What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
nickdutch

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by nickdutch »

I ended my experimental fast this morning. I managed 2 days on water alone and 4 days on vegetable and fruit juices juiced at home. I chose to do it as I had digestive issues and it seemed like an idea to kill two birds with one stone.

Symptoms included, nausea (sometimes really bad), headaches and fatigue or being spaced (sometimes to the point of having to concentrate really hard when I got up. I also became an early riser and got up at ludicrous o'clock in the morning after very little sleep. I am now "re-feeding" using blended drinks (green smoothies) as my main meal choices prior to getting myself back to solid foods bit by bit. It was truly an interesting experience.

On another point, I have decided to plant my dandelion and chickweed seeds (wild nutrition!) in the wild (corner of a local park) where dogs are less likely to go and some place I can get to with great ease and pick my "crop" as we get closer to the spring proper :)

I have also taken delivery of a manual auger juicer which is a cheap plastic job that works well, but is a bit fiddly to use. But on the other hand, its not mains powered.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Just finished filling tinned basket 2, starting on basket 3, these baskets have various tinned meats, rice pudding, cooking sauces etc in them, listed with best before dates, as a basket comes towards having a few tins heading towards the end of their BB date, i'll empty basket and fill it, like for like and then re list all dates.

IMG_0506[1].jpg
Up in the wet South Lakeland
OCDprepgirl

Post by OCDprepgirl »

DustyDog wrote:Just finished filling tinned basket 2, starting on basket 3, these baskets have various tinned meats, rice pudding, cooking sauces etc in them, listed with best before dates, as a basket comes towards having a few tins heading towards the end of their BB date, i'll empty basket and fill it, like for like and then re list all dates.
Those baskets look robust - do you mind me asking where they're from please?
hobo

Post by hobo »

OCDprepgirl wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else would count this as prepping but this week as well as adding to my stores etc, I'm faithfully sticking to my eating plan to lose weight. I'm counting this as I'm decreasing health implications of obesity (3.5 stone down, 2.5 to go!) and getting light enough to increase my cardiac fitness without my knees (messed up along with my hip in a motorbike accident) falling off :)
That's a really important prep OCDprepgirl! My physio said every 1lb equals 4lbs on your knees (maybe he said each knee!). So I'm with you on the eating plan plus the gym 3 times a week. I've also got 2.5 stone I want to lose too. :)
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

OCDprepgirl wrote:
DustyDog wrote:Just finished filling tinned basket 2, starting on basket 3, these baskets have various tinned meats, rice pudding, cooking sauces etc in them, listed with best before dates, as a basket comes towards having a few tins heading towards the end of their BB date, i'll empty basket and fill it, like for like and then re list all dates.
Those baskets look robust - do you mind me asking where they're from please?
They are dairy crates, what plastic cartons of milk get delivered in, these ones stack well (i keep home brew bottles in them too), i got these from a catering supplier (i'm a chef) in return for a couple of bottles of brew. :lol: I'm pretty sure you can get them from second hand junk yard type places too or try a well known search engine.
OCDprepgirl

Post by OCDprepgirl »

hobo wrote:
OCDprepgirl wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else would count this as prepping but this week as well as adding to my stores etc, I'm faithfully sticking to my eating plan to lose weight. I'm counting this as I'm decreasing health implications of obesity (3.5 stone down, 2.5 to go!) and getting light enough to increase my cardiac fitness without my knees (messed up along with my hip in a motorbike accident) falling off :)
That's a really important prep OCDprepgirl! My physio said every 1lb equals 4lbs on your knees (maybe he said each knee!). So I'm with you on the eating plan plus the gym 3 times a week. I've also got 2.5 stone I want to lose too. :)
I'll be mentally cheering you on :D I'm really looking forward to getting out and running again, very useful survival skill! Are you going cardio/weights/both?

Dusty Dog - thank you for the info :) I will look around as they look just the right size for some nooks in the house I'm going to commandeer for storage
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

hobo wrote:
OCDprepgirl: Health is an important prep
Loosing weight can be part of this, as long as you remember that BMI alone is not a good indicator.
Can you swim? Its a good exercise for people with joint issues.(as well as being a useful skill )
And walking as fast as you can burns more calories then jogging slowly. (kinder on the knees etc as well)
Think of it as walking is first gear and running is second,you have to rev your engine harder for the same speed and so burn more fuel.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

The solar generator is now finished and it works as I'd hoped. I now have mobile power! :) It looks pretty ugly at the moment as the box is still in the planning stage (read no.1 son hasn't built it yet) but nevertheless I'm very happy with the results.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Brambles can you tell us more bout your solar gennie??? Maybe some pics please.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

DustyDog wrote:Brambles can you tell us more bout your solar gennie??? Maybe some pics please.
Will have a go at a show and tell.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon