully assimilated into the Borg Collective, still rolls her eyes at stuff but also points out stuff. She's miles better than she was and I think gets it, just not to the same level. She's benefited plenty from me being able to 'magic' something up that she needs.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mrs J is fully on board,and has been forever.We are not doomsday preppers.In fact Prepper is not a word I like.We simply consider ourselves to be self- reliant.She has just done an online shop,and I did not need to point out gaps on the shelves of our main store room...What a woman!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:11 pm Mrs J is fully on board,and has been forever.We are not doomsday preppers.In fact Prepper is not a word I like.We simply consider ourselves to be self- reliant.She has just done an online shop,and I did not need to point out gaps on the shelves of our main store room...What a woman!
Its not really how I see myself either but as we're on a site called UK Preppers..... :lol:

It is a 'catch all' term that covers a lot of bases while we maybe don't tick all the boxes. I've no respirators or noddy suits etc but then some preppers won't be arsed about dehydrators or allotments (weirdos :lol: ). I'm certainly not anticipating or relishing some propeller powered cooling system cross contamination involving faeces or my improved status after said interaction. Oh, and I don't wear a paracord bracelet either.

Still wish the missus would let me buy more stuff though. ;)
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Yes, prepping sort of conjures images of zombies & machine guns.
Target at the moment is storing enough food for a family of five for a week. Feel i'm "ready" enough for heating/cooking/water/lights for a good while. Pondering getting some sheets of plywood in for emergency window repairs. Suppose could also use it to make hutches to breed the wild rabbits from the field behind the house if the food situation gets too bad!
jansman

Post by jansman »

I keep and breed rabbits.Its not as easy as bunging them in a cage.You will struggle to breed from rabbits captured wild.They tend to mope and die.A mate of mine tried it once when we ferreted some.Wildies,seldom live above 18 months.Better to shoot them when you want one to eat.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Jansman - thanks for the heads up - never knew that. Assumed that it was simply a case of housing feeding & watering them and et voila! Pantry on legs.
Have shot & eaten a few out of the field but lot of work for relatively little food. Still, if ever it gets that bad I know now not to try and trap them, just pop pop ;-)
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Deeps wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:56 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:11 pm Mrs J is fully on board,and has been forever.We are not doomsday preppers.In fact Prepper is not a word I like.We simply consider ourselves to be self- reliant.She has just done an online shop,and I did not need to point out gaps on the shelves of our main store room...What a woman!
Its not really how I see myself either but as we're on a site called UK Preppers..... :lol:

It is a 'catch all' term that covers a lot of bases while we maybe don't tick all the boxes. I've no respirators or noddy suits etc but then some preppers won't be arsed about dehydrators or allotments (weirdos :lol: ). I'm certainly not anticipating or relishing some propeller powered cooling system cross contamination involving faeces or my improved status after said interaction. Oh, and I don't wear a paracord bracelet either.

Still wish the missus would let me buy more stuff though. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wouldn't be seen dead in a paracord bracelet... :shock:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

There is an interesting line in paracord lingerie itsy! :shock: best get knitting :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

I can understand why partners may not be ' on board' .When we first got a computer,about 20 years ago,I discovered online forums.I stumbled across American 'Survivalist' forums,in particular Frugals Squirrels one of the leading sites.There were no UK versions at that time.Just after 2000 there was another Nut Job Yank on the rampage with a gun.The media reported him as"A well armed SURVIVALIST " ( my bold type).It was that point when the term Prepper seemed to fall into use.Frugals changed its woodland cammo background to blue as I remember - an attempt IMO to soften the Survivalist image.

Moving on,we have had the notorious Doomsday Preppers US/UK and we are back to square one! So the term ' Prepper' is now synonymous with ' Whacko ' in most folks' minds.No wonder partners are wary!

Robert Frost.

Me.