How did you became interested in prepping?

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: How did you became interested in prepping?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I can't find the video of the herd mentally....

Big group of students

Done on a aeroplane and a supermarket....

Trained to exit when the alarm goes off in a ordally manor

Alarm goes off out they all file (supermarket by the entrance door)

Next same experiment but £50 shopping voucher to first 20 out....

They had to blow a whistle to end the exercise as people were trampling and crushing each other for £50!

Image the supermarket on a Saturday morning and a fridge catching fire belching black smoke out and a big bang and fire ball as the masses try to escape....

Or do they....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mFLIdZGaZ-Y

(Also shows a good reason latest bs regs prohibit powder in buildings except for high risks due to obstrubification )
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GPS

Post by GPS »

Even if you are familiar with the equipment, if you're in an unfamiliar place then you're both less effective and potentially a hazard to yourself and any rescuers. There's a lot to be said for getting the feck out of a bad situation whether its fire, flood or nutter with a gun. Panic, maybe, also survival instinct, if you have enough about you to keep your head while doing it then brilliant, but if you get out and others didn't you can get the 'survivor guilt' etc, the mind is a funny thing, there are those on here who know far more about it than my homespun approach, over to them.....[/quote]

There is a reason for the 'Flight' part of the 'fight or flight' I suppose.
GPS

Post by GPS »

The engagement with my questions and discussion in this thread is really helpful (and also really thought provoking) so once again I want to say thank you very much. Moving on from the general 'how did you get into prepping?' questions I thought I would keep the momentum of this thread up by trying to create a new area of discussion (if it suits better to create a new thread please say so).

Anyway, one of the obvious ways in which we try to understand how people manage risk (and consequently prepare for this as a result) is through trying to paint a broader picture of how we see the future. For example over 60% of people in Western Europe and America think that their children will be worse off than them both financially and socially. This is a dramatic change from previous gnerations which tended to be more optimisitic. Does anyone have any thoughts on that - both the level of cynicism displayed here and their own views on the world the next generation will live in?
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

GPS wrote:The engagement with my questions and discussion in this thread is really helpful (and also really thought provoking) so once again I want to say thank you very much. Moving on from the general 'how did you get into prepping?' questions I thought I would keep the momentum of this thread up by trying to create a new area of discussion (if it suits better to create a new thread please say so).

Anyway, one of the obvious ways in which we try to understand how people manage risk (and consequently prepare for this as a result) is through trying to paint a broader picture of how we see the future. For example over 60% of people in Western Europe and America think that their children will be worse off than them both financially and socially. This is a dramatic change from previous gnerations which tended to be more optimisitic. Does anyone have any thoughts on that - both the level of cynicism displayed here and their own views on the world the next generation will live in?

That would probably best to start another thread as it can get a bit confusing and you new question could get lost in answers.
Cheers. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
GPS

Post by GPS »

Brambles wrote:
GPS wrote:The engagement with my questions and discussion in this thread is really helpful (and also really thought provoking) so once again I want to say thank you very much. Moving on from the general 'how did you get into prepping?' questions I thought I would keep the momentum of this thread up by trying to create a new area of discussion (if it suits better to create a new thread please say so).

That would probably best to start another thread as it can get a bit confusing and you new question could get lost in answers.
Cheers. :)
No problem. Thank you. See it here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14983
born prepper

Post by born prepper »

To me, prepping, like another person above said, is just common sense.

I have money saved incase I loose my job, or have an unexpected expense
I have food stored incase I get snowed in (have done before)
I have water stored incase the water gets shut off
I have a way to generate electric when the power goes off
I have some weapons to protect myself, and also hunt with, because I like hunting
I have knives, torches, because they are cool, and I like gadgets, but they are also very handy

I was thinking earlier today, I think I am labeled a prepper because I like tactical gear, and also have some backup plans if SHTF.

Over and out :)
Survival and Preparedness Tips: http://bornprepper.com

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!
My blog contains Amazon Affiliate Links.
jenny1

Post by jenny1 »

I store water because the water was cut off three times in three years
I store lights and heating supplies because the electricity was cut off four times in five years
I store food because I had a bad year where I barely had enough money to buy food
I save money for the above reason
I store medicines because I have been ill with nothing in the house to take

My quality of life has gone up since I started prepping :shock:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jenny1 wrote:I store water because the water was cut off three times in three years
I store lights and heating supplies because the electricity was cut off four times in five years
I store food because I had a bad year where I barely had enough money to buy food

Its why we do it. Even down to daft things, I like to keep a supply in if we use it, even vino, we're fond of that so I store it.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jenny1 wrote:I store water because the water was cut off three times in three years

This is what Prepping is all about, solving "Bumps in the road" before they happen (or at least before they happen Again :| ).

TEOTWAWKI makes for great fiction, but prepping Only for it makes for a crappy life.

Life without vino/chocolate/the Beano/*insert little pleasures here* is possible..... But it makes Jack a dull boy.

I can't remember if I've posted in this thread, but for me its because I'm a middle-aged Boy-Scout
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote: This is what Prepping is all about, solving "Bumps in the road" before they happen (or at least before they happen Again :| ).

TEOTWAWKI makes for great fiction, but prepping Only for it makes for a crappy life.

Life without vino/chocolate/the Beano/*insert little pleasures here* is possible..... But it makes Jack a dull boy.

I can't remember if I've posted in this thread, but for me its because I'm a middle-aged Boy-Scout
Aye, me too. :oops: Was bivvying in the woods the other week with an old mate and neither of us could put our finger on why we loved it so much and just settled on us being a pair of bloody kids. :lol:

Its easy to come up with all sorts of rationale's for why we do things, generally we like to be able to justify our actions in a positive light, same with prepping but we wouldn't do it if we hated it. Agree with your reasons for prepping, I'm the same and we hate running out of anything apart from fresh stuff, it happens from time to time but its all about the 'bumps', not the zombies.