Re: Baby Preppers?

How are you preparing
JoshPreps

Post by JoshPreps »

So we've had our little girl for just short of 5 months now and although we still are what you would call Preppers. It's been quite a tiresome 5 months [as many of you with children can relate to] My little princess has down syndrome and we've been in and out of hospital with her which has been tough and it seems we have started slacking a little bit with our preps. On top of all this we are soon to be moving house [from a bungalow to a a 3 bed house] so it's more space to store more preps etc.
What I'm trying to get at, because of how tough our life has been turned around with our baby Ellie, she needs round the clock care. Not that I wish it was any different mind you! I love the bones off her but I just wondered what would happen if we needed to bug out? Would we as a family struggle? Simply because of her 'condition'?

Are there any extra preps that I could be doing to help, like stocking up on certain items etc?

Thanks in advance

Josh
jansman

Post by jansman »

Please do not obsess with bugging out. At the risk of attracting vitriol fom others to myself, 'bug out' is a bit of a survivalist fantasy-live-in-the-woods-out of my backpack-with Rambo knife for company-type thing.
Far better to have a (what we call) a 'Hotel bag', a change of clothes, toiletries, wallet, phone charger etc. just in case there is a gas leak in your street or somesuch. The contents are your choice, but they won't get you arrested, as would a typical 'Rambo ' bag.
If I were you, concentrate on your baby-they don't stay that way for long. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
JoshPreps

Post by JoshPreps »

Please do not obsess with bugging out. At the risk of attracting vitriol fom others to myself, 'bug out' is a bit of a survivalist fantasy-live-in-the-woods-out of my backpack-with Rambo knife for company-type thing.
Far better to have a (what we call) a 'Hotel bag', a change of clothes, toiletries, wallet, phone charger etc. just in case there is a gas leak in your street or somesuch. The contents are your choice, but they won't get you arrested, as would a typical 'Rambo ' bag.
If I were you, concentrate on your baby-they don't stay that way for long. :D
I get what your saying , we don't plan to bug out at all. But if we had to and being at home was no longer safe I was just wondering if we would become such a target simply because of little Ellie? My girlfriend at the moment stays at home while I work so if something was to happen and I wasn't there would she cope?
We're just trying to think of the worse then to eliminate them gradually, as obviously I would want to protect them both.

I'm going to put together that 'Hotel Bag', that seems like a good idea! So thanks for that.

Josh
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am afraid that children bring worries, and it never ends. As babies it is illnesses, as toddlers accidents, and adults, crashing cars!!! :(
From my own experiences it is a good idea to keep infant medication in such as Calpol (see your Pharmacist-there are MUCH cheaper generic alternatives!!) a good first aid kit which includes a thermometer. An electric fan to keep them cool in both hot weather, and if they have a fever (been there).
As for looking after your family, build up food stocks yes, but things like toilet paper, soap , cleaning materials etc. in fact try to round your supplies so that you do not have to shop for one week, then 4, and so on. It will help if you are ill/injured/ or heaven forbid redundant. Again, my family has been there on all those counts.
IMHO, that is Prepping. And as time goes by, if you want to add emergency lighting, cooking and communications, then you are streets ahead of the pack. In reality that means a camping stove/fuel,torch and a portable radio.
Sounds like you are doing a great job.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Have to say I think Jansman is spot on with this response
Knowledge is power
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Agree with all comments here.

Enjoy your daughter whilst she is still so young, time flies and you can't get the time back once its gone.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

I agree. Bugging out in this country is having to leave home in a hurry due to flooding, fire, etc. A zombie apocalypse is not likely and the UK really isn't big enough to stay off the radar anyway, never mind the weather. An immediate change of clothes and money/cards/insurance details will get you through until it's sorted out. Temporary power cuts, loss of running water and being snowed in can and do happen - most of my preps at the moment revolve around surviving comfortably for a while as a family, at home without alerting the neighbourhood that we have water, food, heat and light. Belated congratulations on the birth of your daughter. I'm sure you've already realised your life will never be the same again and has probably given you your "raison d'etre". Just do a wee bit at a time and don't let it consume you. Life is too short and babies are only babies for a very short time.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Although it is worrying do not obsess about her being down syndrome and just treat her as a normal baby, after all she does not know she is different. If she is on meds then make sure you have extra in your baby BOB as well as all the other stuff you will need with taking a baby out and about :lol: as most parents know this does include the kitchen sink. As she gets older you will get a feel for what she can and cant do and the docs should be able to tell you how bad she could be but don't take their word for it they can be wrong and she could be a lot better than they think. I find down syndrome children/adults a lot clever than most people think, they just think differently from us . As for health problems as we get older we get less healthy and have to start thinking out side the box to get round things , She will have an advantage over us as she will have spent her whole life thinking out side the box. As for being treated differently the answer I am sad to say is YES but then redheads are treated differently, all blonds are dumb, skin colour, different accent , the list is endless. It is the way we are built, luckily it is normally short lived and once we get to know people we do not look at them any differently and historically we protect them, although we may still poke fun at them(we are british after all)other groups are not aloud to. If you all have skills that people want you will be welcomed.
Sorry that was a bit lengthy :D
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I can't add anything to the post above from Jansman, Feisty and Junmist, they are all spot on. What I would say is check out the more rugged, big wheel pushchairs as opposed to the standard flimsy trolley-wheeled types. These are capable of storing more essential baby kit, they will be more mobile and easier to handle when loaded up and I would say that will provide more preparedness peace of mind when you're out and about and at home.

Briggs.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:I can't add anything to the post above from Jansman, Feisty and Junmist, they are all spot on. What I would say is check out the more rugged, big wheel pushchairs as opposed to the standard flimsy trolley-wheeled types. These are capable of storing more essential baby kit, they will be more mobile and easier to handle when loaded up and I would say that will provide more preparedness peace of mind when you're out and about and at home.

Briggs.
Sometimes called "Jogging Strollers"
A quick search on Amazon shows they're two to four times the price of a low-end pushchair but they seem to be adjustable to cover "Ages: Birth to Four Years"

Pros
Fairly common to see and therefore quite Grey
Big wheels means easier to push
Huge cargo space (it carries your baby-bag, not you)

Cons
Better engineering means higher cost
The folding ones don't fold as small as standard pushchairs.

Joy to you and yours
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar