What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
Britcit

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by Britcit »

Have just spent the weekend slowly freezing the end result of our first pig.

137kg of meat :D

The local slaugterman complimented us achieving that weigh with such little fat as a normal weight (he says) is between 87 - 100kg.

I do miss Ziggy a little now. He used to greet me at the gate when I got home. I am glad he's gone now though. He nearly savaged me in a toe to toe fight and the garden is caked in poop.

All I need to do now is collect all the poop for the compost heap.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:I've had a review of my EDC with the aim of making it more compact. I find it tends to grow over time, like my waist size does.
I'm having the same issue (kit and waistline) but my problem is I wear a rucksack for work and the wastebelt of that stops me wearing a beltkit, in all honestly I really can't fit much more than a small torch into the rucksack, it's already a silly weight and full. I have thought of putting a pouch sort of low slung to dangle under the wastebelt of the bergan but I think it'll wobble about and get in my way.
I even considered a chest rig but that'll make me look a bit like a suicide bomber and I don't fancy that idea, and I'll look a wally. (well more of a wally :D )
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:I've had a review of my EDC with the aim of making it more compact. I find it tends to grow over time, like my waist size does.
I'm having the same issue (kit and waistline) but my problem is I wear a rucksack for work and the wastebelt of that stops me wearing a beltkit, in all honestly I really can't fit much more than a small torch into the rucksack, it's already a silly weight and full. I have thought of putting a pouch sort of low slung to dangle under the wastebelt of the bergan but I think it'll wobble about and get in my way.
I even considered a chest rig but that'll make me look a bit like a suicide bomber and I don't fancy that idea, and I'll look a wally. (well more of a wally :D )
This is it, I'm sure we'd all carry more but going out to get the shopping wearing a set of webbing would get the odd raised eyebrow, same when you go for a couple of beers. Its where you draw the line yourself. A lot of places its just not practical to take even a small rucksack so its a case of filling pockets. For me EDC is what I can carry in my breeks pockets initially and if I'm going any distance I'll grab a jacket and this gives me more pocket options. Any more than that like a rucksack isn't really my EDC. Its easier if you spend your time in a vehicle, you can stow a bag in there but personally its all about the pockets baby. :D
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Deeps wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:
This is it, I'm sure we'd all carry more but going out to get the shopping wearing a set of webbing would get the odd raised eyebrow, same when you go for a couple of beers. Its where you draw the line yourself. A lot of places its just not practical to take even a small rucksack so its a case of filling pockets. For me EDC is what I can carry in my breeks pockets initially and if I'm going any distance I'll grab a jacket and this gives me more pocket options. Any more than that like a rucksack isn't really my EDC. Its easier if you spend your time in a vehicle, you can stow a bag in there but personally its all about the pockets baby. :D
You need to come over to the dark side and get yourself a tin of Altoids!
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

[quote="Briggs 2.0"[/quote]

You need to come over to the dark side and get yourself a tin of Altoids![/quote]

I've considered something along those lines and I've got a couple of wee pouches that i put stuff in (I'm on a choo choo now so have a pouch of extra stuff and a 6000MaH power bar in my jacket pocket along with a jacket cree etc) but from what I've seen a lot of the stuff folk put in tins I have anyway, either in a wallet or pocket. I'm an open minded guy though, never say never and all that. :)
Code_Black007

Post by Code_Black007 »

I recently bought a museum quality 'size 1' S10 Gas Mask survival booklet and haversack!.. Most have said that this is a pointless and it serves no function.. Well in the event of marauding hordes or civil unrest and police tear gas is used.. And if i needed to bug out, cut a path through 'gas detonation' a respirator would be very useful. Also I think they are very cool!!! :-)
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Marauding hordes and civil unrest with tear gas, and you're wearing a resi, you're the man I'm going to baton gun and/or shoot first, fact.

Much better to mark and avoid or stay in and lock the doors.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Captain Darling wrote:Marauding hordes and civil unrest with tear gas, and you're wearing a resi, you're the man I'm going to baton gun and/or shoot first, fact.

Much better to mark and avoid or stay in and lock the doors.

Stop been so nice Darling ;)

I wouldn't fancy your chances using a second hand effectively scrap mask against anything more noxious than a fart after a curry. ... And even that might be risky ;)

If it doesn't fit your face. Its useless (in industry people get fit tested before issue of RPE)

If its got a leak say where the eye pieces fit or the speech diaphragm/ split its useless... Leaky exhale valve / damaged cartridge seal / past its service life head harness (looses elasticity) or the reflex seal is hard you won't get a seal.. .

Facial hair.. Grow some manly stubble you won't get a good seal.

Age of cartridge if its out of date or open it will be degraded in terms of protection...

Then you need to know how to safely and effectively decontaminate yourself... ..

You'd be better off been buying a industrial face mask ahfer been face fit tested or a escape hood

http://www.gasmask-respirators.co.uk/dr ... AjNf8P8HAQ

Oh and keep out of reach of others saw the panic flapping of a bloke in a local army surplus who donned a Russian mask with filter in place complete with rubber inlet bung fitted he breathed out but couldn't inhale or remove the mask from his head..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Code_Black007 wrote:I recently bought a museum quality 'size 1' S10 Gas Mask survival booklet and haversack!.. Most have said that this is a pointless and it serves no function.. Well in the event of marauding hordes or civil unrest and police tear gas is used.. And if i needed to bug out, cut a path through 'gas detonation' a respirator would be very useful. Also I think they are very cool!!! :-)
I remember being issued with mine and being told at the time that it doesn't work on smoke and has no underwater capability (they actually said that) And I was planning on diving the titanic... :lol:
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

sniper 55 wrote:
Code_Black007 wrote:I recently bought a museum quality 'size 1' S10 Gas Mask survival booklet and haversack!.. Most have said that this is a pointless and it serves no function.. Well in the event of marauding hordes or civil unrest and police tear gas is used.. And if i needed to bug out, cut a path through 'gas detonation' a respirator would be very useful. Also I think they are very cool!!! :-)
I remember being issued with mine and being told at the time that it doesn't work on smoke and has no underwater capability (they actually said that) And I was planning on diving the titanic... :lol:
Mine didn't work all that well on tear gas either.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors