What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by jansman »

Our Summer will be spent stocking up on food, solid fuel and other consumables. Looks like my lovely Wife is to be made redundant by the Autumn. Losing your job is crap.
On a positive note, the garden is doing well, there is plenty of free firewood to be had and we have no debt. Apart from the brand new motor we just got after I got my old one smashed up! :D happy days! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Ohh what car you got? :D
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have had my Wife's 09 plate Corsa (only 20,000 miles on the clock!) and she is having a Zetec Fiesta. Given that redundancy will mean serious commuting, this is a good move from a reliability angle.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

The corsas are not bad little runners sharing the fiat grande punto floor pan

Dare I ask how the insurance claim is going?

HBP

Post by HBP »

This week I have:

Finally got round to canning all of the tomatoes I grew over the summer. I froze them all knowing that they would be making sauce from them. Now have a cupboard full of tomato sauce in 1 pint jars

Built a new 20m dipole antenna and strung it up between 2 trees so its better aligned for Europe than my other antenna.

Made a 2m delta loop antenna for my hand held radios. http://www.k2zs.com/indoor-vhf-antennas/vhf-delta-loop

Finished splitting a couple of tress I felled and logged earlier in the year. Should be good and dry by next winter.

Made some more dry cure bacon from some loin left over from the last pig we slaughtered.

Rotated some of the petrol I had stored through one of the cars and replenished it.

Quite a busy week so far :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:The corsas are not bad little runners sharing the fiat grande punto floor pan

Very well. They are not making a big deal out of it. Courtesy car was delivered same day, insurance solicitor in contact. No hassle. The pay off will take a while, but it will come back. Thanks for asking.
Top Tip for preppers. Buy decent insurance for all things.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Are you claiming via the third party or using your own company as a go between ?

Mate of mine is in insurance game and has used a little known kink in the regs that a 3rd party has no right to salvage just renumurate you for your loss he got a full pay out kept the car and sold most bits on a marque forum then weighed the shell in

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote:The corsas are not bad little runners sharing the fiat grande punto floor pan

Very well. They are not making a big deal out of it. Courtesy car was delivered same day, insurance solicitor in contact. No hassle. The pay off will take a while, but it will come back. Thanks for asking.
Top Tip for preppers. Buy decent insurance for all things.
This is a good point, a real 'first world problem' I know but I was talking about landlords insurance today with a mate, we've both had issues in the past and I was saying spending that bit extra is worth it in the long run. We steer clear of the cheapest quotes usually, the 'small print' has bitten us in the arse a couple of times, like most things, you get what you pay for.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Exactly! Yorkshire Andy, I am leaving it all to my company. Job done. In fact it was almost instantly out of my hands. Before I knew it a claim was in for whiplash, superficial burns ( from the airbags),damage to clothes AND all the shopping I had done. Sent in photos of glass all over 1/4 million tins of beans etc. :lol: and the reciept, job done. Doubled my stash ! I also have to see an insurance doctor now. I will just make out it has made me very nervous about driving through traffic lights and Ker-Ching! Payday. Sounds mercenary but I ain't losing out.

As I said, good insurance is worth it. Certainly is a First World Prep as Deeps rightly called it.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Haplo2481

Post by Haplo2481 »

I put my chainsaw to a proper test today. The manager at work asked if I wanted a couple of trees that he needed out of the way. I hadn't felled a tree before so I offered to share them with a colleague who has. He got some wood and I got some one to watch over me and offer advice. We got over a weeks worth each. :)
Too many bunnies, not enough pandas.