What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just ordered another 30w panel to double the charging capacity on my shed it's fine at this time of year but really struggled in the winter to keep it topped up
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Got the bean fences up today. Growing Blue Lake, Borlotti and good old Runners, Streamline. Picked up a load of seed compost from the nursery in the village. That will see me right until this time next year. I always consider any potential availability issues in early Spring. Swapped a load of tomato plants for a load of proper agricultural Roundup- the most effective way to control the jungle gardens either side of mine.

In the morning I am expecting a firewood delivery. This year I have to actually spend money! :o My new job doesn’t allow as much time for scavenging wood, or processing it sadly.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Two tons of coal arrived last week. This week I spent two days cutting wood into handy, burnable lengths. Soon be ready for Winter! :lol:
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Nothing too exciting here, more work up the allotment, going again tomorrow. Had a half sort through of the camping gear as we were away for a couple of days, even Her Maj didn't mind toooooo much although she reckoned one night would have been enough. Sadly there was zero bushcrafting but its got her accepting camping again. Found a place that is quiet enough but has the facilities that Princesses require, up your old stomping ground I think Brambles, Comrie Croft, halfway between Crieff and Comrie.

Had a birthday recently and lots of new toys have been arriving courtesy of Amazon vouchers. :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 3:50 pm Nothing too exciting here, more work up the allotment, going again tomorrow. Had a half sort through of the camping gear as we were away for a couple of days, even Her Maj didn't mind toooooo much although she reckoned one night would have been enough. Sadly there was zero bushcrafting but its got her accepting camping again. Found a place that is quiet enough but has the facilities that Princesses require, up your old stomping ground I think Brambles, Comrie Croft, halfway between Crieff and Comrie.

Had a birthday recently and lots of new toys have been arriving courtesy of Amazon vouchers. :D

I'm itching for a weekend camping found a nice site just over an hour away for £15 a night with electric (electric hob and heater to keep the kids warm and safe)

Happy birthday what's the Amazon man fetching you?

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:30 pm

I'm itching for a weekend camping found a nice site just over an hour away for £15 a night with electric (electric hob and heater to keep the kids warm and safe)

Happy birthday what's the Amazon man fetching you?
That sounds good mate, we were just over an hour away, no lecky but not an issue for us. Hope it goes well, I'm away next weekend too, up the hills this time, a bit of walking and carrying out maintenance on a bothy.

Got a healthy haul of £150 worth of vouchers, already astutely spent on a rucksack, power bank, Nitecore 18650 battery, ice axe and some other bits and bobs. Might have accidentally gone over the 150. :oops:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:05 pm
In the morning I am expecting a firewood delivery. This year I have to actually spend money! :o My new job doesn’t allow as much time for scavenging wood, or processing it sadly.
Panther wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 3:32 pm Two tons of coal arrived last week. This week I spent two days cutting wood into handy, burnable lengths. Soon be ready for Winter! :lol:
Good idea, time for another wood delivery. Not looking forward to restocking it though. :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I spent the weekend clearing an area at the bottom of the garden in preparation for a new shed - 10 x 8 - Very excited as it's my first ever real shed - an embarrassment at my age! :-D

Going heavy-duty so hopefully it's going to be sturdy & will hold some lesser-value preps, hoping to be able to do something to add even more security to the one outward-facing wall of it that doesn't obviously shout "oi, valuable stuff 'ere"...

It'll also allow me to move lots of stuff from the house/loft which then frees up internal storage space for useful preps..
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

peejay wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:07 pm I spent the weekend clearing an area at the bottom of the garden in preparation for a new shed - 10 x 8 - Very excited as it's my first ever real shed - an embarrassment at my age! :-D

Going heavy-duty so hopefully it's going to be sturdy & will hold some lesser-value preps, hoping to be able to do something to add even more security to the one outward-facing wall of it that doesn't obviously shout "oi, valuable stuff 'ere"...

Look at spur shelving for the exposed wall screw into the frame instant steel reinforcement ;)

And almost unlimited shelving adjustment
images(32).jpg
Ensure the corners are bolted through with coach bolts so you can't undo them from outside

At the sacrifice of space line the inside with ply or OSB getting fancy some pir or polystyrene sheet behind will help keep it warm / cool Between the framing

Get one without a window

As for the door brace it fit butt hinges with hinge pins and a couple of decent locks that you can't get a bolt cutters to as all preppers seem to like their bolt cutters ;)

Battery alarms
And pir lights have their place too

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

images(32).jpg
images(32).jpg (6.03 KiB) Viewed 1247 times