"Overlooked Preps"

How are you preparing
alwayscross

Re: "Overlooked Preps"

Post by alwayscross »

I think the two most overlooked things is prepping for danger and dropping kit. I understand a lot of people prep for danger but its to a minimum, when I say danger I mean groups of people and being ganged on. If someone is being ganged on it doesn't matter if there carrying a knife or if there the world best boxer, they are in trouble Passage removed by Mod due to illegal items/activities being mentioned. Another thing is prepping for night time danger, example is getting snuck up on at night. When your asleep you are extremely vulnerable, takes one guy with a knife to end your life. A way to deal with this is a dog or trip wire alarms, trip wire alarms are just trip wires attached to a noise system (e.g pull pin alarms, tin canes, etc). Both have there ups and downs, dogs need constant food and trip wires take time to set up. there is obviously more but I wont waste more time. The second one is dropping kit, what happens if you need to drop your BOB during the bugging out. If your being chassed and cant out run that group of people you need to drop your bag, but what are you left with? Naturally you have your EDC, but can that get you through the worst. There are multiple ways to deal with this but I feel the best ways are having a pouch loaded with a decent amount of gear, have gear located at a pre-made bug out base or leave another bag at home which you can retreat to.
Morality is doing what's right, no matter what your told. Religion is doing what your told, no matter what is right.
BaseOne

Post by BaseOne »

All sounds rather extreme and I've just got images of my dog setting off the trip wire :o

IMO, no prepper is ever going to survive on their own (unless locked in a hidden bunker with plenty of supplier). Post-collapse, if you haven't managed to link up with a group of like-minded people, it's only a matter of time before you starve, get weak and just fade away.
alwayscross

Post by alwayscross »

BaseOne wrote:All sounds rather extreme and I've just got images of my dog setting off the trip wire :o

IMO, no prepper is ever going to survive on their own (unless locked in a hidden bunker with plenty of supplier). Post-collapse, if you haven't managed to link up with a group of like-minded people, it's only a matter of time before you starve, get weak and just fade away.
I agree about the group, as much as I like being a lone wolf its not realistic. A group may have a few disadvantages but the advantages out way them, problem is that I cant find any over prepper in my area :|
Morality is doing what's right, no matter what your told. Religion is doing what your told, no matter what is right.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Thought I'd mention it here as after a quick look at the thread titles it seemed most apt. I've recently started wearing glasses for reading and as a prepper/hoarder type I invested the princely sum of £1.49 on a spare set of reading glasses, it occurred to me that my eyes will get worse as time goes on so my 'tip' is to stock up on different strength cheapo glasses, apologies if this has been suggested already, I'm a recent 'specky' and never gave it a thought before.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote:Thought I'd mention it here as after a quick look at the thread titles it seemed most apt. I've recently started wearing glasses for reading and as a prepper/hoarder type I invested the princely sum of £1.49 on a spare set of reading glasses, it occurred to me that my eyes will get worse as time goes on so my 'tip' is to stock up on different strength cheapo glasses, apologies if this has been suggested already, I'm a recent 'specky' and never gave it a thought before.

For prescription glasses Google selectspecs I paid £12 for short sighted prescription with frames
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

As for other overlooked things

Hand lotion as your suddenly going to be exposed to all sorts they are not usually

Foot powder or talc err to keep your feet happy

Oh and a stash of multi vitamins
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
alwayscross

Post by alwayscross »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:As for other overlooked things

Hand lotion as your suddenly going to be exposed to all sorts they are not usually

Yeah, I have two bottles of hand lotion, it would be hard to survive an urban environment without it. I also have some lip chap, not high on one the prep list but still important.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

alwayscross wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote:As for other overlooked things

Yeah, I have two bottles of hand lotion, it would be hard to survive an urban environment without it. I also have some lip chap, not high on one the prep list but still important.
Lip chap is a useful prep as it can be used as a candle with a wick threaded through it, it can be smeared on to cotton wool the same as vaseline. https://youtu.be/MijuU60WfCo
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Read an article recently on soil erosion and how viability of soil is decreasing at an alarming rate. I have a stash of seeds for future use but hadn't thought of compost or fertiliser as being a necessary prep, do now, though they do have a bbd so need to work out how much to store for next year.