Prep Calculator

How are you preparing
bikerjoe83

Prep Calculator

Post by bikerjoe83 »

I'm just surfing the interweb looking for new sites to learn from and found this (this isn't promotion of any sort...):

http://www.p2snetwork.co.uk/psclite.html

I input 1 adult male, 1 adult female and 1 child. Are the numbers anywhere near realistic? I mean, 15 tubes of toothpaste for three months?? My partner and I brush twice a day and get through one of those standy-uppy Colgate solid tubes every three weeks. Even with the littl'un I'd reckon we would need no more than 6 or 7 tubes absolute maximum.

3 litres of shampoo?? 1620 teabags?? 27kg sugar?? That's around one bag every 3 to 4 days! I guess whoever made this calculator drinks an awful lot of tea and coffee with lots of sugar!

Imagine if people are actually relying on this calculator...
Hamradioop

Re: Prep Calculator

Post by Hamradioop »

depends how you use your toothpaste do you run a strip the length of the head or just a pea sized dollop?
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
cumbrianish

Post by cumbrianish »

I've tried creating my own list (I'm a list kind of person) based on how much I would normally use in a week so for example I know I use one 500ml bottle of shampoo in about 6 months so that's 1 litre of shampoo per person per year and so on.

For food I've tried to guesstimate based on meals so I weighed out much pasta I cook for myself add half a jar of premade sauce and so on.

I like the saying store what you eat and eat what you store!
Forewarned is forearmed
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

Not sure the numbers add up 63kg of sugar to last 90 days, and 3780 tea bags is 42 tea bags a day!!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Area 4
handyandy

Post by handyandy »

that 'calculator's def a bit vague.I think a lot of people (myself included) check out whats dirt cheap/on offer at tescos etc and chuck a few extra items into the trolley.
this means a surplus of large 20p jars of curry sauce,20p noodles,pasta etc,17p tins of custard etc etc.
each person will have their own list and different priorities on that list ,ie,i have way less water than on the calculator but I have a borehole drilled but petrol to
drive the generator which powers the pump is a high priority.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

bikerjoe83 wrote:I'm just surfing the interweb looking for new sites to learn from and found this (this isn't promotion of any sort...):

http://www.p2snetwork.co.uk/psclite.html

I input 1 adult male, 1 adult female and 1 child. Are the numbers anywhere near realistic? I mean, 15 tubes of toothpaste for three months?? My partner and I brush twice a day and get through one of those standy-uppy Colgate solid tubes every three weeks. Even with the littl'un I'd reckon we would need no more than 6 or 7 tubes absolute maximum.

3 litres of shampoo?? 1620 teabags?? 27kg sugar?? That's around one bag every 3 to 4 days! I guess whoever made this calculator drinks an awful lot of tea and coffee with lots of sugar!

Imagine if people are actually relying on this calculator...
I had a go on the website out of interest, me and Mrs Deeps will go through 36 packs (of 30) wet wipes as well as the bog roll :o It probably doesn't help that she's a veggie either so our requirements will probably be a wee bit different. Anything that makes you think about your requirements can't be bad though.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

food storage calculator http://www.apocalypsehub.com/p/food-sto ... lator.html

spreadsheet down load http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2014/0 ... -download/

prepper quiz http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... -are-you1/

The spread sheet is customisable to your situation so I guess the most useful.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Typed us into it , two adults a nine year old and a baby and I reckon the results are off a long way. For example it said 52 rolls of toilet paper , although if we were getting through 67 tins of hot dog sausages in the same time then maybe just maybe :lol:
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

All these lists are just guidelines really. I believe they were the requirements of an individual or individuals who then factored in some other bits and pieces. I regard all these lists as a guide ONLY and massage them to fit our family.

So, for example

red sauce - we use approx four small bottles per annum, ditto brown sauce so they're dead easy to store for our needs
Peanut butter - computer says no! - I only store one jar because that's all we will eat before it goes out of date, but it's handy to have. Conversely we are big 'nut' fans so I have a rolling store of pistachios/peanuts/walnuts/cashews etc etc
Instant mash, computer says NOOOOO! - So I store kilos of rice/cous cous/pasta because that's what we do eat
Spam, SPAM? Nope, no way. Not happening ditto other items commonly listed. So here at Stashings we diversify. We have a huge variety of tinned meat stocked and tinned/potted pates. Ditto cream crackers, there are loads of different long term crackerish types available, so again we have a wide variety
You just need to look at what you eat, and what you're prepared to eat before items go out of code.

Coffee, we get thro a 200g jar of coffee a week, plus the odd cafetiere. The result is that I never have less than 12 jars of coffee plus some filter
Tea, out of deference to tea drinkers I always have at least 4 x 160 packets, - but who's going to drink it without real milk?

Toiletries - each to their own. You just need to know how long a tube of toothpaste lasts and then multiply the weeks until you reach 12, that's how much a three month store is. Ditto toilet paper, soap etc

The reality is, what I store would be hopeless for your family and vice versa. We all have our own comfort zone, each as individual as we are

Hope this is of some use :D
Knowledge is power
Bongo

Post by Bongo »

Spam, you cut it into a 1cm piece and you fry it like you would a black pudding, food of the gods...

Ive also on many occasions eaten items out of code, last thing was coffee whitener and a boil in the bag treacle pudding from a 2003 MRE last week sometime. If youve got the space then you keep stuff out of date, if you have to throw it then throw it in your chickens. Theyll eat anything..