What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by jansman »

7 lives wrote:oops pressed the wrong button and my post disappeared!
Am new to prepping so have done very basic stuff this week
Sorted out pantry labelled the cans with use by dates and made list of more to get.
Went to Wing Yip and got 2 large sacks of rice as we eat a lot in our house=not too sure best way to store it!
Got emergency medical kit together plus wind up torches etc
Dehydrated our apple glut together with our favourite-pineapples picked up cheap.
Cleaned the camping cooker and checked the gas cannisters.
Love prepping!
We have taken to purchasing rice in bulk too. Keep it in a dark, cool place. We are fortunate that we have a walk in pantry where we store such stuff. It basically needs a steady temperature. The main thing though is make sure it is in sealed containers. Food grade ideally with a lid. However, you could get a new plastic dustbin and just pop the whole sack in as it is. Keeps any vermin out.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
hobo

Post by hobo »

This week seems to be the peak of gathering in tons of allotment food, so any time outside the studio is picking, freezing, pickling and jam making. Made some lush tomato soup tonight and froze half :)
7 lives

Post by 7 lives »

Thanks Jansman-read somewhere that if properly stored rice can keep for up to 30 years-will look at food grade tubs. :D
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Had a HUGE de-clutter over the last few weeks, so much thrown out/given away/recycled, it already feels better.

And have made 90 jars of jam, went a bit mad. We'll survive TEOTWAWKI, but diabetes will get us about 6 months after, I reckon.
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

featherstick wrote:Had a HUGE de-clutter over the last few weeks, so much thrown out/given away/recycled, it already feels better.

And have made 90 jars of jam, went a bit mad. We'll survive TEOTWAWKI, but diabetes will get us about 6 months after, I reckon.
90 Jars?

Thats makes my 15 look a little sad really, well i suppose you can trade or barter with them.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

We got some (small) plums from a friend, now 3 small pots of jam, the usual extra tins, some cheap aldi spag in tom sauce (which I think tastes better than the pricier stuff), and meatballs. I've also been cracking on with my dehydrating, trying peppers (capsicums) for the first time, results to be confirmed tomorrow so fingers crossed. I've also just bought the Anker 14W solar power jobby that I've had my eye on for usb powered devices, I cocked up and didn't change the delivery to the free one so I should be getting it in 2 days as opposed to 4 or whatever, Grrrrr.

I'm feeling 'industrious' so I plan on getting loads done this week but my natural laziness might come to the fore, I've got previous for it. ;)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Deeps wrote:I've also been cracking on with my dehydrating, trying peppers (capsicums) for the first time, results to be confirmed tomorrow so fingers crossed.
I'm becoming resigned to the necessity of an electric dehydrator ... otherwise, there's so much sugar and vinegar involved, it gets ridiculous - diabetes, as featherstick says :mrgreen: or in my case worsening arthritis from all the vinegar. Grrr. I'll look forward to the dehydrating feedback :)
I've also just bought the Anker 14W solar power jobby that I've had my eye on for usb powered devices,
Details please :mrgreen:
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Deeps wrote:, some cheap aldi spag in tom sauce (which I think tastes better than the pricier stuff)

This sauce is great. From memory, it is all natural ingredients, and it's really versatile, as a spag bog sauce, or in soups, casseroles and so on. We buy it by the dozen.

Did a prep audit. We have enough tinned meat and veg to do us for a month, if the usual carbs were available. Need more tinned fruit and dried goods. Have enough gas to cook it. Have 120l of drinking water stored and another 100 outside in the water butt which would need treating. Water is our weak point at the moment and I want to get more and better set-up water butts outside. We have various candles, matches, lighters, bits of string, tools, etc. etc. to make the place safe and comfortable. The de-cluttering has given us extra storage space for e.g. bulk rice, lentils etc.

I have an itch to start developing some family protocols - family passwords, water treatment, etc. The boy is nearly 8 and showing an interest so now is the time to build on it.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

The-Mendologist wrote:
featherstick wrote:Had a HUGE de-clutter over the last few weeks, so much thrown out/given away/recycled, it already feels better.

90 Jars?

Thats makes my 15 look a little sad really, well i suppose you can trade or barter with them.
Yes, but I started with 15 as well, and I have been known to make as few as 5 when the strawberries were reduced on the Monday after Wimbledon. Every little helps. If you do want to make jam on a regular basis, a maslin pan, jam funnel, thermometer and a tongs are really worthwhile investments, they make the whole process a LOT easier.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

featherstick wrote:
I The boy is nearly 8 and showing an interest so now is the time to build on it.

Remember opsec as kids can't keep quiet... Our stuff gets branded as camping stuff... Tins of food get used when camping same for bottles of water. Its not questioned by them

No one declines a very warm sleeping bag on the cooler nights ;-)

Camping stove also doubles as back up cooker if electric meter is `low on credit' for example

And if there's a power cut we use the camping lights ;)

No point in scaring or confusing them but building useable skills through fun such as camping and playing in the garden / woods IMO
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine