What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Added 4 x 500ml bottles of methylated spirit to the
Stockpile 99p a bottle in home bargains ..near enough £4 a bottle in bq
IMG_20170320_183902230.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

This weekend, I am....

1) Ordering my 2nd from last batch of prep stuff from Amazon - which consists of....
1 x set of mini lightweight bolt cutters (for cutting fences, barbed wire, etc in the event of a bug off)
1 set of eye googles and 3 x face masks - to be carried in my everyday bag in case of emergency smoke/dust etc
2 x Mosquito head nets - to go into the bug out kits

2) Converting a part of my garden into my wifes new Vegi patch. Tomorrow, all the stuff she ordered is delivered....
2 x tonnes of top soil
5 x bags of vegi fertilizer to be mixed in
18 x Railway sleeper type beams to build a raised bed

3) Picking up a new fire place (Gas balanced flue) to replace the existing broken down one - this gets fitted on Monday.
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Added 4 x 500ml bottles of methylated spirit to the
Stockpile 99p a bottle in home bargains ..near enough £4 a bottle in bq
IMG_20170320_183902230.jpg

Good Find Andy, just called into my local Home Bargains and stocked up on four bottles myself. Quite a saving on everywhere else.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just taken almost the entire family on a paediatric first aid course
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I used the last jar of Chilli last night :cry: So today I bought 5lbs mince, 5lbs pork shoulder and 5lbs chicken thighs. Tomorrow that lot will be made into Chilli, BBQ pulled Pork and the Chicken and half the mince will be canned as is.
Then sit down and watch qualifying of the Australian Grand Prix. :mrgreen:
Later I want to be at the allotment planting onion sets and Broad Bean plants I've been growing at home and maybe bring home some Rhubarb. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

I've added some steel wool and a Duracell 9V battery to my everyday carry firelighting kit. Just press the battery to the steel wool completing the circuit and the stuff goes up in flames even when wet.

I also purchased a Swedish Army LK35 backpack made by Haglofs for £20 from Military Mart. Bargain! I plan to use it as my Bushcraft pack but it could also double as as bug out bag later if I really wanted to, although I might want something a bit more low key for that. What I really like though is that it is an external frame pack, and that there is bags of room for hanging things out on the top, side and bottom. A couple of dry bags and you could have your entire sleep system including tent, mat, sleeping bag, tarp and bivvy on the outside leaving masses of room inside for your clothes, food, cooking system and other supplies.

shocker

Post by shocker »

Cool, you got one ! How is it on the contact points to the body ? I looked at it myself but thought I would have to get some PLCE hip pads for the waist belt.

Oh yes, finally managed to get the old car that sat in the garden taken away so,

a) Mrs Shox isnt bending my ear quite as much, and
b) she can put up her di-pole antenna in the place where the car stood (well, slumped more like) and get our home to vehicle radio comms going.

Come to think of it, that means I can get my ear bent when I run away too, now. Doh !!! :oops:

PS- in all fairness, I wouldnt get my ear bent to start with if I wasnt such a slack tw@t and got on with stuff :cry:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

shocker wrote:PS- in all fairness, I wouldnt get my ear bent to start with if I wasnt such a slack tw@t and got on with stuff
Yes dear I'll do that dreckly ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Canning complete. I now have 7 jars Pork in barbeque sauce, 8 jars Chilli, 4 jars Chicken thighs in stock and 4 jars Beef mince in stock. Next up is to get some more Bacon canned.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

shocker wrote:Cool, you got one ! How is it on the contact points to the body ? I looked at it myself but thought I would have to get some PLCE hip pads for the waist belt.
It is surprisingly comfortable and holds way more than the stated 35L. I think it has to do with the design of the pack itself; most modern packs are very long and narrow meaning it's harder to pack bulky things like tents or large sleeping bags in them, or they have their volume spread over numerous compartments etc, whereas the LK35 is effectively one large canvas sack. It's not the lightest thing in the world at just over 2Kg, but it's built like a tank, very waterproof and the metal frame allows air to circulate around your back so you don't get any hotspots.

I've only hiked with it once so far and it's been fine. I think I will eventually mod it when I can get hold of some of the side pouches, and I'd like to eventually add a waist belt to make it even more comfortable.