common sense v council planning

How are you preparing
7 lives

common sense v council planning

Post by 7 lives »

Thank goodness I am learning prepping.
Living in a village known to flood I do wonder at the sanity of the powers that be.
In the past floodwater has overwhelmed our village drains and arrived uninvited along with next doors koi carp into our home.
So the bods at the planning dept who no doubt have ologies galore giving planning permission in unsuitable places have allowed a planning application at the back of our home.
The site was designated agricultural land-easily bypassed by the owner mowing the meadow a couple of times-was renamed domestic and hay presto more houses to cripple even further the drains.
The access to this new development is along a single track straight onto a busy main road where there have been several serious accidents.
What really riles me is that after the environmental agency getting the local landowners to clear the ditches our risk assessment for flooding is acceptable!
So back with renewed vigour to prepping for the inevitable water incident-mustn't call it a flood!
Am I cynical or has the landowners friendship with a couple of bods on the planning dept got any relevance......
Anyone any experience of pumping equipment?
Brambles

Re: common sense v council planning

Post by Brambles »

Yorkshire Andy is your man. He's the go to guy for anything mechanical, I'm sure he'll be along in a while. :D

A couple of things. 1) contact environment agency for a flood report for your area, 2) send flood report, along with a copy of the proposed development plan to your MP, the County Council, the local and national rag and finally to the Environment Minister voicing your concerns and historical flooding problems. You don't have to take this sort of thing lying down.

I have seen some folk in flood areas vacate their ground floor and build 1st floor extensions on pillars so that any flooding no longer affects them. Any chance you could do this?. I take it that moving is out of the question.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

I'm no expert on this 7 lives, but before they build houses on that site haven't they got to consult with the locals first? Would this give you a platform to protest against them building on the land?

Phil
cumbrianish

Post by cumbrianish »

Anyone can object to a planning application you don't have to live in the area. And you can do this online too.
Forewarned is forearmed
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
7 lives

Post by 7 lives »

Thanks all-the application was approved despite our best efforts but at least we tried.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I would still go to the press, Environment Minister and your MP about it. Planning can be revoked as well as granted and it sounds like you have a pretty good case, especially with the previous flooding problems.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon