What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
Smudge

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by Smudge »

Made £190 on sunday at the carboot, spent £20 on a new basha.

We're actual deprepping the house as we're trying to sell, burned and donated our wood store, disconnected the waterbarrel from the down pipe, working through clearing the veg beds.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Finding it difficult to sneakily prep with son in house when he doesn't know anything. Hubby keeps on appearing home early (well, earlier than normal). Managed to sneak a few pots of jam and marmalade into stores (NOT homemade and nowhere near 56 :)) and biscuits/chocolate. Not exactly a stunning example of prepping, but I'm under surveillance and it's tricky. I guess full-scale prepping will resume when the kids go back to school in the middle of August :(. Can't trust son yet not to blab, so leaving him out of the loop.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My food storage is overflowing :oops:

August is always a slow time for my self employed work, with lots of people being on holiday, so I've been making a to-do plan to 31 August ... focusses on getting the garden to rights, analysing what stocks I have in relation to portion numbers, and filling in any holes in supplies - I need some weed suppressant, to help the grass/soil border of wooden planks along, as well as fuel for the stoves. Plus more echinacea, and vit c tabs.

Finally got my health back, so I got a library book about back exercises - that bad back I had recently *really* slowed me down, I plan on that never happening again.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am glad you are well now. I understand how it is. My Wife suffers from a chronic digestive problem, and has good and bad days. The good days are good.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks Jansman! Yep, bad days, whether digestive or viral, are horrible - just surviving is all you can do with that. But I have to be careful not to cause a relapse by working too hard - I've completely lost control of the back of one border, which is a bit unfortunate, as the garden on the other side of that fence has been abandoned, so I get a lot of weeds creeping in from next door. But I can only do what I can. And there's that other little thing called having a life :lol:
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

purchased some more cylinders of gas for the camping stove incase the winter (or 2015!) brings powercuts, planning another ethanol production run too so that I will have home made ethanol for the ethanol stoves to go alongside the commercial bioethanol.

on week two of the 3 month herbal parasite cleanse that I have purchased which i hope will make me healthier for when the autumn and winter comes, However it seems to be giving me flu like symptoms at the moment.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

I don't know if this is classed as a " prep" but this weekend I am meeting two other preppers in Filey North Yorkshire, then we are camping out at Robin Hoods bay near Whitby before they move off up to Berwick on Tweed.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

preppergb wrote:I don't know if this is classed as a " prep" but this weekend I am meeting two other preppers in Filey North Yorkshire, then we are camping out at Robin Hoods bay near Whitby before they move off up to Berwick on Tweed.
"networking" (friend making) is always useful
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

This is even less 'prep' like. Having discussed the lights go out thread by itsy and the water/toilet nightmare conversation that followed we have decided to 'look' at replacing our ancient but incredibly reliable genny. This is major for us. Big Bertha has lived in her shed for years and with a bit of love and attention has ALWAYS come to our aid for days at a time. Replacing her will be a mammoth undertaking (not least because the shed was built round her) :lol:

Finding a genny that will run for days, reliably, without forcing me to sell body parts to pay for it is a scary prospect
Knowledge is power
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

The best generator I ever saw related to prepping was owned by a couple of Off Gridders in Devon, it was a totally refurbished twin cylinder Lister diesel type unit with big brass heavy flywheel / pully turning two alternators 12VDC. proper Heath Robinson but utterly reliable. Good luck finding a replacement but could you please make apost on what you choose to get and why ?

Stasher wrote:This is even less 'prep' like. Having discussed the lights go out thread by itsy and the water/toilet nightmare conversation that followed we have decided to 'look' at replacing our ancient but incredibly reliable genny. This is major for us. Big Bertha has lived in her shed for years and with a bit of love and attention has ALWAYS come to our aid for days at a time. Replacing her will be a mammoth undertaking (not least because the shed was built round her) :lol:

Finding a genny that will run for days, reliably, without forcing me to sell body parts to pay for it is a scary prospect